Stuttering, buffering etc
Hi

-I have bought ATV2 and jailbroke it with greenpois0n.
-Installed xbmc, latest stable.

Now i can't get any .264 720p movies to stream without constant stutter and buffering. I have tried this over wireless and wired, exact same symptoms.

This is done over smb via my freenas server. And network is a d-link dir-655. If a stream the same movie to my laptop, no issues, runs perfect over wireless.

I have tried to stream from a windows computer / smb, same stutter.

I have tried to see if there was any issues with my router and only found that to have enabled Multicast Streaming should be enabled. But that didnt make a difference. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa...tstart=210

Now iso files doesn't work over smb, but if i use upnp i can stream iso files perfectly but not my mkv files, they are shown as 0kb in size?

I have also reset device and re jail broke it. Same thing. I am getting insane as i cant resolve anything or at least have my iso files to work over smb as scraping doesn't work over upnp.

I have a colleague whom has bought it as well he says every thing is just working perfectly over smb? I have tried every post in here but nothing works? i am really getting out of ideas. Please help Smile
2 options to try are:

- UPNP - ps3mediaserver - works great for all file types, however you will find the scrapers can crash on UPNP connections.
- FTP - does your NAS device have an FTP service like mine? I'm currently using this and scrapers are all good and no stuttering on files.
Labrat666,

I have the same router. Have you checked in router what signal or througput you have to atv? I dont have multicast streaming available. Since you tried with cable its weird problem you have. Iso files i cant play either but 1080p .mkv and 720p .mkv no problems.

I have nas connected to router then wirless atv to one and wired to one. I have both upnp, ftp and smb installed.
try re-encoding MKV with handbrake, using the apple tv 2 setting.
see http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96958
killdashnine Wrote:try re-encoding MKV with handbrake, using the apple tv 2 setting.

Re encoding the mkv files did the trick with my hd movies. Thank you!
nsviper Wrote:2 options to try are:

- UPNP - ps3mediaserver - works great for all file types, however you will find the scrapers can crash on UPNP connections.
- FTP - does your NAS device have an FTP service like mine? I'm currently using this and scrapers are all good and no stuttering on files.

FTP did nothing but buffer every 30 seconds, do i need to change anything in FTP config?

I am still curios why i can stream iso files perfectly via upnp and not via smb?
Labrat666 Wrote:Re encoding the mkv files did the trick with my hd movies. Thank you!

No problem... I've been preaching that if you work within Apple TV's parameters, you'll yield more positive results.
I've run into the same problem as the OP. Everything was running great and I would never get buffering on 720p HD movies. Then iOS 4.3 came out and the update crashed it, after fixing that using updatebegone and modifying the .hosts file, I get horrible buffer. The only correlation to my problem seems to be from the update notification because before I was having no problem.

Could it be that the ATV is still pinging for that update? Thus taking resources from the ATV to play video?
Poowill Wrote:I've run into the same problem as the OP. Everything was running great and I would never get buffering on 720p HD movies. Then iOS 4.3 came out and the update crashed it, after fixing that using updatebegone and modifying the .hosts file, I get horrible buffer. The only correlation to my problem seems to be from the update notification because before I was having no problem.

Could it be that the ATV is still pinging for that update? Thus taking resources from the ATV to play video?

if you install top, then you can see.

apt-get install top
top -o cpu
davilla Wrote:if you install top, then you can see.

apt-get install top
top -o cpu

Thanks, I'll see if I can make anything from it. Still new to all this ha
on the ATV2 with large MKVs over SMB, I discovered something on mine. The buffering actually would occasionally happen even with just standard DVD rips. This also would happen on my older NMT media tank and on their forums they recommended .TS files instead of .MKV because of the way the containers work are less "beefy" hardware. I encoded my blu-rays into high bit rate MKV and then demuxed in to TS containers. It streams cleanly on the ATV2 even when fast forwarding and the files are larger (720p) than the DVD MKV files. With my DVD MKV files it buffers after even fast forward. Note that with .TS files you lose subtitles and other custom things that you can carry within MKV files. Now to figure out how to batch demux all my MKVs into .TS files (I don't really care about subtitles and extra audio channels). Maybe an update will improve the MKV performance on the ATV2....
I installed top and can see that every 5 seconds the AppleTV process spikes to 20% usage for 2 seconds or so.

Is this normal behaviour?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Stuttering, buffering etc0