XBMC Install on New ATV2 / iOS 4.3 Auto-Upgrade
snpyjc Wrote:I just went through this, I got my first ATV2 delivered yesterday and had the same concerns, but all worked without too much trouble. First thing I did was backup the shsh with tiny umbrella, I had some issues because it didn't see my atv and I had to do it manually, but after I got those saved I was relieved. After that I ran greenpoisOn, actually had to run it twice because it didn't take the first time, then installed Cydia from gp, then xbmc from within Cydia. I was never prompted to update at all. I hope yours goes well and hope my experience can put you at ease.

Just make sure to install updatebegone from NitoTV just in case it does come on Smile

Regards,
R0MSTER Wrote:Just make sure to install updatebegone from NitoTV just in case it does come on Smile

Regards,

Thanks for that, I still have more setting up to do, I just wanted to save the shsh ASAP and figured I might as well run greenpoisOn at same time. My ATV was delivered early yesterday, but I had no power all day long so it was the middle of the night when I was doing it, so I only did the basics.
Editing my own post to avoid spreading bad info. Thanks for correcting me.
sandmanCL: whatHuh

you don't have to flash anything to the apppltv2 to save the shsh blobs.

also once tiny umbrelle saves your device then you can get new version blobs without using the device at all.
Hmm, i had apple updates off, but I got options if I wanted to update. I pushed no of course and then nothing more. I then started to mix around with settings for add on, so xbmc crashed and the screen got black! After that no more life in atv. I pulled out the powercord and the white apple approached. Well nothing more than that, I tried a couple of times, nothing more than an apple.

I then checked tinyumbrella, my atv had been updated! Funny thing is I had saved shsh from both iPad and iPhone, but forgot for Atv that was most important. Im going to kill myself now.

No janus your thread didnt helped, itunes gives me error msg, have tried twice now. Itunes writes over the ip adress with apples own. The ip adress I have typed in gets a # in front so hosts fil wont recognize the line and takes apples ip adress instead.
do the tethered jailbreak with seas0npass then ... and don't kill yourself Wink
I would but I dont have a mac...
Try connecting the ATV2 with USB cable to your computer and running Tiny Umbrella. Some people said they were still able to save the SHSH blob. If successful, you can restore 4.2.1. Give that a try if you haven't done so already.
Oh my god! It worked! Janus I love you! You cant have the powercord connected while doing the steps with itunes. Thats why it didnt worked!!!!!!!!!!!
Nope, even though greenpoison said it was jailbreakad. Checking in the atv settings says clearly 4.2 . Great! I am jumping now!
I was silly enough to update to 4.3 on my jailbroken ATV2 this weekend.

BUT there is hope! I just managed to jailbreake it again!
After several hours searching for a solution I found something that I did try like 40 times - and didn't work. Today I tried it again - just for the "fun" of it - and it worked!!

Here is the solution that worked for me:
1. you have to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.2.1.
- "you must have your shsh-blobs" you say...NO I DIDN'T!
- download "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw"

2. edit your hosts-file - add this: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

3. connect the ATV to your computer - don't use the power cord.

3. set your ATV in DFU mode(down+menu - 6 sec then menu + play for 6 sec - release)
4. start iTunes - shift-click on restore

5. select the downloaded ipsw and click restore.

Once downgraded you can go ahead jailbreaking using greenpois0n :-)

The reason why i write no power cord is that this is the only difference between
my 40 fails(errormsg in iTunes) and the success...so I really don't know hehe

Good luck!
I can totally confirm removing the power cable did allow me to restore holy cow
svela Wrote:I was silly enough to update to 4.3 on my jailbroken ATV2 this weekend.

BUT there is hope! I just managed to jailbreake it again!
After several hours searching for a solution I found something that I did try like 40 times - and didn't work. Today I tried it again - just for the "fun" of it - and it worked!!

Here is the solution that worked for me:
1. you have to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.2.1.
- "you must have your shsh-blobs" you say...NO I DIDN'T!
- download "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw"

2. edit your hosts-file - add this: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

3. connect the ATV to your computer - don't use the power cord.

3. set your ATV in DFU mode(down+menu - 6 sec then menu + play for 6 sec - release)
4. start iTunes - shift-click on restore

5. select the downloaded ipsw and click restore.

Once downgraded you can go ahead jailbreaking using greenpois0n :-)

The reason why i write no power cord is that this is the only difference between
my 40 fails(errormsg in iTunes) and the success...so I really don't know hehe

Good luck!

Great Job.
I was able to after many attempts with every step but removing the power cord (removing the power cord did the trick) roll back. save my shsh with tiny on four atv2's hurray gj

Oh and if your attempting to roll back more than one atv2 you need to re-save the host file every time you run restore
Move along, nothing to see here
nmat Wrote:Anticipating the question: "Why doesn't this work anymore?"

Please read this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post751625

This method will fail as soon as Apple stops signing so be quick.

Sure about that? 74.208.105.171 points to Cydia. If you have jailbroken your ATV earlier you should be fine..shouldn't you?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Install on New ATV2 / iOS 4.3 Auto-Upgrade0