Impossible to jailbreak for now?
So after doing some searching, it looks like any new ATV2 owner, or people who haven't jailbroken before cannot jailbreak for now.

Since 4.2.1 is no longer being signed, unless you are already jailbroken, or have the shsh blobs, you can't reinstall 4.2.1 to start a fresh jailbreak.

This means no new jailbreaks basically until 4.3 gets jailbroken (untethered), and XBMC gets updated for 4.3.

Searching, there really isn't any concrete data other than a rumor that 4.3 won't be jailbroken, and they are waiting on 4.3.1.

There also really isn't any ETA on 4.3 XBMC compatibility.

Anyone have any better information than this?
XBMC Does run on 4.3. Hardware Decode for x264 does not function at this time. So in response yes you can Jailbreak a brand new ATV2 and Run XBMC on the device. It's just not 100% functional. I am running four atv2's on 4.3 right now and really have nothing to complain about. I know the devs will fix this issue when they have time.
also you can jailbreak using Seas0npass on a mac for os 4.3. its a tethered jailbreak but atleast it would be jailbroken.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Just curious.

If you have an un-jailbroken 4.2.1 couldnt you just save the blobs first, then jailbreak with greenpoison 6.1, and then use the commands in the sticky to have it not check for updates?
apple is not signing the blobs anymore so from what I understand you cannot save them.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
This forum is flooded with jailbreak questions. I don't know if I'm supposed to answer or just ignore the off-topic... Anyway, jailbreak and blobs have nothing to do with each other.

If you have 4.2.1: don't upgrade, jailbreak with greenp0ison, disable updates with updatebegone and install xbmc
If you have 4.3: jailbreak with Seas0nPass (just came out for Windows), install xbmc and enjoy SD content while you wait for: untethered jailbreak (it is supposed to come before weekend, but we never know) and hardware decode support from xbmc.

For either options: save the blobs for 4.3 with tinyumbrella - I will not explain again what these are. Find the off-topic forum and search through the posts there.
I was silly enough to update to 4.3 on my jailbroken ATV2 this weekend.

BUT there is hope! I just managed to jailbreake it again!
After several hours searching for a solution I found something that I did try like 40 times - and didn't work. Today I tried it again - just for the "fun" of it - and it worked!!

Here is the solution that worked for me:
1. you have to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.2.1.
- "you must have your shsh-blobs" you say...no I didn't!
- download "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw"

2. edit your hosts-file - add this: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

3. connect the ATV to your computer - DON'T use the power cord.

3. set your ATV in DFU mode(down+menu - 6 sec then menu + play for 6 sec - release)
4. start iTunes - shift-click on restore

5. select the dowloaded ipsw and click restore.

Once downgraded you can go ahead jailbreaking using greenpois0n :-)

The reason why i write no power cord is that this is the only difference between
my 40 fails(errormsg in iTunes) and the success...
Good luck!
Move along, nothing to see =P
Holy cow, just confirmed this, did it like svela said above. 4.2.1 restored, and didn't have to use tinyumbrella. Saved blobs anyway
ok, my apple tv has 4.3 jb with seas0npass now. I had my previous copy of 4.2.1 ipsw. but when I attempted to restore, an error popped up and says "the apple TV could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build". What did I do wrong?
edwingoh Wrote:ok, my apple tv has 4.3 jb with seas0npass now. I had my previous copy of 4.2.1 ipsw. but when I attempted to restore, an error popped up and says "the apple TV could not be restored. This device isn't eligible for the requested build". What did I do wrong?

Edit your host file(while itunes is running. after you have the device in dfu mode unplug the power cable. it worked for me.
Sindawi Wrote:Edit your host file(while itunes is running. after you have the device in dfu mode unplug the power cable. it worked for me.

Hi Sindawi,
My hosts file is already pointing to the ip of gs.apple.com

My steps were:
1. Power up AppleTV using power cable.
2. Apply MENU+DOWN for 6 seconds followed by MENU+PLAY for another 6. (How will I know that its into DFU mode?
3. Plug in micro USB cable. Pull out power cable.
4. iTunes starts up.
5. Option + click on RESTORE
6. Select 4.2.1 ipsw (I used my previously kept version, should I download it from somewhere else?)
7. Same error appears.
svela Wrote:I was silly enough to update to 4.3 on my jailbroken ATV2 this weekend.

BUT there is hope! I just managed to jailbreake it again!
After several hours searching for a solution I found something that I did try like 40 times - and didn't work. Today I tried it again - just for the "fun" of it - and it worked!!

Here is the solution that worked for me:
1. you have to downgrade from 4.3 to 4.2.1.
- "you must have your shsh-blobs" you say...no I didn't!
- download "AppleTV2,1_4.2.1_8C154_Restore.ipsw"

2. edit your hosts-file - add this: 74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com

3. connect the ATV to your computer - DON'T use the power cord.

3. set your ATV in DFU mode(down+menu - 6 sec then menu + play for 6 sec - release)
4. start iTunes - shift-click on restore

5. select the dowloaded ipsw and click restore.

Once downgraded you can go ahead jailbreaking using greenpois0n :-)

The reason why i write no power cord is that this is the only difference between
my 40 fails(errormsg in iTunes) and the success...
Good luck!

This worked for me today too. Downgraded 4.3 and now running XBMC on 4.2.1 and no shsh-blobs either.
brutisb Wrote:This worked for me today too. Downgraded 4.3 and now running XBMC on 4.2.1 and no shsh-blobs either.

Arrrgh, I am the only one with no luck?
The simple reason this works for some is that cydia has stored your SHSH for you from a previous jailbreak.
The host entry points to the cydia server.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Impossible to jailbreak for now?0