Help downgrade to Apple TV iOs 4.2.1
I think it was Friday that I did this. Well, if they prohibited it, then I can't help and apologize for cluttering up this thread.

I guess I just got lucky.
Oh, I just remembered, that you have to add something to your hosts file in windows to misdirect iTunes to a different server (other than Apple's) I can't for the life of me remember how to do that part, but I'll go back through my old threads and see if I can find it again.

*EDIT*
http://www.spiritjb.org/2010/11/downgrad...os-41.html

There you go Smile
Well that is exactly what i did! I used this exact tutorial to do it, but got the message above:-( anybody else tried it?
Without SHSH blobs it is impossible to install 4.2.1. It will never happen.

Apple still signed the blobs for older versions during a few days after 4.3 was released. That's why this method worked. At the current time, Apple is no longer signing 4.2.1.
To be fair, I am far from an expert, nmat, so there could be (and probably is) something important that I'm missing here.

That said, this guy http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96551 was successful with this method after everybody told him apple had stopped signing these files, as was I.

Granted, that was on the 11th (Friday), but it was indeed the day after Apple stopped signing them. I don't know if they can be re-used, but I still have that IPSW file if that would be helpful to anyone.
I don't know the exact moment at which Apple stopped signing the firmware.

To install an ipsw, in this case 4.2.1, your Apple TV needs a signature number which is specific for your device and can only be provided by Apple. The installation can't be done if your Apple TV can't get this number. So you have two options:
- If Apple is still signing the version you are trying to install you just need to get the ipsw. The installation will go on without problems: Apple TV contacts Apple's servers, firmware signed, installation successful.
- If Apple is no longer signing, but you saved the blobs with tinyumbrella you can "fake" the behaviour of Apple's servers. You provide the ipsw, trick Apple TV into contacting Cydia's servers, Cydia shows the blobs, installation successful.

That being said, download tinyumbrella and save the blobs for 4.3 Wink
bircoe Wrote:jd2157... don't guess, the dev's will have it done when they have it done... as davilla keeps saying he is concentrating on merging iOS port into the main branch.

bircoe, don't get up on a soap box, no one likes it.

The developers/moderators will speak up if they need to. If you are either, your profile should be updated.
I am neither, however it is frustrating to see the amount of garbage that has entered this forum since the ATV2 build came out... this forum is here to help people with XBMC issues and to gain a better understanding of XBMC, downgrading devices should be taken to a forum that caters to jailbreaking and hacking iOS devices as it is not an XBMC support issue.

The breadcrumb in this page says it all...
XBMC Community Forum > Help and Support > XBMC General Help and Support > XBMC for iOS Specific Support

I don't see where it says "Jailbreaking and downgrading support"
stigma Wrote:To be fair, I am far from an expert, nmat, so there could be (and probably is) something important that I'm missing here.

That said, this guy http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96551 was successful with this method after everybody told him apple had stopped signing these files, as was I.

Granted, that was on the 11th (Friday), but it was indeed the day after Apple stopped signing them. I don't know if they can be re-used, but I still have that IPSW file if that would be helpful to anyone.

Looks like Apple stopped signing iOS 4.2.1 late Friday night. Others were successfully saving their SHSH blobs on Friday but when I tried (on my brother's atv2) Saturday afternoon Tiny Umbrella wasn't able to save any other than those for 4.3.

The process you mentioned above is how to restore but it'll fail if Apple has stopped signing the iOS version you're trying to use. The only way around that is to use Tiny Umbrella's TSS server with your saved SHSH blobs.
bircoe Wrote:I am neither, however it is frustrating to see the amount of garbage that has entered this forum since the ATV2 build came out... this forum is here to help people with XBMC issues and to gain a better understanding of XBMC, downgrading devices should be taken to a forum that caters to jailbreaking and hacking iOS devices as it is not an XBMC support issue.

The breadcrumb in this page says it all...
XBMC Community Forum > Help and Support > XBMC General Help and Support > XBMC for iOS Specific Support

I don't see where it says "Jailbreaking and downgrading support"

In principal, I agree with what you are saying re: the off topic discussion, not so much about telling people not to guess about upcoming events.

The point is there should be moderators cleaning up threads by locking them and/or moving them rather than regular members self-deputizing...
This has gotten off topic and we know what the means.
Apparently Apple is again signing 4.2.1. Don't know for how long, so those of you who wish to downgrade should download tiny umbrella immediately and save the SHSH blobs. Downgrading will be possible afterwards.
nmat Wrote:Apparently Apple is again signing 4.2.1. Don't know for how long, so those of you who wish to downgrade should download tiny umbrella immediately and save the SHSH blobs. Downgrading will be possible afterwards.

Nmat is this possible when i already on IOS 4.3 ?...
nmat: Thak you verry much. I have my ATV2 back on version 4.2.1 Smile. I've also saved the .shsh blobs with TinyUmbrella. So this wil not happen anymore.

Thanks allot guys.
jmunnik Wrote:nmat: Thak you verry much. I have my ATV2 back on version 4.2.1 Smile. I've also saved the .shsh blobs with TinyUmbrella. So this wil not happen anymore.

Thanks allot guys.

Hopefully the SHSH blobs are still available today. I'm going to try and save them for my brother who's atv2 has been stuck on 4.3 since the 4.2.1 release wasn't being signed the day I jailbroke his.

The atv2 on 4.3 isn't much good to folks not interested in a little tinkering. Between tethering and no 720p it kind of sucks... but not totally useless.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help downgrade to Apple TV iOs 4.2.10