[AppleTV2] Screen Flashing, then XBMC Quits
vtwin0001 Wrote:Yeah.. it seems nitotvs disabling feature is not doing its job properly.. I'm having the same problem, I had (as many of) disabled the iOS updates as well, and XBMC crashed (it actually screwed a xml db import) and gave me this dumb crap

I re-enabled the iOS updates announcements in nitoTV, and disabled it back

Hope this time wont crash it :/

Let us know if disabling again is OK... i'd like to stop happy clicky me updating accidentally Smile

There's some chat here about the same problem.. seems it was a problem with the previous update too : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91502&page=4

EDIT : Mine just crashed again Sad disabled the udpates to see if that helps..
EDIT : Nope.. crashed again.. getting irritating now!
EDIT : Have now manually changed the hosts file to get rid of the extra line NITO puts in.. i can't see it helping.. but we'll see.
editing the hosts file manually seems to work for me, the key is to remember to press RETURN after the new line and you've deleted the space
shepworth Wrote:editing the hosts file manually seems to work for me, the key is to remember to press RETURN after the new line and you've deleted the space

Yep same here.. although i turned it on in NITO, and then edited the file to just remove the space..

Really didn't expect this to work but glad it did Smile seems it would be easy for NITO to fix, suprised they havn't..

Should just be a matter of removing a line feed or carriage return output..
i don't even have nitotv installed, just blocking mesu.apple.com in /etc/hosts

commenting/uncommenting it doesn't help, seems like the atv2 gets the update notification from another server.

if i disable internet access for the atv2 altogether it doesn't crash...
weak Wrote:i don't even have nitotv installed, just blocking mesu.apple.com in /etc/hosts

commenting/uncommenting it doesn't help, seems like the atv2 gets the update notification from another server.

if i disable internet access for the atv2 altogether it doesn't crash...

This would make sense as it's Apple trying to push the update out as the ATV talks back to their servers..

How have you blocked internet access?
danmedhurst Wrote:This would make sense as it's Apple trying to push the update out as the ATV talks back to their servers..

How have you blocked internet access?

pulled the plug Smile

it's just connected to my nas now. but i guess blocking all apple servers on my router should do the trick too.
I edited the hosts file just as discussed on the other thread (back from 4.0 update), pinged mesu.apple.com and got back to localhost.. hopefully this will solve the problem Smile
I'm also getting flashing then crashing.

Can someone kindly tell us how to edit the hosts file please, ie
The location of the file via ssh.

Thanks in advance-)
Topazuk Wrote:I'm also getting flashing then crashing.

Can someone kindly tell us how to edit the hosts file please, ie
The location of the file via ssh.

Thanks in advance-)

It's located at /etc/hosts .
Let me guide you to it Smile

FTP to your ATV2

Enter /etc/

find the file hosts

edit it with a text editor (Notepad++ is very good, I'm not sure if Notepad might do the job correctly)

Find the line that says mesu.apple.com

Make sure that all lines are one after the other (ie, do not allow carriage returns between lines).
After the mesu.apple.com line, make a carriage return to leave a blank extra line at the end.

My hosts file looks like this:
Code:
##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting.  Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1    localhost
255.255.255.255    broadcasthost
::1             localhost
fe80::1%lo0    localhost
127.0.0.1    mesu.apple.com [PRESS ENTER HERE TO LEAVE A BLANK LINE AT THE END]
[THIS LINE IS BLANK, DELETE THIS TEXT]

After doing that, ssh into your atv and ping mesu.apple.com it should resolve to 127.0.0.1

Code:
ping mesu.apple.com
PING mesu.apple.com (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.441 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.321 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.202 ms
64 bytes from 127.0.0.1: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.207 ms
--- mesu.apple.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.202/0.293/0.441/0.098 ms

Hope this helps
Do i edit the hosts file or just delete it, thanks
piko72 Wrote:Do i edit the hosts file or just delete it, thanks

Edit it - disabling the updates from Apple depends on the Apple TV device not being able to contact the remote server. That's what the entry in the hosts file does by telling the Apple TV device to contact 127.0.0.1 (the local machine).
good for now it's working no apple update message :-)
Looks like re-routing to localhost is working, I restarted my atv2 twice without update messages Smile
vtwin0001,
Thanks for taking the time to show us your fix.....Laugh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Screen Flashing, then XBMC Quits1