Streaming solution, over internet..
hi all..
So i have been reading various way of streaming over the internet.
so what is a bare minimum uplink speed required to have a stream without buffering ?

i have read that ccxstream is very bandwidth efficient.
Samba and FTP will not work will they ?

So before i even attempt this i want to know if my 100kb/s (1mb) uplink is even enough
I doubt you're going to be able to do it in an acceptable manner with that bandwidth...

That said, if you successfully achieve it, share with us. There's more people trying to do it.

Just out of curiosity, what is your goal? SD, HD, nasty 320x240 movies?

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
its not too tricky to calculate if you assume there is zero overhead by the streaming technology.

700mb movie, 120 minutes long (this would be pretty low quality):

100kb/s *60 = 6mb per minute

700mb / 120 mins = 5.83mb per minute.

so even on a 2 hour 700mb movie you're sailing pretty close to the wind. if the movie is shorter than 2 hours and/or larger than 700mb, you'll go over your 100kb/s threshhold. and this assumes a solid connection with no streaming overhead.

you'd be best letting it buffer for a while. you could calculate how much buffering is needed for a reliable stream (may be 25% of the movie size for example)
my goal is SD.
i am limited by my upload.

isnt there a way to lower the bitrate in the stream so it uses less data ?
haris2887 Wrote:my goal is SD.
i am limited by my upload.

isnt there a way to lower the bitrate in the stream so it uses less data ?

Only by reducing the quality, which is not adviseable on SD content. You would notice it. Also, unless the archive you stream from is that quality, you would need something that does this on the fly, which I doubt it readily available.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Streaming solution, over internet..0