[Windows] Sensible hardware configuration?
Am setting up a new HTPC with XBMC.

XBMC will run on secondary display (ie. plasma TV).

Should be able to send all sound/video over HDMI.

Thanks for any suggestions.
wheres the case?
I have it already. Not important. Will be in another room...
pretty powerful HTPC,,,
do u need it that strong?
your gonna play Heavy PC Games or Rip Bluray Discs with it?
eskro Wrote:pretty powerful HTPC,,,
do u need it that strong?
your gonna play Heavy PC Games or Rip Bluray Discs with it?

It ill be used as a work PC too. Ripping, videoediting etc.
I only see one HDD. Are you planning on storing your OS/Apps and your media on the same drive? Probably not the best idea. I'd recommend having one (or more) large green drives for media and a seperate smaller, faster drive (7200+ rpm HDD or SSD) for your OS and Apps. That is the best configuration.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:I only see one HDD. Are you planning on storing your OS/Apps and your media on the same drive? Probably not the best idea. I'd recommend having one (or more) large green drives for media and a seperate smaller, faster drive (7200+ rpm HDD or SSD) for your OS and Apps. That is the best configuration.

Thanks. I already have a 7200 HDD for OS and apps. Will use a mirrored RAID config with wo 2TB HDD for media.
Are you using a HTPC case or normal case if its a HTPC I would always go for a modular PSU in fact if you have the budget I would go that route anyway the less redundant cables the better the air flow
Using a regular maxi tower. What benefits are there with modular PSU?
With a modular PSU the device cables aren't attached you only attach the cables you need which is a much cleaner solution especially in a HTPC case where space is minimal maybe not as important in a tower
OK, thanks. Since this is a maxi tower I think the problem will be minimal. Agree?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Windows] Sensible hardware configuration?0