Help me design a HP Microserver XBMC box
I got one of the HP Microservers with the £100 mail in rebate, and I think it could make a decent XBMC box, but it's going to be very tight on PCI-E cards.

The feature set I'd like is:
-Dual DVB-T (Freeview).
-Very fast boot.
-IR Remote control.
-HDMI output with audio.
-Smooth 1080 HD playback.

I'd also like to keep it as quiet and green as possible given the above.

The microserver base specs, crucially it has an AMD netbook CPU and no onboard audio.

I'm mulling over design options and wouldn't mind a few second opinions.

Design:
-Gentoo linux, gives me the fast boot. I have lots of Linux experience.
-KWorld Dual DVB-T PE355-2T I understand this is one of the good tuner cards?
-nVidia GT 430 for it's HDMI out with internal SPDIF input from sound card for HDMI with audio and VDPAU support giving me the power to decode 1080 HD. All true?
-An undecided sound card with internal SPDIF output that will sit in an undisclosed location in the microserver using a flexible PCI-E riser from the secret 3rd PCI-E slot.
-4x Green 1TB HDD.
-Cheapest available Blue ray reader.

I'm seeing some scant documentation that some ATi cards with HDMI output can have a sort of logical sound card built in, is this the case? If so I could achieve what I want with only 2 PCI-E cards, not three. So long as the ATi card gives me video acceleration and the linux drivers are good eough.
I believe that the 430 doesn't require the spdif connector for sound over hdmi infact, I dont think the card has an input. My 210 doesn't (My old 8400 did) So I think you will be ok with the 2 cards.
Yea, I was pointed at the miroserver's thread which revealed that the 210 in it on linux will act as a sound card for HDMI audio output, and that it does support VDPAU. Which is epic.

The spec is now:
-Gentoo linux.
-HP Proliant Microserver.
-KWorld Dual DVB-T PE355-2T.
-nVidia GT 210.
-4x Green 1TB HDD.
-Cheapest available Blue ray reader.

My only query now is; can anyone confirm success with the DBV-T card on linux, whats the response time like for commands. My old Huppage (I know) card was woefully slow at channel hopping.
In the end I just bunged an GT520 in my microserver, it's perfect, not going to bother with a TV tuner.

I've got a drive or two in in and btrfs managing that.

I did try out gentoo, but quickly tired of compiling kernels and installed Ubuntu, now on 12.04, it just stays on so bot time is less of an issue.

Using the iPhone as a remote, that rocks. Also Ariplay, found it by accident then said "What the holy **** is that doing on my TV by pressing one button!"

Only thing I might change is to add a BluRay drive, how have people been finding those with XBMC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me design a HP Microserver XBMC box0