• 66(current)
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes)
Im running the 22/7 release on my atv2 using SMB and it seems I loose connection to my files. XBMC says the file(s) no longer exist.(as it does)
I need to reboot my server to get it working again. My internet connection is still alive tho and I can use the web just fine.

If I try to access the shared folders eafter this has happened it instantly says it times out.

This only happens on my ATV2. Anyone got any ideas or have experienced this aswell ? I'll probably just live with it until the stable release but just thought i'd ask.
It helps to know if its just me.

thanks
I've been doing some experimenting on the 27-07 nightly to see what affects the slow fanart & thumb / playback start issue. I don't know if this is interesting or not but I'll post it anyway...

I get about the same playback start times regardless of how my media is attached - tried both smb and nfs. My Thumbnails folder is stored remotely via pathsubstitution, again I get about the same thumb/fanart performance regardless of smb or nfs. However, if my Thumbnails folder is empty (so no fanart or thumbs are displayed in the GUI), playback start is down to the 4-5 seconds you get from the 10.09 official build. So, whatever is causing the slow media start seems in some way related to whatever's going on with the fanart / thumbs, would be my guess.

FWIW, one of the main playback start delays in the log is consistently after "probing detected format"...

Code:
10:23:03 T:248274944 M: 96481280   DEBUG: Open - probing detected format [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2]
10:23:15 T:248274944 M: 96325632   DEBUG: Open - av_find_stream_info starting

Maybe that will help, I dunno... Smile

Chris
When using ltest nightly I get when playing any xvid file it says an add on coukd not be loaded an error happened. The audio plays but no video I still see my menu.

Also just to make sure when I went to 10.0.9 and had the horizontal menu. When I went to nightly it went back to the old menu. Did I do something wrong.
I installed the latest nightly and found little difference as well. I have a few H.264 MKV files that are unable to use the hardware acceleration (for whatever reason..maybe encoded using features not supported) and they play choppy with XBMC even after this build. I know it is not the ipad2 hardware because I can play the same files completely smoothly using software decoding with AVPLAYERHD that can be purchased from the app store.

Overall this is not a big deal because the vast majority of my files play using the hardware acceleration and they play great. Id just like to see XBMC make the most of the hardware.

popcornmix Wrote:It looks like the code only multi-threads the codec for software decode of MPEG4 and H264. H264 uses hardware decode, so MPEG4 is the only possible benificiary of this change.

720p XviD files may start working. (I've not tested that).
I figured that I will share my experience I have with these builds. Initially, I ran into a whole lot of problems after upgrading from 10.0.7. I tried to downgrade to a range of previous releases, i.e. 10.0.4 to 10.0.9. The SMB playback became very sluggish, it continues to buffer almost every 10 seconds, basically rendering watch unbearable. To make matters worse, the audio went out of sync. Also, the media sources in the Videos went missing. You can well imagine now...

I spent 2 full weekends tinkering and reading in the threads for solutions. I had also upgraded my NAS HDD from 500GB (7200rpm)to 2TB (5900rpm), so I was suspecting that the stream rate got affected.

Then, I decided to uninstall and remove all traces of XBMC and start from scratch. Literally. I deleted all the folders and then did a clean install from 10.0.4. Ok, everything looks expected of that build. After that, I upgraded straight to the nightly build 0722. YOU KNOW WHAT? All the sluggishness and issues I experienced were ALL GONE! Now I can conclude that due to the upgrades and downgrades had created residual effects/files which cause the XBMC to malfunction.

I will recommend anyone who has been frustrated to try my method. The nightly builds are really fast and awesome! There is no turning back for me. Kudos to Memphis and Keith for their great work. Cheers. Laugh
A questions if I may:-

If I want to install the latest nightly build, can I just install over the previous version?

Thanks in advance
When I select "show calibration image..." from settings nothing happens, are the nightly missing the images? Can I add them manually somehow?
ady199 Wrote:A questions if I may:-

If I want to install the latest nightly build, can I just install over the previous version?

