Subtitles and FTP
I connect to my NAS using FTP to avoid the buffering when using smb. However I now try to download subtitles using the xbmc plugin and it connects fine and seem to download. But no srt files are downloaded.

Anyone got FTP and subtitles from the plugin working?
Same happened to me... works fine when connected using smb, but with FTP... everything seems OK. But subtitles not showing and no trace of the 'downloaded' sub...
Captain Wrote:Same happened to me... works fine when connected using smb, but with FTP... everything seems OK. But subtitles not showing and no trace of the 'downloaded' sub...

Did you try creating a local subtitle folder and letting the subtitle downloader download to that folder? I have no difficulty believing that downloading to an FTP source is problematic

R.
Unfortunately, XBMC treats FTP as a read only source.
FTP are currently read only like branlr said. So you won't be able to save the subtitle track.
dazex Wrote:FTP are currently read only like branlr said. So you won't be able to save the subtitle track.

I would still try what I suggested. In the subtitle download-addon you can specify if the subtitle should be downloaded next to the file or in a separate folder. Plus in the video settings you can also specify a subtitle folder.

I believe setting both to the same folder will allow you to download subtitle for FTP-sources and use them.

Remco
kno1 Wrote:I would still try what I suggested. In the subtitle download-addon you can specify if the subtitle should be downloaded next to the file or in a separate folder. Plus in the video settings you can also specify a subtitle folder.

I believe setting both to the same folder will allow you to download subtitle for FTP-sources and use them.

Remco

Thanks for the suggestions!

The only issue I came across setting it up as you described is that in the subtitle download-addon I can't choose any of my network locations.

So I eventually set it up like this:
  • Via ssh I created a local dir on the ATV2, and selected that local dir in the subtitle download-addon config.
  • In the video settings I pointed my subtitles to a 'subtitle' directory on a SMB shared folder.

When you play something you can download the subtitle and it will work.
The only thing I now do once a month is copy the local ATV directory's content to my smb 'subititle' folder
This is necessary if you want your subtitles to work also the second time you play the same movie...or whatever.
Of course you can re-download the subtitles or leave them on the ATV2, but I rather have them on my network device.
What happens if u give the ftp user account (that u connect to the ftp server using) read/write access to the folder? (PS not tried this myself yet, I use FTP as a source but not had a need for subtitles as yet)
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
If you want to have it in a network location available

I found a workaround for that issue...

You have to set in Preferences/Video/Subtitles a custom location shared by smb in the main server (you must have it in the video sources)

Then you have to sftp the atv and edit the settings.xml in the addondata/xbmcsubtitles folder manually and set the same subtitle download folder.

After that it worked flawlessly!!!
Thumbs Up 
@nsviper: As branir mentioned earlier in this topic, XBMC treats FTP as a read only source.
Even if you use a 'full access' account to connect...

@Kalim3ru: This works like a sharm!! Thanks a lot for this solution!
Captain Wrote:@nsviper: As branir mentioned earlier in this topic, XBMC treats FTP as a read only source.
Even if you use a 'full access' account to connect...

@Kalim3ru: This works like a sharm!! Thanks a lot for this solution!

Excume, I've been trying to set up what it is commented here, but I can't make it work. I don't find the exact folder and I don't know if I am configuring the correct option in the "userdata/addon_data/script.xbmc.subtitles" Can u write an example please?

By the way, I'm use the nightly version of April, Thnxxxxx
the settings.xml file is located in: /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/addon_data/script.xbmc.subtitles

In the settings.xml file change the value of
<setting id="subfolderpath" value="smb://YOURnetworkDRIVE/whateverFOLDER/" />
to the exact same as the smb path you have setup under:
Settings - Video - Subtitles - Subtitle folder
don't forget the ending /
Tahnks, that's what I've done but it seems to download and then nothing happens...I don't know what I'm doing wrong...I'm getting crazy....
You have the necessary rights to write on the smb drive?
Did you write the path case sensitive?
Earlier in this topic, I had explained a setup where I stored the downloaded subs directly on the device... maybe that might be a temporary solution for you?
Thanks everybody!! I found the problem. Well....I don't know exactly what it was because I changed different things at the same time but, know it works!! I changed, rights, disabled de ESET firewall and found the gui settings in the XBMC (oohps.... Smile I change the "download in the same folder" option for a specific folder. Thank u so much

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Subtitles and FTP1