• 3(current)
[RELEASE] Canada On Demand (Successor to CTV Properties)
Just finished going through all channels, and adding Bookmarks.

Works extremely well, just a shame that they show in the order that we put them, and we can't just do an alphabetical listing (option is greyed out).

The Bookmark option is an IMMENSE improvement over the past versions, it really helps keep tight control over our shows, organize to our preference, and keep away the clutter.

====

I don't know if it is even feasible, but having a "Newest" or "Recently added" so we know what new episodes have just been released to their channel? Or, maybe easier: having the number of days since the most recent episode beside the directory, eg:

The Daily Show (8 days)
Family Guy (0 days)

Which would mean that the most recent episode from the Daily Show directory was 8 days old, whereas the most recent episode of Family Guy was released today. You could have that in the Bookmarks only, or in all of the directories for all the channels. I would think that people would rather have that option for their favorites, versus overcrowding the screen with information for all shows....

So when I would check my Bookmarks, I would immediately see which shows have new episodes, and I would watch them, compared to having to go through all directories hoping the new episode was released.

Can this be done?
SimonMTL Wrote:Just finished going through all channels, and adding Bookmarks.

Works extremely well, just a shame that they show in the order that we put them, and we can't just do an alphabetical listing (option is greyed out).

The Bookmark option is an IMMENSE improvement over the past versions, it really helps keep tight control over our shows, organize to our preference, and keep away the clutter.

====

I don't know if it is even feasible, but having a "Newest" or "Recently added" so we know what new episodes have just been released to their channel? Or, maybe easier: having the number of days since the most recent episode beside the directory, eg:

The Daily Show (8 days)
Family Guy (0 days)

Which would mean that the most recent episode from the Daily Show directory was 8 days old, whereas the most recent episode of Family Guy was released today. You could have that in the Bookmarks only, or in all of the directories for all the channels. I would think that people would rather have that option for their favorites, versus overcrowding the screen with information for all shows....

So when I would check my Bookmarks, I would immediately see which shows have new episodes, and I would watch them, compared to having to go through all directories hoping the new episode was released.

Can this be done?

No unfortunately it can't. since it's possible to bookmark ANYTHING, even a top-level channel, I would have to be able to check every nook and cranny of that channel for new content, that alone could take a several minutes.. then multiply that by the number of items in a bookmark folder and you've got a serious problem...

I'll try to implement more 'latest' functionality on a per-channel basis, then you can bookmark those, but thats about the best I can do.

also, I lied, 0.3.5 just landed with CPAC support. going to bed now though.
dagatech Wrote:Do most of these channels require you to be on a Canadian IP to work? I'm in the US and can't play anything on Discovery, Food, CTV, etc.

very few, if any, of these channels work with a US ip.
i'm in canada, and i use a vpn account to access US content such as netflix and hulu.
if i stay connected to my vpn account i can't access any content found on canada on demand.
if i log off the vpn and use my canadian provider account i can watch everything this addon has to offer.

cheers to the dev team of this addon. great work. i'm one step closer to turning off my satellite subscription.

"une criss de belle job les gars !!!" Smile
moosenoz Wrote:very few, if any, of these channels work with a US ip.
i'm in canada, and i use a vpn account to access US content such as netflix and hulu.
if i stay connected to my vpn account i can't access any content found on canada on demand.
if i log off the vpn and use my canadian provider account i can watch everything this addon has to offer.

cheers to the dev team of this addon. great work. i'm one step closer to turning off my satellite subscription.

"une criss de belle job les gars !!!" Smile

CTV has a handful of clips but they're hard to find.. on the website they'll be the clips not marked with a Canadian flag.

Tou.TV has quite a bit of content that isn't locked to Canada: check out http://tou.tv/repertoire/ everything with the green light in the far-right column is available globally. I'm sure there are more, but its going to be different for each channel, if there is enough interest I'll look into making a setting to hide content that is only available in Canada, but it probably won't ever be perfect, and may not be possible for some channels at all.

Glad you're enjoying the plugin Smile
@SimonMTL
SRC actually has a feed for "mist recent" so that's not really a plugin category, it's just another one of the categories they offer.
CBC is. Real pain and I haven't fixed/tested CBC Sports/kids yet. It should work down to the show name, season number but then all releases will be empty :-)
I'm working on a fix for that which doesn't break CBC Shows at the same time (agrr)

@sting2010
That's just the way the show feeds are presented to us... If ever XBMC offers a way to automatically queue up several clips, we'll be all over that ;-)
It is only the CTVGlobemedia channels which do that
@osirisjem
Your'e clearly leafs fan... I dont expect most improvements will help and enable that sickness. Maybe inserting Habs games into your Leafs bookmarks would help?

Andre, I leave for 1 weekend and...wow.
i don't know who came up with the "canada on demand" icon / poster shown on the first page but it looks great.

would there happen to be 1280 x 720 version of this lying around somewhere?

i'd love to have a canada on demand shortcut on my main menu with that poster as a backdrop
moosenoz Wrote:i don't know who came up with the "canada on demand" icon / poster shown on the first page but it looks great.

i'd love to have a canada on demand shortcut on my main menu with that poster as a backdrop

PatK did it. he may be able to make you a wallpaper sized one.
Star 
moosenoz Wrote:i don't know who came up with the "canada on demand" icon / poster shown on the first page but it looks great.

I didn't have a chance to resize this. 3megs 1400 Image
renaudtrudel Wrote:@osirisjem
Your'e clearly leafs fan... I dont expect most improvements will help and enable that sickness. Maybe inserting Habs games into your Leafs bookmarks would help?

Andre, I leave for 1 weekend and...wow.

May I also suggest to the developers that ALL LEAFS content also be automatically removed from the menu's the first week of April each year since that is always when their season ends as well.

Big Grin Sorry, couldn't resist...
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
Thank you for your continued work on this plugin. It's good to see Canadian content up here. Smile
Some other Canadian content:

- CityTV (some good content)
- National Film Board (all content available)
- Télé-Québec (lots of content)
- V-Télé (also lots of content)

Just to make it even more complete! Wink
Is it possible to have "Family Channel" added?

I think this is the Canadian equivalent of the Disney Channel...

Pretty cool plugin!
SpringsteenRadio.com: All Boss, All The Time
radioKAOS: killer internet radio
@SimonMTL

I'm currently working at understanding all the Brightcove-based channel content. City, V (and TeleQ iirc) are all examples of channels using Brightcove as a backend.

Never thought of NFB, but I don't recognise the backend so that might be custom/later development (sorry)
Noticed two small bugs after bookmarking CTV Local News / Toronto:

1. I typed in a label of "CTV Toronto", but it shows in my bookmarks as just Toronto, ie. it's not displaying the label I specified. Tried it a couple times to confirm.

2. Bookmarking sub-headings, like Toronto under CTV Local News, doesn't have an image associated with it under bookmarks. A sensible default would be to use the image from its parent, CTV Local News.

Just two aesthetic notes I'm sure you've noticed yourself:

1. some of the images don't display very well with a black background. Most of them look great on a white background though (except Tou.TV and Global News). Perhaps placing a white background behind the icons would be a better default.

2. some of the images aren't sized properly for certain views in a theme, ie. panel display in particularly stretches them. Not sure if there's anything you could do about this, but not really a big deal.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] Canada On Demand (Successor to CTV Properties)11