Thanks in advance

Yes, you can, just install over it.
edwingoh Wrote:.
I spent 2 full weekends tinkering and reading in the threads for solutions. I had also upgraded my NAS HDD from 500GB (7200rpm)to 2TB (5900rpm), so I was suspecting that the stream rate got affected.

Then, I decided to uninstall and remove all traces of XBMC and start from scratch. Literally. I deleted all the folders and then did a clean install from 10.0.4. Ok, everything looks expected of that build. After that, I upgraded straight to the nightly build 0722. YOU KNOW WHAT? All the sluggishness and issues I experienced were ALL GONE! Now I can conclude that due to the upgrades and downgrades had created residual effects/files which cause the XBMC to malfunction.

Whats 10.0.4? This sounds more like mis-configuration that was wiped out with deletion rather than assuming it's residual effects. Remember, configuration files are kept on upgrades, so that is most likely the source of the issue.

Blowing away your configuration entirely and starting from scratch is always a good thing to do especially when testing builds and I encourage everyone if they have this issue to save their userdata folder, blow away their configuration and put files back one by one until the culprit is found.
Mireen Wrote:I installed the latest nightly and found little difference as well. I have a few H.264 MKV files that are unable to use the hardware acceleration (for whatever reason..maybe encoded using features not supported) and they play choppy with XBMC even after this build.

In order to even think about investigating this, we will need:
XBMC log with debug enabled
Mediainfo dump of the file

And a sample of the media file in question, 50-100mb is fine.

Please see the 'howto post a problem' thread in my sig or stickied on XBMC-IOS subforum.
ilovemymac Wrote:Also just to make sure when I went to 10.0.9 and had the horizontal menu. When I went to nightly it went back to the old menu. Did I do something wrong.

You definitely have something mis-configured, or you're using an old nightly.
So you can either post your xbmc.log file to help us investigate, or you can do what I would do, which is uninstall XBMC entirely, make sure /var/mobile/Preferences/XBMC is removed, and then start over.
fluffylob Wrote:I've been doing some experimenting on the 27-07 nightly to see what affects the slow fanart & thumb / playback start issue. I don't know if this is interesting or not but I'll post it anyway...

I get about the same playback start times regardless of how my media is attached - tried both smb and nfs. My Thumbnails folder is stored remotely via pathsubstitution, again I get about the same thumb/fanart performance regardless of smb or nfs. However, if my Thumbnails folder is empty (so no fanart or thumbs are displayed in the GUI), playback start is down to the 4-5 seconds you get from the 10.09 official build. So, whatever is causing the slow media start seems in some way related to whatever's going on with the fanart / thumbs, would be my guess.

FWIW, one of the main playback start delays in the log is consistently after "probing detected format"...

Code:
10:23:03 T:248274944 M: 96481280   DEBUG: Open - probing detected format [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2]
10:23:15 T:248274944 M: 96325632   DEBUG: Open - av_find_stream_info starting

Maybe that will help, I dunno... Smile

Chris

Good find! Hopefully a dev is listening. Smile
ack1 Wrote:Im running the 22/7 release on my atv2 using SMB and it seems I loose connection to my files. XBMC says the file(s) no longer exist.(as it does)

We can't help you without a debug log. See the 'how to post a problem' thread in my sig, or stickied in this sub-forum.
keith Wrote:Whats 10.0.4? This sounds more like mis-configuration that was wiped out with deletion rather than assuming it's residual effects. Remember, configuration files are kept on upgrades, so that is most likely the source of the issue.

Blowing away your configuration entirely and starting from scratch is always a good thing to do especially when testing builds and I encourage everyone if they have this issue to save their userdata folder, blow away their configuration and put files back one by one until the culprit is found.

Agree!Nod
Konrad77 Wrote:When I select "show calibration image..." from settings nothing happens, are the nightly missing the images? Can I add them manually somehow?

In the calibration screen, hit the right arrow a ton. This should bring up a light blue bar on the left side, now down arrow and you should eventually see the blue bar on the left top of the screen.

Calibrate it so you can't see the blue, but its one click away. Now hit the middle button and do that again for the lower right hand corner.

I just verified this functionality on the current nightly.
  • 66(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes)2