[Win7] Cache folder very large - Doesn't clean!
My XBMC Roaming Folder is now sitting at over a GB. This is pretty absurd.

This is because of all the Custom Fan art that I Browsed for using XBMC, even though I didn't end up picking and using some of it.

I'd like to clear the pictures and thumbnails that are not being used.

So let's say I add a Movie to my collection, it picks a default fan art and thumb nail, lets say I Browse for more Fan Art and more Thumbnails, and I change the thumb nail, and change the fan art.

It now keeps all the thumbnails and fan arts I browsed for, even though I only kept 1 of the new ones. What I'd like to do, is keep the thumb nail and fan art that I selected, but delete the caches of all the ones I didn't select.

This would mean, that next time I browse for the fanarts, it would again look for them all, not just show the cached ones.

I also thing this is a bug, because once you have browsed for fan art and thumbnails, even if new fan art or thumbnails are added to sites like thetvdb, XBMC won't show the new additions, it'll just keep loading our outdated cache.

Any help on how to delete the cache only, but keep the thumbnails that are currently in use??

Thanks
Nfusion, that's definitely a bug in my opinion and I thank you for nailing it. I've never understood why I couldn't access new thumbs and fanart. Thanks for investigating!
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
There's no real issue with it keeping them - it only keeps the preview thumbs.

There's work in progress to auto-clean the cache. For these ones in particular you can take a nosy through Textures.db and see which ones are out of date. A suitable scheme for working out which ones to delete would be useful.

As for new thumbs/fanart added to the site(s) after you scrape, you'll have to refresh information in order to get these to come up.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi,

Two Thing:

#1) I dont think suggesting a manual refresh per movie/episode/tv series is really a permanent solution, its more like a workaround to get the new fan art to show.

I shouldn't have to refresh the entire show (lose my Custom movie title, my selected fan art, my selected thumbnail, only for the POTENTIAL of finding a new fanart). Perhaps add a new feature that "Scan for new thumbnail/fanart" like the Refresh does? A lot of my movies have custom titles: ie: "Live Free or Die Hard" is actually: Die Hard 4: Live Free or Die Hard | Theatrical Edition

#2)
I did a little more research into the problem, and the problem is because of a somewhat corrupted database.

If I go to: C:\Users\XXXX\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata\Database\MyVideos34.db

That file is about 8MB, causing the manual feature to "Clean Library" take about a minute and a half per clean Sad.

So as a Test, i backedup my XBMC roaming folder, and removed ALL my video sources, it prompted me to remove the files associated with the source? I did yes. I cleaned my library again, it still took around a min to clean an EMPTY library.

So I deleted the 8mb file on its own, and added about 20 media files to the Library, then deleted 1 from the comp, and then "cleaned library", this cleaning was super fast (like when I first installed XBMC), it took about 2sec.

So my findings: I don't think the "CLEAN LIBRARY" feature is actually cleaning the database, it simply removes the FILE from your VIEW, but still leaves the junk data base entries in the DB file, which makes "cleaning library" slower and slower and slower, the longer you use the same install of XBMC.

Edit: So going back to my main post, is there a way to delete all the thumbnails, but keeping the ones that are currently in use as the movieposters + fan arts? So the next time I do Browse for thumb/fan art, it automatically attempts to find them all again, along with any potential new ones??

Thanks
If your in the habit of choosing your artwork then your probably better off using one of the media managers getting it right first then adding it to XBMC

If you export your library to separate files so your fanart is stored with your media then delete your fanart cache it will re-add them next time you browse your library don't try that with posters though as it wont work

Alternatively theres a reg hack for windows that lets you view tbn files as thumbnails then you can delete them manually I've done this in the past but if you have a lot it will probably send you nuts
1. I didn't say it was a permanent solution. I simply said it was a way to fix it.

2. The clean library function has pretty much nothing to do with this. All that does is removes information from the database for files that no longer exist. If it takes a minute and a half, then that's how long it takes to check for all files on your filesystem - if you have a whole bunch then that sounds reasonable. It only removes thumbs and fanart of those files it finds. It does not remove other images (such as the preview images obtained for the "Get Thumb/Fanart" buttons.

As I say, if you wish progress to be made on cleaning up the artwork left behind by the "Get Thumb/Fanart" functions, then take a look at Textures.db and suggest some good cleanup strategies.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

Quote:The clean library function has pretty much nothing to do with this. All that does is removes information from the database for files that no longer exist. If it takes a minute and a half, then that's how long it takes to check for all files on your filesystem

You misunderstood....

