• 69(current)
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes)
Memphiz Wrote:known issue Sad ... no clue yet ...

Ah, okay, no worries--thanks Smile I didn't see it in the first post in this thread, so I wasn't sure if it was known or not.
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Sorry guys, but this thread is becoming too long and too many posts/replies on too many different builds to be usable to me. A thread per build would be more useful.
sorry ... but this thread is not really for the users ... but for us devs Wink - i mean ... you post bugs - and we try to not die on it as good as we can Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:sorry ... but this thread is not really for the users ... but for us devs Wink - i mean ... you post bugs - and we try to not die on it as good as we can Wink

Appreciate that, but it does not change anything about the usability. I track the dev efforts and check on my stuff. But tracking issues related to builds is now becoming an issue to me. But then again, it could simply be me ;-)

TIA anyway for all efforts
I think there is a bigger issue here. Is there a simple way to see what bugs are still open against xbmc-IOS in detail and which ones have been fixed in a specific release? Maybe it would be helpful also if one would post the work-around or other details of follow-up to the associated bug (ie problem) that way you don't have to sort through this thread in order to find out the status of a specific issue. I see this as a great benefit for dev.

Welcome any feedback or suggestions.

pooh Wrote:Appreciate that, but it does not change anything about the usability. I track the dev efforts and check on my stuff. But tracking issues related to builds is now becoming an issue to me. But then again, it could simply be me ;-)

TIA anyway for all efforts
We need to stop with the silly "official" build/"unofficial" build stuff. One thread, one build, till the bot works. Track issues via a page on the wiki that links to posts in the new "zomg semi-weekly" thread. Someone(s) who is OCD about checking the boards and knows their way around Mediawiki software would be needed. I could be one of these peoples. Our wiki is so under used that it hurts. Mixing both forum and wiki is actually pretty easy.

Just my 12 cents
Ned Scott, feel free to start on the wiki pages. I'm such once you figure out a structure and start throwing in content, others will too. Smile

I don't think it's silly having two builds, but maybe we should make the designation stronger than official/unofficial. Google Chrome for example, has stable, beta, dev, nightly/canary and they make it really obvious: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2010/07...build.html

ironmanco: I used to do that, but I've gotten lazy/releases have gotten crazier.

The real deal though guys, is basically since iOS is now part of master, it's growing through the typical unstable growing pains of a vast project like this. There's a reason the release date for Eden isn't anytime soon and anyone who has a problem with this SHOULD NOT BE ON THIS BUILD.

Everyone should be using 10.0-9 and dealing with the bugs. And if you want, compiling a list of bugs in 10.0-9 and making a thread so we can cross-ref we've fixed all of them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Don't use these builds if you don't need too. If you care when stuff breaks, don't use them. If you don't want to follow along, don't use them. If you think reading thru hundreds of posts is not for you, don't use them. Seems simple enough?

On top of that, my build environment is messed up somehow, But Memphiz did another build that works great! So I'll be posting it. He also made us a Changelog. Memphiz is 'that dude' and everyone, if you see him around, buy him a beer, or at least thanks.

1. don't cache already cached thumbnails
2. many language fixes
3. many dr fixes
4. nfs smokers pause bug (pause video for > 10 min and crash when using nfs) - fixed
5. paplayer plays music again (known issue - could stutter some time after start - but will settle then)
6. gimli wrote gles spectrum visualisation (its one plugin which allows to select between spectrum 3d and waveform viz, it is 2 viz inside one viz addon ... glesspectrum has both in it - changeable with the addon settings)
7. many many under the hood changes which i just don't get Wink
8. no work on slow thumbs was done Wink *hehe*

the waveform viz is slow - known issue ...

http://xbmc.hadm.net

Have fun!
keith Wrote:On top of that, my build environment is messed up somehow, But Memphiz did another build that works great! So I'll be posting it. He also made us a Changelog. Memphiz is 'that dude' and everyone, if you see him around, buy him a beer, or at least thanks.

Keith, throw me a pm with your build issues, it might be something I've come across recently. I've got my Lion machine up and building again. ATV2 only, haven't tried iOS. OSX is a no go either due to Xcode version.

If I have helped you in any way, please forgive me, it was entirely accidental.
keith,

Two things before I contribute my comments: 1) I am in awe of the job you and the rest of the devs do, and have done, to make XBMC what it is so far, let alone what it will become; and 2), I'm new here, so my comments don't carry a whole lot of weight at this point, but I'd like to share my thoughts anyway if you don't mind.

First off--totally agree that it would be less confusing if the two builds were called "stable" and "beta" (or even "alpha", if you really want to put people off using the nightlies), rather than "official/unofficial". It's a lot more standard nomenclature.

The thing is, I think you guys are in a sense victims of your own success. I can only really speak for myself in this, but it seems to me that XBMC has become such a viable solution to the media streaming needs of so many people, that now pure laypeople are coming in greater numbers. I'm somewhat technically inclined (did computer tech support for 20 years), but I'm no expert, and thus I've found myself a little stumped by some of the terminology and issues surrounding current releases of XBMC, particularly for the Apple TV2. I suspect "devspeak", which may have been sufficient in the past, will also need to incorporate more "layspeak"; if not, you'll find yourselves answering a million and one "what's the unofficial build?" questions Wink

Second--I think part of the problem too is that average Joes like me come here, and we want to try to stay out of you guys' hair, and not pester with silly questions (at least I know I want to avoid that). But there are a million places where there's information, some of it out of date, some of it conflicting. There's the wiki, various threads throughout the forums, the FAQ's, threads on other websites, etc. And again, it's a bit technical for people who aren't "in the know" like you guys are. A more centralized and more accessible-to-laypeople wiki would be a great start.

Third--what, you mean you guys DON'T have a build yet with a fix for the slow thumbnail issue I raised a few hours ago? Wink hehehehe....kidding of course.

Anyway, like I said, I'm new here, so please take my comments with a very large grain of salt!
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Unofficial + official is fine for me but I'm a developer so I get where its all coming from.
What I do agree with is the need for a single page that keeps up to date with the issues. At the moment their are scattered through the 100+ pages of this post spanning multiple nightlies.

Wont help the people who dont read the FAQ, wiki or stickied posts (and should not be on this build - keith Smile ) but will be a good resource for those that dont have time to monitor all the threads all the time.
We definitely need to do some pruning. I will unstick this 101+ thread and lock it and try to re-summarize it and start over, like before.
And thanks for the feedback!

Stay tuned! Hopefully I'll stay on it better this time.
you should resticky this imho ... it will confuse people when this thread is missing ... but leave it closed Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
  • 69(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[old] Unofficial semi-nightly build FAQ/info/issues (here for archival purposes)2