YaMBro - Yet another Media Browser (for Android)
freezy Wrote:How about joining efforts and incorporating the offline mode into the official Android app? I've already thought about doing this and since you guys seem to be keen on this feature, it would be a great addition to the existing app. Shouldn't be too difficult either, need to abstract the lib access and add caching where possible.

sounds interesting at first sight, but I think these are two total different use cases. why should I rely on the (possibly outdated) offline database, when I've already have an current online connection to the XBMC?

What I can think of, is to cache all the received online-content on the phone for offline use. but, since we only can READ the copied MyVideo34.db on the phone at the moment, we can't update the database with fresh received online-content...

what we could try in first place is that the Online-app could use YaMBro as content provider to receive offline data.

YaMBro is also intended to use more than only XBMC databases.

What do you think of these suggestions?
Well, the use cases aren't really different from a user's point of view: The user wants to browse the DB wherever he is, if possible. Now, if you only copy the raw .db and rely on that solely, you probably will have problems keeping it up to date (however even as an offline-only browser, you'll have to address this issue eventually).

Technically I haven't played around yet with Android's content providers, but if that's a way to abstract the whole thing and potentially even open it to other apps, I'm all in.

It just seems silly for a user to have to download two apps for the same thing and since you're here and you seem to be eager to improve your app, merging the two projects seems like a good idea.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
Can someone please help me out with installing this application? I can't find any documentation on how to do this.
kschreiber7 Wrote:Can someone please help me out with installing this application? I can't find any documentation on how to do this.

sorry, I know, we have to update the documentation (even create one...). Installing the app is possiblein 2 ways:
a) browse with your phone to http://projects.luck539.de/yambro/download.html there you can download the apk-file and your phone should allow to install it
b) download the apk-file with your computer, transfer it to your phone with your sync-software that was delievered with the phone and use for example "appInstaller" to install the apk-file.

best regards, yambro
freezy Wrote:Well, the use cases aren't really different from a user's point of view: The user wants to browse the DB wherever he is, if possible. Now, if you only copy the raw .db and rely on that solely, you probably will have problems keeping it up to date (however even as an offline-only browser, you'll have to address this issue eventually).

Technically I haven't played around yet with Android's content providers, but if that's a way to abstract the whole thing and potentially even open it to other apps, I'm all in.

It just seems silly for a user to have to download two apps for the same thing and since you're here and you seem to be eager to improve your app, merging the two projects seems like a good idea.

that's right, the main drawback at the moment is the update-process for the database: there is none. you have to copy the db-file every time, you want to refresh your db. That's because, currently we're not able to write to the database file and won't be, because for this we'll have to create an own db from scratch to be able to update (maybe in future releases). But the big advantage with this proceeding is, we're not depending on one specific database schema (for example XBMC) but can use many different.

as a quick win, we should focus on the content provider-option. there you can access the movies abstracted from the yambro-database (that means XBMC or EmberMerdiaManager schemas at the moment) with only a few lines of code, for exmaple like this:

Code:
// generic Uri for all movies
Uri movieBaseUri = Uri.parse("content://de.luck539.yambro.model.MoviesProvider/movies");
// special Uri for unique movie with id
Uri myMovieUri = Uri.withAppendedPath(movieBaseUri, "23");
// what columns do I need?
String[] projection = new String[] { "m_title", "m_imdb", "m_studio", "m_tagline" };

//  get a Cursor with filters and sort order:
//  Cursor cursor = managedQuery(movieBaseUri, projection,"m_title LIKE '%007%'", null, "m_title");
//
// or get the Cursor for the specific movie:
Cursor cursor = managedQuery(myMovieUri, projection,null, null, null);

The main interesting things are how the different online/DB-accesses will be distinguished. For example always try to get online content and use the offline db as fallback, if the online-call fails? Or actively setting online/offline mode in settings?

