• 5(current)
some E350/HD 6310 results - AMD Zacate on MSI E350IA-E45
babca Wrote:magnetik: GPU 76°C, CPU 45°C after 60mins of 8Mbit 1080p video playback, w/o GPU acceleration, not modded heatsink and fan turned off. I'm used to much higher temps with my old Atom 330+ION nettop with laptop-style active cooling. Smile

Thanks for that - as others are saying (and you have suggested) - I reckon drop a low RPM fan on top of the heatsink to keep things safe - go for something in the 80-120mm range - and very low RPM will still push better air than that 40mm buzzer that comes with the MSI board.

Still I love this MSI board, very cheap, feature packed - and a nice meaty heatsink which will go well with a slow fan IMHO.

babca Wrote:BTW I wonder what these temps mean - I thought CPU and GPU are on the same chip, so why are the temperatures so different? Big Grin

It's the same with Atom/ION systems - they are two different chipsets (CPU vs. GPU) they just get paired together - like a suit with a matching tie Smile

Different to the new Sandybridge i5/i7 processors with the CPU/GPU on the same die/chip.

EDIT: have been proven wrong, Zacate is an 'all in' single die for CPU/GPU....
Wicky,

Have you tried putting your E350IA-E45 to sleep with that SSD drive? There is a known issue with some SandForce drives (like the F60 that I just picked up) where the system will BSOD after resuming from S3 sleep -- but only if the system has been asleep for 30 minutes or more.

Here's the workaround thread on the Corsair forum. OCZ owners and others based on the same SandForce storage are (or were) having the same problem.

I tried two clean windows installs but encountered the 0x000000F4 BSOD each time. I transferred everything to a normal 3.5" drive and the crashes disappeared entirely. I'd prefer to stick with a SSD, but I'll be steering clear of SandForce-based drives unless it turns out that a newer design has solved the problem.
snarfvsmaximvs, I havent actually had the chance to test that. Due to the low power nature of vacate and the heavy usage my HTPC sees (always someone around to use it) sleep mode didn't seem to necessary. But I will gladly enable it for the sake of testing.

I did initially test the system in sleep mode for a few minutes, simply to gather power consumption data, and to determine how quickly it resumes.

My assumption is this could have or will be resolved with a firmware update, but if it's deeply rooted in the sandforce controller, perhaps it's one that should be avoided in favor of the cheaper JMF618, or alternatives from intel, Marvell, or toshiba?

Great point to raise though, many of us really tend to encourage the use of sandforce tech due to it's high performance, low write amplification, and general affordability on the lower capacity end, like the corsair f40.
i dont understand why i get 60° with fan on ( 32,5% ) in the bios ...
Oh man, all that reading about the E350 makes me want to give the ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe, A50M (PC3-8500U DDR3) a shot >< I just love that it's a passive board out of the box and that it got these HUUUGE cooling pipes
Choque Wrote:Oh man, all that reading about the E350 makes me want to give the ASUS E35M1-I Deluxe, A50M (PC3-8500U DDR3) a shot

Yeah, but it didn't quite work with their ION/Atom edition - looks can (could) be deceiving. I dare say you will still need even just a teeny bit of airflow.
magnetik Wrote:It's the same with Atom/ION systems - they are two different chipsets (CPU vs. GPU) they just get paired together - like a suit with a matching tie Smile

Different to the new Sandybridge i5/i7 processors with the CPU/GPU on the same die/chip.
Wrong, Zacate has CPU and GPU in the same die, that's what Fusion is.

Here you have a die shot of bobcat.

Yes, this little sucker has a CPU and GPU on the same die, and it's almost all GPU Rofl
The other chip on the board is probably the southbridge
KiSUAN Wrote:Wrong, Zacate has CPU and GPU in the same die, that's what Fusion is.

Cheers - stand corrected.... yep, it's probably southbridge looking at those shots of the MSI mobo with it's heatsink off...
babca Wrote:GPU 76°C, CPU 45°C
45°C is more likely a chipset temp, and 76°C an APU temp. My bad, I posted the temps here quickly and I didn't looked at the text labels in HW monitor...

Choque: I'm waiting for Asus more than 3 months..it's still not available here in Europe. Take Asus and post here your results :-D

Btw the heasing isn't as huge as it seems! Today arrived my ASUS Asus AT5IONT-I (I forgot to cancel the order Big GrinBig Grin) which has the same one as E35M1-I.
magnetik Wrote:Cheers - stand corrected.... yep, it's probably southbridge looking at those shots of the MSI mobo with it's heatsink off...
Yes, it's the chipset codename "Hudson".

Here you have a diagram with the functions of each chip.

Here you have a more accurate shot of the die and overlay of the segments.

As you can see, it isn't just CPU and GPU, there some others things.

babca Wrote:45°C is more likely a chipset temp, and 76°C an APU temp. My bad, I posted the temps here quickly and I didn't looked at the text labels in HW monitor...

Most likely, what name/numbers does HwMonitor displays (before) in the same line of that temps?

Anyway, I suspect HwMonitor doesn't has full support for Zacate as the last version is from November 29, 2010, anyway some how it retrieves a reading, this doesn't mean this reading is accurate or correct.
Hello,
i worked on a pasive home-server based on the ASRock E350 mainboard.
We take out the original heat sink and replaced with the Zalman northbridge cooler.
The temperature reading during stress test with Everest over more than 2h are:
59Cº CPU, 50Cº Mainboard, and 75Cº GPU.
While playing a Youtube 1080 secvence the temperature are:
55Cº CPU, 46Cº Mainboard and 70Cº GPU
Primary we wanted the Enzotech northbridge cooler, but for now the Zalman give us a decent temperature in a controled room temperature of 22Cº.
Arctic Silver Nº4 thermal compond we used.
The A50M sandy bridge stay untouched.

All the best,
Gabriel B.B.
GabrielBB Wrote:Hello,
i worked on a pasive home-server based on the ASRock E350 mainboard.
We take out the original heat sink and replaced with the Zalman northbridge cooler.

That sir, is pretty impressive! Well done!
well, any informations on VA Deinterlacing with XBMC?

My MSI E-350 is orderd as well, ive already got an Nvidia ITX, Core i3 ITX and tomorrow ill have an zacate ITX System on my table...

Normally i use ubuntu minimal 10.10 with selfbuild xbmc-pvr and vdr 1.7.17 so far. What i need is a stable platform with 1080p support.

VAAPI works fine with Intel so far and the setting is very fast and efficient. i3 in intel H67 ITX uses only 14-15W idle with picopsu.
CPU under 1080p load less than 10%, and a big advantage is, that i can disable VAAPI and its works too... due to the massive CPU power.

The MSI zacate should do the same but its cheaper and i hope for VA deinteracung support which is still under developlent for intel GMA. But i need full accerlerating support für HD streams.

So any informations how to get deinterlacing work with zacate and xbmc?

Thx!
I did more testing yesterday, power consumption, temperatures and boot times!
http://www.plutanium.cz/babca/en/dokumen...e350ia-e45

@all who has zacate already: I can't get sleep mode to work in windows. Does it work on your builds?
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
some E350/HD 6310 results - AMD Zacate on MSI E350IA-E452