[Win7] Cache folder very large - Doesn't clean!
I still don't get why you don't export your library and then use a media manager then you could cut down loads of these problems, you could refresh movies without loosing custom titles and change thumbs fanart with ease or maybe use XWMM, I don't know anyone who customizes their library using xbmc if something goes wrong your lose it all

You might want to think about changing your tone with people who are trying to help you as its pretty off if you ask me
X using an external program should not be needed to download updated fanart or posters, come on... Smile
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first (usually it's enough to follow instructions in the second post).
I didn't say it was needed which it obviously isn't as hes doing it without but it would be easier and would solve a lot of his cache problems cause by choosing and changing artwork using the GUI, and to customize your library and not have a backup is stupid

If he exported his library then imported it his db and cache would be perfect

As its not going to change over night it makes sense to offer other solutions
I'll try the export/import later tomorrow.

Somewhere up above it was mentioned that it should go pretty smooth, unless I had "download actor thumbnails" enabled. I unfortunately do have it enabled.

X, you mention using a media manager. Sorry to say, that XBMC *IS* my media manager. I don't actually use XBMC's built in video player as I find it very awful to use with a mouse/keyboard setup (no seek bar, fast forwarding is clunky, videos are kind of choppy, sometimes subtitles don't properly load). In fact, the first time I tried XBMC, i uninstalled it within minutes cause of the playback problems. The only reason I am trying it again is because it came to my attention that I could set it to play videos using MPC-HC, which is what I do.

So really, other than "playing media" (which I choose not to use it for), and managing my library, it really has no other use to me, and you are suggesting I do not use it to manage my library either?
sho Wrote:Here is a workaround, whether we should be needing it is another thing:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96097

Thanks for the suggestion, I got it working with help from a few people in that thread.

Unfortunately, the program doesn't clean as much as I was expecting it to.

Ie: If I have a movie, and I've browsed for fanart, it'll still cache all the fanart for that movie, so if the movie has 20 different fan arts, it'll still keep them all instead of just the one that is being used.

So not fully what I was looking for for a solution.
I'm sorry, but unless you actually provide a simple set of steps to reproduce an issue starting from scratch, it's difficult to fix it.

Start with completely empty. Scan a few items in. Remove said items + clean the library. Prove that something is broken.

Your particular issue could be due to some other cleaning process that has screwed up in the past (eg there may have been a bug that is since fixed) or it could be due to a real issue that is easily reproducible.

The latter is easily fixed as it can be reproduced. The former is not as it relies on what is in your particular database and may not transfer to someone elses database. Let's take care of the easy bit first.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

nfusion2011 Wrote:I'll try the export/import later tomorrow.

Somewhere up above it was mentioned that it should go pretty smooth, unless I had "download actor thumbnails" enabled. I unfortunately do have it enabled.

X, you mention using a media manager. Sorry to say, that XBMC *IS* my media manager. I don't actually use XBMC's built in video player as I find it very awful to use with a mouse/keyboard setup (no seek bar, fast forwarding is clunky, videos are kind of choppy, sometimes subtitles don't properly load). In fact, the first time I tried XBMC, i uninstalled it within minutes cause of the playback problems. The only reason I am trying it again is because it came to my attention that I could set it to play videos using MPC-HC, which is what I do.

So really, other than "playing media" (which I choose not to use it for), and managing my library, it really has no other use to me, and you are suggesting I do not use it to manage my library either?

I believe XBMC gives you the choice to export actor thumbs so I should imagine it imports them when you scan everything back into your library even if download actor thumbs is off, however I have never tried so I'm uncertain in any case the only difference with it on is it takes longer to scan everything back in

There are media managers that let you choose all your artwork outside of XBMC this is stored locally with your media along with an nfo when you scan this content into XBMC it will use that instead of downloading it from the net save you doing it all from the GUI

Ember media manager is the one I use if you export your library to Separate files first then add your media to ember it will pick up all your artwork, any new Movies or TV you want to add you get the artwork and info first with ember then scan it into XBMC when your happy

If you don't want any artwork stored locally with your media then don't export your library to Separate files because thats exactly what it will do
Ok, so I have attempted to mix different workarounds to get it to work as I need, and I'm almost there, but now have a bigger problem.

#1) So, first thing I did, was backup my XBMC roaming folder which was about 850MB.

#2) Then ran bradvideo's script ( http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=96097&page=6 ), which brought my xbmc roaming folder down to 725MB. It's a start, but not enough.

#3) Cleaned my Library in XBMC

#4) I then went ahead and Exported my library to SINGLE FILES in a completely separate folder on a different drive. This came out to a 15MB XML file, and a bunch of jpg / tbn files.

BUG #1 DETECTED: If my episodes had custom episode thumbnails, these weren't exported, only the defaults were. So for example: for Family Guy, the Episodes like Blue Harvest which have their own dvd, I had a custom episode thumbnail (the dvd cover), this wasn't exported, only the default was exported.