#1) Fresh install of xbmc: the database file is about 600KB (with nothing in database).

#2) Delete this file for testing, and relaunch xbmc, it recreates this 600KB file.

#3) Add a few files to library, lets say... 20? Now delete one, and ask to clean (so it drops it to 19), you'll notice the clean takes a split second.

#4) Now extrapolate, lets say you've added 1000+ files (i haven't, this is just for arguments purposes).

#5) now go back to your video sources and REMOVE the sources, itll prompt it to remove references from XBMC (choose yes).

After step 5, theoretically, your library is empty (even if thumbnails are there...), go into settings and clean library, and exit XBMC, and launch xbmc again.

#6) You will note that even though you have NO sources set, and no media showing in xbmc, and you just ran the clean command, the database file is MUCH MUCH MUCH larger than the default 600kb, and doing ANOTHER clean right now, on the empty database, still takes over a minute, and not the split second it should be taking on an empty database.

See the problem?
Have you opened the database file up and checked what it contains?

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:Have you opened the database file up and checked what it contains?
Cheers,
Jonathan

I already said it contained junk data in my previous post quoted below again.

nfusion2011 Wrote:So my findings: I don't think the "CLEAN LIBRARY" feature is actually cleaning the database, it simply removes the FILE from your VIEW, but still leaves the junk data base entries in the DB file, which makes "cleaning library" slower and slower and slower, the longer you use the same install of XBMC.

This was pretty obvious, since if I have nothing in the media library, the file size should be going down, not keep on increasing.

But here, i figured out how to look into the DB, as you can see from the pic, theres no media stored, but all the garbage data about the media is still there cause XBMC never cleaned it. These are only the first 4-5 fields I looked in, pretty much the ENTIRE thing is filled with junk like this.

I've already given you steps on how to reproduce the problem with relative ease, please do so, to see the full list of fields affected by the Non Cleaning.

Thanks
nfusion2011 Wrote:Edit: So going back to my main post, is there a way to delete all the thumbnails, but keeping the ones that are currently in use as the movieposters + fanarts? So the next time I do Browse for thumb/fanart, it automatically attempts to find them all again, along with any potential new ones??

Thanks

None of those things you consider to be db problems is going to change the answer you get to the question above I gave you some ways you can clean your cache the only other way is to export your library to separate files delete your cache and db then rebuild it from scratch it doesn't take long if you don't have "Download actor thumbs" enabled

If your db is a mess it might not be a bad idea anyway
Here is a workaround, whether we should be needing it is another thing:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96097
I knew I had seen that somewhere must be going blind Rolleyes:confused2:
So writerlinkmovie isn't cleaned, and some of the actors remain.

Also files + path table aren't cleaned (this is by design - no issues here).

Anything else?

Post a trac ticket with the details (feel free to attach your database should you wish).

Cheers,
Jonathan

jmarshall Wrote:So writerlinkmovie isn't cleaned, and some of the actors remain.

Also files + path table aren't cleaned (this is by design - no issues here).

Anything else?

Post a trac ticket with the details

Cheers,
Jonathan

I already told you guys how to reproduce the problem, its very straight forward.... my screenshot only posted a sample of 2-3 as an exmaple, there are many, manyother fields containing junk data still.

Also: "Files and path tables aren't cleaned by design" ??
Why not? What's the value in having these stay permanently??

Also, remember that i never had music files in library, who knows how much more bloated the database would have got if I had music also in here. I guess I'll hold off on adding music to my library for now if its struggling just to maintain the videos properly.

sho Wrote:Here is a workaround, whether we should be needing it is another thing:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96097
Thanks but doesn't work at all for me.

I get a ton of errors in the command prompt, and the guy that wrote the program/script assumes that people are familiar with the program to edit, as his instructions consist of: "edit to fit your needs"... wtf?

So this isn't user friendly at all. Sad
nfusion2011 Wrote:I get a ton of errors in the command prompt, and the guy that wrote the program/script assumes that people are familiar with the program to edit, as his instructions consist of: "edit to fit your needs"... wtf?

So this isn't user friendly at all. Sad
Survival of the fittest Smile Feel free to write a GUI for it.
XBMC.MyLibrary (add anything to the library)
ForTheLibrary (Argus TV & XBMC Library PVR Integration)
SageTV & XBMC PVR Integration

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win7] Cache folder very large - Doesn't clean!0