• 3(current)
[WIP] MLB.TV Boxee App port (developers needed!)
AFAIK, Boxee is not charging, nor are they doing any of the authentication. It's MLB.com that charges the fee, as they always have. I probably should have mentioned this in the OP, but this app does require a subscription to work (we could probably purchase a developer subscription if someone is willing to take this project under their wing).

The mlbviewer project uses the same authentication method that the in-browser player does (swf-based, I believe). I don't know for sure, but I think Boxee probably does the same. So my understanding is if we can just store the user/pass in the XBMC database (rather than on Boxee server), there's no need to even have a Boxee account.
Thanks for the great work cant wait to see the final product, BTW 1 month free is in effect for MLB right now I am watching on iphone now, so if you can get this compelted soon we can at least get 1 month of FREE viewing or so

Thanks

BTW it does work fine with Playon
theophile Wrote:this app does require a subscription to work (we could probably purchase a developer subscription if someone is willing to take this project under their wing).

I'd contribute towards a developer subscription if that becomes necessary.
How much are subscriptions for mlb.tv? 25$ a month? I suppose we could split the cost for a month, hopefully that's all we'd need.
Anything going on with this lads?
I tried bartsidee's code a few posts back and it did not change anything for me. At this point, we have two group of people: those with the desire to make this work, and those with the time and ability. The problem is there doesn't seem to be a lot of overlap between the two.

To the devs: If you're interested in assisting, how can we help? Do we need to buy a developer account on MLB.TV? Should I turn over git to someone else? Just let us know!
I'm guessing that development on this stopped? I'm still holding out hope that someone may get it to work this season as the initial progress was encouraging. I wish there was something I could do to contribute and, as I've noted, I'd definitely throw some dollars or cents at the cause if it's needed.
Is the problem just getting to mlb. Why not just go to the site using FF and view the games. Try from terminal (If you have FF installed) sudo DISPLAY=":0.0" firefox "www.mlb.com"
Probably will need to re-size window (Bottom right corner, click and drag) hit F11 for full screen and watch a game. Will need a kybd and mouse though or combo. (New mini kybd like the Lenovo)

I realize that it's better if integrated into xbmc (Remote/Virtual Kybd works), but at least this will get you to the game. just create a script and add it to launcher with mlb artwork and it works. Or just install a wm (openbox/fluxbox and FF) and create a launcher that calls the wm first then FF to open in a seperate window. Also, might be nice to install something like devilspie and open it in a another desktop (desktop2) session/window. Heck, I might try that and see if I can hot key between desktops, that might be cool. Could just build a nice script around the whole process.
I would like to help but as I've said before, It's above my skill level Eek

Maybe we could get something going starting from scratch with a more "traditional plugin" type add-on?

I spent the better part of the day poking around the video section of mlb.com and come up with an add-on I'm calling MLB-Highlights.

You can get it from my repo or download the zip here.
divingmule Wrote:I would like to help but as I've said before, It's above my skill level Eek

Maybe we could get something going starting from scratch with a more "traditional plugin" type add-on?

I spent the better part of the day poking around the video section of mlb.com and come up with an add-on I'm calling MLB-Highlights.

You can get it from my repo or download the zip here.

Now just need to get it working with live streams and it's golden Wink
Just checked back in so I haven't gotten to test this out yet, but divingmule, can you summarize the status of the plugin? I hacked on mlbviewer so that it can produce an XBMC-compliant .strm file that works with live games. Sounds like all the machinery is there, we just need to get it assembled properly.
theophile Wrote:Just checked back in so I haven't gotten to test this out yet, but divingmule, can you summarize the status of the plugin? I hacked on mlbviewer so that it can produce an XBMC-compliant .strm file that works with live games. Sounds like all the machinery is there, we just need to get it assembled properly.

The Highlights plugin works fairly well but suffers from the occasional 403 Forbidden error. I think because I can't get and pass cookies, from the web site they are generated via java script. I'v been trying to use some code from mlbviewer to log in and get cookies but I haven't been able to successfully log in yet, not sure if it's my freebe account or how I'm passing the username-password, probably not doing the username-password correctly.

I'v been trying to get mlbviewer working but one of the requirements, PyXML - http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/download.html, will not install. Did you have trouble with this?

If we could get login and cookies working, I don't 'think' getting the games would be a problem.
divingmule Wrote:I've been trying to get mlbviewer working but one of the requirements, PyXML - http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/download.html, will not install. Did you have trouble with this?

If we could get login and cookies working, I don't 'think' getting the games would be a problem.

I don't remember exactly how I satisfied that dependency, whether it was via the Ubuntu repos, easy_install, or compiled by hand. I *think* "apt-get install python-libxml2" takes care of it, but if not, this might help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4...ostcount=3
theophile Wrote:Just checked back in so I haven't gotten to test this out yet, but divingmule, can you summarize the status of the plugin? I hacked on mlbviewer so that it can produce an XBMC-compliant .strm file that works with live games. Sounds like all the machinery is there, we just need to get it assembled properly.

Making some progress here with the games. I'm getting the urls returned but xbmc doesn't like them or it's my freebee account.

theophile, did you modify the url's returned by mlbviewer for your .strm file? If so could you give an example?
Yes, I did have to modify mlbtv.py. mlbviewer returns a string of arguments for rtmpdump, which uses a s lightly different syntax than XBMC, which uses librtmp. I posted about it on this forum and got a very helpful response here.

I used that information to hack on mlbtv.py, and got it so that it would return the URL in the way librtmp likes it. The diff for mlbtv.py is here. It's not very clean, and this was against an earlier revision, so you may need to look at the changes and make them yourself. It wasn't much.

But that hack produces a .strm file, which looks like this. XBMC can play that file, and loads the game. That said, I could only get it to work for live games, not archived ones. I don't know why and I didn't investigate very much, but hopefully this will be enough to get you going in the right direction. Your skills far surpass mine.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[WIP] MLB.TV Boxee App port (developers needed!)3