#5) Exit XBMC

#6) Then I deleted my Video34.db file, and deleted the entire thumbnails folder

#7) Restarted XBMC and Imported my library from the 15MB xml file thats now sitting on my separate drive.

#8) Wait ... and then wait some more.

#9) It recreated my Video34.DB file, and started loading all the fanart, etc, back to the Thumbnails folder.

#10) My library was perfect (with the exception of losing custom episode thumbnails on export/import), my Roaming folder now was only 100MB rather than 850MB/750MB (after script)

#11) BUG #2: I went and right clicked a movie, and clicked "GET THUMB" hoping XBMC would now attempt to find new thumbs I can potentially use, it only found the 1 thumb. I no longer have access to any other thumbnails other than the one that was imported... Oddly enough, the GET FAN ART button works. I can change different fan arts, it finds them from the web. To add to the problem, the "REFRESH" button, on all my movies and TV shows is greyed out, and unselectable... (see pic below)

So i know that over 80% of the files in my thumbnails folder is junk that xbmc isnt cleaning, I can get the size down, but then I cant get new pics or refresh my movies... any way to fix this?
ok I made an error in my previous post thats what happens when I up late after a long day :o

I should have told you to export to Separate files not single then you get artwork and nfo stored with your media, you don't import this you just scan everything back into your library as you would starting from scratch and it will use the artwork and nfo thats with your media

So if you have a backup you might want to try again as you should get better results, I wouldn't run any scripts to clean up your cache because as far as I know it will only export the artwork you see currently in your library

Apologies for giving you the wrong info my mistake :o
Before I attempt that, any chance what the .nfo file will be called?

my structure already looks like this

C:\Movies\Movie1\moviename.mkv
C:\Movies\Movie1\moviename.nfo
C:\Movies\Movie2\moviename.mkv
C:\Movies\Movie2\moviename.nfo
C:\Movies\Movie3\moviename.mkv
C:\Movies\Movie3\moviename.nfo

But those existing nfo files have nothing to do with xbmc, they just contain info on video bitrates/audio bitrates/subtitles: yes/no, etc.

If the XBMC nfo file will have the same name and show up in that path for each folder, I don't think that'll work too well for me cause it'll overwrite my existing nfos.
jmarshall Wrote:I'm sorry, but unless you actually provide a simple set of steps to reproduce an issue starting from scratch, it's difficult to fix it.

Start with completely empty. Scan a few items in. Remove said items + clean the library. Prove that something is broken.

Cheers,
Jonathan

I already provided the steps, and already did exactly what you just proposed:

I started with a completely empty library, scanned a few items in, removed them and cleaned the library, and even removed all my sources!!

I then checked the video34.db file, and as per my screenshots, you can clearly see that there are no movies in my database, but there's a whole bunch of garbage in there that didn't get cleaned.

This is on a fresh install of xbmc 10.1 too.

You said some of that stay "by design" and is not a bug, i can't see why junk data for movies that no longer exist, would want to be kept "by design"...

If I have a blank movie library, my movie34.db file should be the default 600KB, not 8MB+ (which causes future cleans to take over 1.5minutes).

Let me know how else I can clarify and identify the bug.
nfusion2011 Wrote:Before I attempt that, any chance what the .nfo file will be called?

my structure already looks like this

C:\Movies\Movie1\moviename.mkv
C:\Movies\Movie1\moviename.nfo
C:\Movies\Movie2\moviename.mkv
C:\Movies\Movie2\moviename.nfo
C:\Movies\Movie3\moviename.mkv
C:\Movies\Movie3\moviename.nfo

But those existing nfo files have nothing to do with xbmc, they just contain info on video bitrates/audio bitrates/subtitles: yes/no, etc.

If the XBMC nfo file will have the same name and show up in that path for each folder, I don't think that'll work too well for me cause it'll overwrite my existing nfos.

Yeah if you want to keep your current nfo's don't do it as I believe it will overwrite them as thats the naming convention it uses
Start with a fresh database (eg a new profile).

Scan in + upload your xbmc.log and your db after scan, AND the filesystem you scanned. This could be dummy files for instance.

Remove the source. Tell it to clean stuff out. Upload your db again.

All to a trac ticket.

Essentially the rules are the same for every single bug you find. Get it reproducible in a simple set of steps - the fewer steps the better. Then reproduce those steps posting the evidence in a trac ticket.

That way others can see exactly how to reproduce a problem, they have everything they need to reproduce the problem, and also have the evidence that there is a problem.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.

jmarashall, I'm not sure if you are replying after reading the first line of my mesasges or the entire posts...

For the THIRD TIME: I have provided the steps to reproduce the bug, on page #1.

I will certainly not upload my file structure to you guys, what files I have is none of your business.

Again, the problem how to reproduce is on page one, WITH FREAKING SCREENSHOTS. I Don't know what else you want....

The fact that a database file is 6-8MB with NOTHING IN MY VIDEO LIBRARY should be of concern, no?
I cannot reproduce, so I cannot fix. Simple as that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Win7] Cache folder very large - Doesn't clean!0