[ATV2] Updated to new iOS - Big mistakey
Smile 
janus74 Wrote:I had the same problem yesterday. Upgraded my apple tv. The solution was:
1) download 4.2.1 ipsw-file
2) follow this guide: http://www.spiritjb.org/2010/11/downgrad...os-41.html
3) Jailbreak with greenpois0n.

Good luck.

Hey thanks for that, it worked perfectly on my ATV2.
After reading the other threads I thought there was no way of downgrading the firmware after I had upgraded my new ATV2 on iTunes from 4.0 to 4.3 since I didn't have SHSH blobs. Anyway I followed your instructions and now have 4.2.1 installed with Nitro TV and XBMC all working great.
BTW. I have since downloaded TinyUmbrella and saved the SSH blobs.
janus74 Wrote:I had the same problem yesterday. Upgraded my apple tv. The solution was:
1) download 4.2.1 ipsw-file
2) follow this guide: http://www.spiritjb.org/2010/11/downgrad...os-41.html
3) Jailbreak with greenpois0n.

Good luck.

Wow, I can't believe I got it back. Of course I lost all of my settings and repos etc. etc, but at least I was able to JB it again. NOTE: I messed something up and had no atv2 whatsoever, just a screen with a usb cord and the iTunes icon suggesting that I needed to fully restore my atv2. my concern was that it would restore the atv2 with firmware version 4.3. Below explains how I modified Janus47's post above since I was already in DFU mode by default.

I followed steps 1, 4 & 5 in this guide.

For step 1, you can replace the firmware download with this iOS 4.2.1 .ipsw file

no need to follow step 2 because if you reached the screen that I did (the "connect to iTunes" symbol which is a usb cord & the iTunes icon ((encircled music note))) you are already in DFU mode (that steady blinking LED).

Step 3 is irrelevant to the ATV2

Step 4 is the critical step. plug your atv2 in via micro USB. iTunes will open and recognize a device in recovery mode. 2 things to be sure of here. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes & that your atv2 is only plugged in via the micro USB cord, NO POWER CORD needed. Hold the shift button and click restore. navigate to the folder where you saved your iOS 4.2.1 .ipsw file and select it.

Step 5 is to exit recovery mode using the software Tiny Umbrella
(if it's your first time using tiny umbrella you may get an immediate error explaining that PID #### is preventing tiny umbrella from entering TTS mode or something like that. PID refers to process ID. Find the process and kill the program that runs that process. in my case it was Skype)

That's it, I successfully restored my atv2 to firmware version 4.2.1. From there I was able to JB using greenpois0n RC6.
gumba Wrote:If you used TinyUmbrella to grab your SHSH blobs *before* the 4.3 update came out from Apple then you can restore.

If you did not, then you can not... unless Apple is still signing 4.2.1.

Apparently it still is (though that won't be forever). I had mistakently updated my apple tv2 to 4.3, without ever even hearing about shsh blogs before, and I thought I was scr*wd. Turns out TinyUmbrella / Cydia managed to still get the 4.2.1 blob for my device (while it was running 4.3), which I assume to mean that TinyUmbrella->Cydia fetched the shsh blob from Apple.
I then downloaded the 4.2.1 ipw and sucessfully downgraded with iTunes. Followed by a happy untethered jailbreak.
pecospete Wrote:Apparently it still is (though that won't be forever). I had mistakently updated my apple tv2 to 4.3, without ever even hearing about shsh blogs before, and I thought I was scr*wd. Turns out TinyUmbrella / Cydia managed to still get the 4.2.1 blob for my device (while it was running 4.3), which I assume to mean that TinyUmbrella->Cydia fetched the shsh blob from Apple.
I then downloaded the 4.2.1 ipw and sucessfully downgraded with iTunes. Followed by a happy untethered jailbreak.

Should be possible to grab SHSH blobs via Tiny Umbrella for another week or two... assuming Apple will stop signing 4.2.1 as soon as 4.3.1 is released.
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/...weeks.html

They'll be fixing the exploit used at pwn2own on the iPad2. Hopefully they won't be fixing the upcoming 4.3 untethered jb exploit. Last report was it'll show on/before March 27 (previously ic0nic said he's wait until 4.3.1 landed before releasing, probably won't matter now since 4.3.1 will likely land less than a week after the jb, so hopefully too late to fix the exploit and 4.3.1 will still have an untethered jb).
http://technewsperk.com/featured/ios-4-3...next-week/
can this process to downgrade still work? apple isn't signing old firmware today as I get the message about ineligible. and I don't have shsh blobs
I did it yesterday at 23:30 and i got my shsh 4.2.1 with tinyumbrella. I was to sleepy to downgrade, but with the shsh it should work. Maybe i just got lucky that i tried just before you?
hope someone can help me here.

i backed up my blobs with tiny umbrellas as soon as i got my atv2 out of the box.

after a successful jailbreak i made the mistake of upgrading

now when i try to restore my atv2 to it's original firmware i get an "unknown error 1600"

anyone know a fix for this?
I think you need to update itunes to it's newest version... I got error 1602 and solution is to update itunes or re-install it
jhonny30 Wrote:I think you need to update itunes to it's newest version... I got error 1602 and solution is to update itunes or re-install it

or check /etc/hosts for a tiny tinyumbrella to cydia's servers.
problems started with what i think was a bad jailbreak. couldn't install xbmc, couldn't use winscp, everything would time out or i'd get this error: "E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem." thing is i couldn't run the command because i couldn't connect to the damn thing. i figured since i had my blobs backed up that could easily do a restore and start over.... two days later Smile
i possibly got every known error while trying to restore my new atv2 to it's original firmware... 1600, 1604, 3194, firmware not compatible, you name it.

took me the better part of a day to figure how to get right. i had my blobs backed up with tiny umbrellas, so naturally i was trying to restore with t.u.
i tried updating itunes, uninstalling and reinstalling itunes, itunes on different computer, vista, windows 7, nothing worked. until i found this video

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqh8KY2Cw1s

followed his instructions to the letter and i was able to get my atv2 to it's original firmware. he does it with an iphone but same applies to atv. only difference is to put atv2 into dfu mode you press menu + down until rapid flashing light and immediately press menu + play/pause until rapid flashing light.
i never got the 1015 error at the end of my restore.

edit:
- i should add that the atv2 is never connected to a power source during this restore process. restore is done with a usb cable only.
- after successful restore you can j.b. with greenpois0n.
- putting the unit in dfu mode following greenpois0n instructions can be a pain in the butt. i followed these instructions
Code:
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/how-to-jailbreak-apple-tv-with-greenpois0n-rc6-on-421/

edit:edit: i'm doing this atv2 setup for a family member. it should be noted that i hate apple. i hate itunes and apple for everything it stands for. i hate it with every french canadian bone in my body Smile :p

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV2] Updated to new iOS - Big mistakey0