[AppleTV2] Screen Flashing, then XBMC Quits
Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help with this as I'm really not sure what to do. Came home from work as normal turned on the ATV2 and after a few mins of navigating around the screen started to flash and go a little crazy and then XBMC crashed out and I was back to the Apple Frontrow screen. I went back into XBMC, changed skin and it happened again, and again no matter what I tried to do.

I ssh'd to the device and did an update but there was nothing available, so I am definitely on the latest stable release, and like I said it was working fine last night without problems.

Here is the logfile: http://pastebin.com/Nt5w1qCP and another: http://pastebin.com/RnRXWpC4

Any help would be fantastic as XBMC is currently un-usable Sad

Thanks
Darren
Devices using XBMC
iMac | MacBook | MacBook Air | AppleTV2 | iPad | iPhone4
I had a similar problem. Although XBMC has been working fine for weeks, today it crashed twice within a few minutes after starting a video. After that, I got an update notice for the new iOS. I didn't install it yet, but right now everything is running stable again.
lukenukem Wrote:I had a similar problem. Although XBMC has been working fine for weeks, today it crashed twice within a few minutes after starting a video. After that, I got an update notice for the new iOS. I didn't install it yet, but right now everything is running stable again.
Mine is far from stable, every time I go into XBMC this problem happens after a short period of time no matter if Im actually doing something or just leaving it without touching it from turning it on. I've had no prompts for updates or anything though as of yet, but I do know an update came out today...

It's really driving me crazy!!
Devices using XBMC
Do not use the Apple TV update!
Candor Wrote:Do not use the Apple TV update!
Don't worry I am aware of that, but well worth pointing out for those that might read this and update..

Just left the ATV2 on the main screen (not in XBMC) and its now prompted for the update, I choose update later... not sure how long later is?? Just launched XBMC again so will see what happens now. Maybe it is the ATV2 wanting to update causing this issue, I guess that would make sense as it has been running perfect right up until tonight...
Devices using XBMC
Been in XBMC for 10-15 mins now and it seems to be working okay, navigating around just as I would have done previously and its working as I would expect. Therefore this definately must be put down to Apple trying to send the prompt for upgrade to the ATV2, having now seen the prompt and rejected it all is good again Smile

Hopefully "upgrade later" means when i want though and not when Apple feels like pushing me a reminder as that would be a real pain in the bum. Thanks for the replies so far, and hopefully this thread will actually help others.
Devices using XBMC
Yeah thanks. Waiting for the "Update now!" message und choosing "Update later" at least solves the XBMC crash after a few minutes uptime.. Smile
If you have NitoTV installed you can switch off the firmware updates in the settings...
I have NitoTV installed and have the updates turned off. i'm getting the same crashes.

My log is looking odd though.. i'll try and get a copy of it and paste it here.

Edit : I've enabled the updates to see if i get the prompt that i can tell to bugger off Smile

My logs have been cleared but it did say something about comparing iOS versions 4.2.1 to 4.1 juts before the crash. I can't tell if it's XBMC that's crashing because of an issue, or it's Frontrow killing XBMC because it's failing to update..

Edit : Just got the prompt and told it i would update later.. Lets see if i can watch a movie without it bombing out now Smile
danmedhurst Wrote:I have NitoTV installed and have the updates turned off. i'm getting the same crashes.

My log is looking odd though.. i'll try and get a copy of it and paste it here.

Edit : I've enabled the updates to see if i get the prompt that i can tell to bugger off Smile

My logs have been cleared but it did say something about comparing iOS versions 4.2.1 to 4.1 juts before the crash. I can't tell if it's XBMC that's crashing because of an issue, or it's Frontrow killing XBMC because it's failing to update..

Edit : Just got the prompt and told it i would update later.. Lets see if i can watch a movie without it bombing out now Smile
Im sure it will be fine now... Soon as I dismissed it everything XBMC wise went back to how it had always been. 2 hours in now and all it still good, so enjoy the movie!
Devices using XBMC
i having the same problem now.....
Yep all seems good now after letting it get the update through and then telling it i'll update later..

I have had the prompt twice now but it doesn't seem to be intefering with XBMC anymore.. have to wait and see if NITOTV can come up with something that stops the crashing...
for anyone experiencing the issue as stated before by other users just wait for the ATV to prompt for the update (the warning will pop up in a matter of minutes if you don't touch anything: just wait!) and select not to update.

the only question is: how long will the ATV wait before prompting again for the update? a fix for this behaviour has to be found or XBMC will become unusable
Good news mate!!
Devices using XBMC
Yeah.. it seems nitotvs disabling feature is not doing its job properly.. I'm having the same problem, I had (as many of) disabled the iOS updates as well, and XBMC crashed (it actually screwed a xml db import) and gave me this dumb crap

I re-enabled the iOS updates announcements in nitoTV, and disabled it back

Hope this time wont crash it :/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Screen Flashing, then XBMC Quits1