Did I BRICK my ATV2?
My ATV2 has a steady flashing LED and on screen it shows the "connect to itunes" symbol which is a USB cord and a music note.

This happened after loading the metadata file from the icefilms addon. I was probably impatient and I rebooted (held the play and menu buttons together for 6 seconds) my ATV2 while it still said "working". The Apple appeared onscreen for an eternity then the "connect to itunes" screen came up.

I did not save my SHSH blobs.

I want to know if I can still save the unit somehow. Can I SSH into it and delete something etc. Any ideas?
If you did not save your shsh blobs, then the only thing you can do is to restore 4.3. You can try 4.2.1 aswell, but i guess Apple stopped signing it the day after the 4.3 release.
janus74 Wrote:I had the same problem yesterday. Upgraded my apple tv. The solution was:
1) download 4.2.1 ipsw-file
2) follow this guide: http://www.spiritjb.org/2010/11/downgrad...os-41.html
3) Jailbreak with greenpois0n.

Good luck.

It looks like people have had success doing this. I Found this in another thread and might give it a go, I just don't like the guide since it is for an iPhone. having never gone through this process before, it is a little unnerving. I'll have to study it for awhile unless someone knows of another guide. This is a guide I can remember that had the 4.2.1 ipsw file as part of the steps. It was a guide before there was a greenpsi0n RC6 untethered JB for Windows.

If this part of the process could be refined and spelled out, I think it will help a lot of people as new IOS versions come about.
You might try the following:

1. Unplug

2. Attach to your computer via Micro-USB cord

3. Launch Tiny Umbrella and hit the "Fix Recovery" button in in an effort to kick you out of recovery.

Good luck, and let us know how this goes.
Thanks Eric, but that didn't seem to work. I could be reading it wrong since this is my first crack at tiny umbrella. (also, iTunes keeps restarting after clicking "exit recovery" button, not sure if that is or is not supposed to happen). Here's the log from tiny umbrella:

03/20/2011 13:35:26.298 Sending exit recovery request to 1114XXX
03/20/2011 13:35:26.330 Recovery Device disconnected: null
03/20/2011 13:35:32.939 Recovery Device connected:

this is when iTunes starts and recognizes a device in recovery mode.

[edit] I stopped iTunes Helper to see if that had an effect and it did not change the situation).
Try to place the Apple TV in DFU mode before running Tiny Umbrella (this is different than recovery mode - you can find directions below).

http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/30/enter-dfu...pple-tv-2/
Wow, I can't believe I got it back. Of course I lost all of my settings and repos etc. etc, but at least I was able to JB it again.

I followed steps 1, 4 & 5 in this guide.

For step 1, you can replace the firmware download with this iOS 4.2.1 .ipsw file

no need to follow step 2 because if you reached the screen that I did (the "connect to iTunes" symbol which is a usb cord & the iTunes icon ((encircled music note))) you are already in DFU mode (that steady blinking LED).

Step 3 is irrelevant to the ATV2

Step 4 is the critical step. plug your atv2 in via micro USB. iTunes will open and recognize a device in recovery mode. 2 things to be sure of here. Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes & that your atv2 is only plugged in via the micro USB cord, NO POWER CORD needed. Hold the shift button and click restore. navigate to the folder where you saved your iOS 4.2.1 .ipsw file and select it.

Step 5 is to exit recovery mode using the software Tiny Umbrella
(if it's your first time using tiny umbrella you may get an immediate error explaining that PID #### is preventing tiny umbrella from entering TTS mode or something like that. PID refers to process ID. Find the process and kill the program that runs that process. in my case it was Skype)

That's it, I successfully restored my atv2 to firmware version 4.2.1. From there I was able to JB using greenpois0n RC6.

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
Maetrik Wrote:If you did not save your shsh blobs, then the only thing you can do is to restore 4.3. You can try 4.2.1 aswell, but i guess Apple stopped signing it the day after the 4.3 release.

They're signing them again, for now at least. Probably to give people an alternative to 4.3 since it has some issues. So everyone grab your 4.2.1 SHSH blobs while you still can. Once they've stopped signing iTunes will complain if you try to install any unsigned ipsw files.

Looks like they'll be signing them for a couple weeks, i.e. until 4.3.1 is released.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/03/21/ios-...two-weeks/
Quit (#@* the definition of Brick.

"Bricking" something means that it is a brick. Useless as a brick. Unrecoverable without either replacing a ROM chip or other physical interaction.

If it boots and is flashing "Plug me into iTunes" then it's not a brick.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Quit (#@* the definition of Brick.

"Bricking" something means that it is a brick. Useless as a brick. Unrecoverable without either replacing a ROM chip or other physical interaction.

If it boots and is flashing "Plug me into iTunes" then it's not a brick.

Agreed, and nothing's impossible, but I've yet to see someone "brick" their atv2.

Obviously hardware mods are a different story... I'm sure the devs here have destroyed a couple after ripping them open and messing around.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Did I BRICK my ATV2?0