XBMC still dying every few mins after update hosts blocked
Hey guys, looking for a bit of help from the pros if that'is ok

AppleTV2, iOS 4.2.1, installed via nito-tv, fully updated, jailbroken with greenpois0n RC6.1

First up - thanks for such great work; a testament to open source :-)

I've got some troubles with my ATV2 dropping back to the main Apple UI after a few mins... Now I know there will be a few /sighs as this issue has come up many times but I've already blocked the 3 hosts in /etc/hosts and confirmed with pings that they hit loopback, but still have something kill XBMC every few mins...

Have pasted what I think are probably the most relevant parts of the log - it's also worth noting that the 'AppleTV' process sits at 15-30% at the AppleUI, and hits 70-80% in XBMC.

Quote:Mar 19 15:40:58 Apple-TV ReportCrash[84]: Formulating crash report for process AppleTV[30]
Mar 19 15:40:58 Apple-TV ReportCrash[84]: Saved crashreport to /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/AppleTV_2011-03-19-154057_Apple-TV.plist using uid: 0 gid: 0, synthetic_euid: 501 egid: 0
Mar 19 15:40:58 Apple-TV kernel[0]: virtual void AppleRGBOUT::do_power_state_change(): fSoft: 0 fHard: 1 swapBusy: 0 fController: 1 -> 0
Mar 19 15:40:58 Apple-TV kernel[0]: bool AppleRGBOUT::power_down_hardware()
Mar 19 15:40:58 Apple-TV kernel[0]: bool AppleRGBOUT::power_down_hardware(), stop the link
Mar 19 15:40:58 Apple-TV kernel[0]: [000264.238111884]: AppleANX9836::downstreamSetTMDSState:(0x8685a000) TMDS output disabled
Mar 19 15:40:59 Apple-TV com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.frontrow[30]): (com.apple.frontrow) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault
Mar 19 15:40:59 Apple-TV AppleTV[85]: MS:Notice: Installing: com.apple.lowtide [AppleTV] (550.52)

~ Various hardware powerup messages, network startup etc, followed by:

Quote:Mar 19 15:41:02 Apple-TV /Applications/AppleTV.app/AppleTV[85]: PM: Set PM idle time to 15 seconds.
Mar 19 15:41:02 Apple-TV /Applications/AppleTV.app/AppleTV[85]: PM: Set PM assertion to hold off idle sleep.
Mar 19 15:41:02 Apple-TV /Applications/AppleTV.app/AppleTV[85]: PM: Failed to create idle sleep enable assertion: e00002c7
Mar 19 15:41:02 Apple-TV AppleTV[85]: localHostName: Apple-TV
Mar 19 15:41:02 Apple-TV AppleTV[85]: reachObserverForHost: NSConcreteNotification 0x4fa980 {name = CPNetworkObserverHostnameReachableNotification; userInfo = {\n CPNetworkObserverHostname = "Apple-TV";\n CPNetworkObserverReachable = 1;\n CPNetworkObserverReachableFlags = <02000100>;\n}}
Mar 19 15:46:01 Apple-TV /Applications/AppleTV.app/AppleTV[85]: T:[0x2ff66000] SWU: Failed to download version file for validity check. Error Domain=NSURLErrorDomain Code=-1004 "Could not connect to the server." UserInfo=0x4ccf30 {NSErrorFailingURLStringKey=http://mesu.apple.com/version_ATV4.xml, NSErrorFailingURLKey=http://mesu.apple.com/version_ATV4.xml, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not connect to the server., NSUnderlyingError=0x531a4b0 "Could not connect to the server."}

Any ideas/suggestions would be great...

Cheers
did you look at /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/AppleTV_2011-03-19-154057_Apple-TV.plist ?
Hey Davilla,

I did take a look yeah but I don't know enough to interpret it - blindly grepping around didn't help lol...

Here it is if it helps :-)

http://pastebin.com/5k9sUvAF

Cheers
suborbital Wrote:Hey Davilla,

I did take a look yeah but I don't know enough to interpret it - blindly grepping around didn't help lol...

Here it is if it helps :-)

http://pastebin.com/5k9sUvAF

Cheers

I'm no atv2 expert but it's saying thread 15 crashed, and that thread is doing graphics stuff (OpenGLES), not sure the significance of this particular crash... pretty low level and nothing I recall seeing in other logs around here. Curious to hear what davilla thinks about it.

