Best skin for kids?
Which skin do you find most easy to use for kids? Please also add if there are any specific settings/mods that will make the skin even better to use for kids. Like kiosk mode.
Hmmm... Maybe Alaska? Although I´m not familiar with it, it does seem clean enough. Besides kiosk mode, I´d turn on parental mode (if available) and get rid of all custom backgrounds. The simplest, the better for them.
MAIN HTPC
Hardware: Intel Core i7 4.2 GHz (OC) + NVidia GeForce FX 250 + Corsair 6 GB DDR3 RAM (1600 MHz) + Thermalright True Copper heat sink + Noctua fans (x3)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit + XBMC Pre-Eden + Aeon MQ 3

SECONDARY HTPC
Hardware: Acer Aspire Revo 3700 + OCZ Vertex SSD
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit + XBMC Pre-Eden + Aeon MQ 3
Aeon Nox, Neon, Backrow, T! (all with Kiosk-Mode enabled) are easy to handle for kids.
I think any skin with kiosk-mode will be extremely helpful.
A specific home menu backdrop could also help.

In terms of design, Lithium (not finished) and Fusion are really a colorful eye-candy for kids.
Cheers
ubuntuf4n
PM3.HD has pretty easy navigation for kids.
That's the problem, most, if not all skins are not commercial ready. You find one you like, but it's missing certain types of views or features that another skin has. And in most cases, navigation is unintuitive with no arrows to show you can can press RIGHT or LEFT on the remote for more options (eg, shutdown options, view options, etc). Automatically, that's a fail if you're trying to appeal to wide audiences.

With so many skins, you'd think I could find one that was really user friendly for my family so that I don't have to keep fiddling with it, but no such luck so far.
Arrows or some kind of visible clue would be great!

Another thing missing from all (?) skins is a big logout button. We never shut down (appletv). And we have several profiles.
I would recommend Alaska Revisited.
My daughter handles it easy.
You could create a custom (sub-)menu item for logout.
The skin already comes with a logout button as a submenu item of "Settings".

I would rather not use submenues since I don't believe it is very user user-friendly.
markiz Wrote:I would rather not use submenues since I don't believe it is very user user-friendly.
xTV-SAF has a logout (Quit) button that is available on the home screen and it does not use submenus. Unfortunately it is very user friendly as my 4,6 and 9 year olds navigate around just fine. I'm now having to come up with ways to keep them in check Big Grin.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
wyrm Wrote:xTV-SAF has a logout (Quit) button that is available on the home screen and it does not use submenus. Unfortunately it is very user friendly as my 4,6 and 9 year olds navigate around just fine. I'm now having to come up with ways to keep them in check Big Grin.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)

Great! Is it possible to use this with Dharma? I'm using ATV2.
markiz Wrote:Great! Is it possible to use this with Dharma? I'm using ATV2.
I'm running this on my AppleTV2, and as long as you turn off some of the bling, it runs fine. See here for details on installing.

Wyrm (xTV-SAF)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
if someone (graphics guy) mocks up a kids skin i would code something simple up i have a baby and would love to work on a kids skin if someone wants to mock something up shouldn't be hard or take very long to code

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best skin for kids?0