When we're also able to update the offline db, more questions arise:
how/when to update the offline-db?
option 1)
every request we receive from xbmc will be updated in the offline-db? that would generate unnecessary wait-times.
option 2)
trigger a full update from settings menu?
option 3)
trigger delta updates since last refresh from settings (how to detmerine the last access/update?)

best regards, yambro
I can't find the db file on my phone! tried every folder, but when I plug my phone into my laptop, the folder names dont match, root, dev etc. Where do I drop my db file or how do I find it? HuhHuh
Got to say this is not ready for release as there is so little explanation on what to do to get it going? What is the "Use online content" setting? Do i need to copy my MyVideos34.bd file to my phone? If so, once i have moved across to the phone/SD card, how do i get to it from the LINUX looking folder structure YamBro gives when looking for the db file? I've tried for 15mins+ trying to look for places that look to match the folders on the phone when viewed on the laptop, still can't find it.

This software might be great, but I can't find out! I am fine setting up XBMC Live, I've made, modified and run a php web forum, and am generally quite good at picking things up but getting this thing to work is just not happening.

Frustrating. Please produce some useful documentation.
t2ffn Wrote:Got to say this is not ready for release as there is so little explanation on what to do to get it going? What is the "Use online content" setting? Do i need to copy my MyVideos34.bd file to my phone? If so, once i have moved across to the phone/SD card, how do i get to it from the LINUX looking folder structure YamBro gives when looking for the db file? I've tried for 15mins+ trying to look for places that look to match the folders on the phone when viewed on the laptop, still can't find it.

This software might be great, but I can't find out! I am fine setting up XBMC Live, I've made, modified and run a php web forum, and am generally quite good at picking things up but getting this thing to work is just not happening.

Frustrating. Please produce some useful documentation.

sorry for your inconvinience setting up YaMBro. The next release will have more user-friendly setup-options (e.g. selecting db via clicking through folder-structure).
For now, you have to put the location of your MyVideos34.db file in unix notation, e.g. /mnt/sdcard/MyVideo34.db (assuming you have copied it to your external SD-card, if available)

with "use online content" you can select, whether YaMBro loads stuff (e.g. covers, actor-thumbs...) from the internet (setting will be used in next release, too)

please take in mind, YaMBro is not "released" yet. It's more like a proof of concept, collecting experience on different devices, from users etc.

With your valuable feedback, we can improve it and maybe "release" it, when it has a stable status.
we've added a pre-0.3-version to download

fixes / improvements:
  • improved, more user-friendly preferences (with sanity checks)
  • fixed useOnline setting
  • fixed some crashes (screen-rotation in actor details, movie details with no cover
  • added content provider to access databases from other apps
  • added Android 2.1 support
  • added tv show covers in TV Show details (long-click on TV show)
Thanks for the tip, I finally got it working!! Big Grin

As for pre-0.3, is this still named 0.2? Download page looks same as yesterday.

Thanks
Link is fine now. Thanks
we've released a new version 0.3.
check it at:

Download

Update: new Version 0.3 now available
  • improved, more user-friendly preferences (with sanity checks)
  • fixed useOnline setting
  • fixed crashes (e.g. screen-rotation in actor details, movie details with no cover)
  • added Android 2.1 support
  • added this info screen
  • added update notifications
  • added content provider to access databases from other apps
  • added TV Show covers in TV Show details (long-click on TV show)
  • added contact picker in userlists
  • added search in plots
Version 0.4 is available now:
  • fixed cover downloads on slow connections
  • fixed remember position in actors / directors list
  • fixed bug in movie search (title)
  • fixed some counting bugs
  • fixed runtime calculator
  • fixed source filter
  • added Google Quick Search
  • added nicer loading pics
  • added play TV Episodes in XBMC
Nice little app! I like being able to see what I have in my collection and what I need to get without being on my LAN w/ XBMC running.

My one qualm would be the small font. Any way to increase the size in future releases? It makes it a pain to select things when you keep accidentally hitting the object above or below your target.
ralob Wrote:Nice little app! I like being able to see what I have in my collection and what I need to get without being on my LAN w/ XBMC running.

My one qualm would be the small font. Any way to increase the size in future releases? It makes it a pain to select things when you keep accidentally hitting the object above or below your target.

request noted & implemented in next version.

thanks for your input.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
YaMBro - Yet another Media Browser (for Android)0