While you wait, it's probably worth making sure your packages are the latest, just to rule out bugs that are already fixed:

# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
(if you get any errors, or held back updates try the next one)
# apt-get dist-upgrade
What skin are you using?

The Aeon themes crashed me out constantly whilst also being laggy.. now use PM3
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions so far, much appreciated :-)

To give you a bit of history & what I have done so far:

# Prior to the issue, I had a tethered jailbreak on 4.2.1
# About 2 to 3 days ago, my ATV2 started dropping out of XBMC every few mins.
# I jumped onto these forums, caught the info about updates and blocked them in /etc/hosts
# Same issue, figured Apple probably had more than a couple of DNS names for their update servers so jumped on my edge kit and blocked WAN access completely for the ATV2's MAC.
# Still same issue. I figured a reboot might help, but since it was a tethered JB I would need to do it again. Checked up on status and saw untethered JB is now available.
# Reflashed ATV2 back to stock 4.2.1 firmware
# Performed untethered JB using GreenPois0n RC6.1
# Installed XBMC (using Nito this time, first time with tethered JB I used awkwardtv repos & apt)
# Installed updatebegone using Nito
# Noticed updatebegone adds 127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com to /etc/hosts but doesn't CRLF the line so mesu.apple.com could still resolve. Added lines manually & tested to confirm that the 3 often mentioned hosts hit loopback
# Updated all packages with update & upgrade
# Tested - many times lol trying to find common factor, time seems to be only common factor (approx 4 mins before crash). Just sitting in UI, playing media etc all bomb out after 4 mins.

# Unplugged ATV2 and plugged in a WDTV. Sat there and cried at the loss of my ticks - now how will I know what I've watched!!! :-P hehe

Not much new info there guys, but figured I should share my prior steps so you know where I'm up to...

Thanks again guys :-)

P.S. For the skin q, just stock (I think it's called Confluence or something similar), can check exact name if needed.

Rich
Rich,
Looks like you were pretty thorough.

For me, I didn't even install the updatebegone.

I simply added three of the apple url to my host file and the update prompt never appeared again. So not sure what could be causing the issue in your case if it your pings are properly looping back to the loopback address.

Code:
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 mesu.apple.com" >> /etc/hosts
echo "127.0.0.1 appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite.net" >> /etc/hosts

I have to admit to being a little perplexed! I have been struggling to pair this up with any other issues on the forum without much success...

I'm not quite clear on whether this is an issue local to me or a bit more widespread (I have seen Davilla mention elsewhere that some people's ATV2s were still crashing after blocking the hosts in /etc/hosts but I may be taking that out of context)

I even got into testing some wild and wacky stuff lol... I had even tried popping traffic to mesu.apple.com over to one of my own webservers just to throw it a 404 instead of a conn_refused, makes no difference (not that I expected it to, stabbing in the dark here :-P)

Think maybe just start from scratch again maybe guys? Flash the little b*gger again and try again?

Cheers again all :-)

Rich
suborbital Wrote:Thanks :-)

I have to admit to being a little perplexed! I have been struggling to pair this up with any other issues on the forum without much success...

I'm not quite clear on whether this is an issue local to me or a bit more widespread (I have seen Davilla mention elsewhere that some people's ATV2s were still crashing after blocking the hosts in /etc/hosts but I may be taking that out of context)

I even got into testing some wild and wacky stuff lol... I had even tried popping traffic to mesu.apple.com over to one of my own webservers just to throw it a 404 instead of a conn_refused, makes no difference (not that I expected it to, stabbing in the dark here :-P)

Think maybe just start from scratch again maybe guys? Flash the little b*gger again and try again?

You've done your due diligence... can't think of anything I've had to do (or seen) that you haven't tried. I'd try it from scratch, it'll at least rule it out as a potential solution if it doesn't work but it should, I did an install today /w the process below (on a Mac) and didn't see the atv2 crash at all:

- restored 4.2.1 ipsw via iTunes (Option+click Restore)
- jb /w latest Greenpois0n (took a few tries, when it failed I restored in iTunes to make sure the failed jb didn't screw something up)
- injected software via greenpois0n menu (cydia packages)
- ran 'apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade'
- installed updatebegone via nitotv GUI
- installed XBMC via nitotv GUI (then fixed timezone file)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC still dying every few mins after update hosts blocked0