XBMC streaming to remote pc?
There are so many many solutions to stream locally on your LAN. Not sure why the discussion when you can just do it and use XBMC to view as a client. (there are several UPnP server applications for WIN XP, IOS, WIN 7, LINUX, etc.)

Now streaming to a remote server 100 miles away. That is a challenge. Will the PLEX server and client do that? Since PLEX is a varient of XBMC?
Try the Orb: http://www.orb.com/
ktjensen Wrote:There are so many many solutions to stream locally on your LAN. Not sure why the discussion when you can just do it and use XBMC to view as a client. (there are several UPnP server applications for WIN XP, IOS, WIN 7, LINUX, etc.)

Now streaming to a remote server 100 miles away. That is a challenge. Will the PLEX server and client do that? Since PLEX is a varient of XBMC?

If that was to me, I think you didn't understand what I wanted to ask.
I want to run LiveTV on XBMC. And then, if it's possible, watch the stream from XBMC+LiveTV on other PC using for example VLC.

I have just finished completing the equipment for my first HTPC ever, and sooner or later I will find out. Smile
RXP91 Wrote:Try the Orb: http://www.orb.com/

Looks like LIVE-TV for ORB will work to echo the tuner box on your PC to your local TV on your WIFI. Via the ORB TV box. For $100.

Would like to see if XBMC running on Apple TV 2 would just be able to pick up the ORB server software stream, without the need to buy the ORB TV box.

This is still all in the same LAN. Not over the internet, which is what I am interested in.
Orb streams over the internet!
Is there a consensus on the best way to accomplish this? I'd trying to determine the best way to share my xbmc library (mostly music) over the internet. So I can access and listen via my phone, my work pc, or at a buddies house.

I've read people suggesting ftp, 4media (guess it never was released?), and other things, I just don't know which is better than the other. If you guys have had any success or have any input I'd love to hear it.
The solution I find to be the most practicle is to use an FTP server application, like FILEZILLA. Have this running now, and seems to be very robust. No problems with it loosing connections. Am paring its use with DYNDSN web site that gives me a free perminant web address (bypasses dynamic DHCP), even if the address on my computer changes at every reboot.
wdv0570 Wrote:From what i've gathered about XBMC, its useful in gathering several media type resources to a central location from which media can be accessed. Im looking for the opposite of this; distributing media from a central location to one or several remote clients.

I'd like to know if it's possible to stream from my XBMC setup at home to, lets say, my office PC (bandwidth not being an issue). Maybe with somesort of web-interface to select video's, pictures or music. Is there such a feature in XBMC?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a Mediacenter or FTP program that would offer this, along with XBMC's features like gathering cover-art, IMDB ratings and the other features that make XBMC appealing?

here is my opinion: since xbmc-live is essentially a live linux operating system you can turn on any of the servers and stream stuff thru a network (as long as you punch a hole thru your router/ firewall). what i sometimes do is turn on my xbmc machine so when i go to my friends house, i can mount the xbmc drive using sshfs and view vids on his laptop.
else you could turn on httpd and connect to the xbmc server using firefox (i would recomend against using ftp since it is antiquated and horribly insecure).
wdv0570 Wrote:[*]Does it allow XBMC to be used as a server instead of client, local or remote (http, vpn tunnel, etc)?

Just to be sure we're on the same page;
My intention is to have a workstation with a couple of disks (raid-5) humming away in my basement (running/acting as XBMC server) while having a small, quiet EEE-notebook with HDMI to my TV in the livingroom (acting as XBMC client)
i'm a little confused by this... why do you need xbmc on a server at all (you could very well run a headless server) ?
this is my setup:
- xbmc-live downstairs connected to my tv (acer revo) wifi
- fedora-14 ssh server upstairs (acer revo) ethernet
Somebody upthread said subsonic and I'm suprised it hasn't gotten more traffic. It does exactly this -web streaming from over the internet with variable transcoding depending on the web clients connection. Of course it mostly does this with music - i.e. it was designed to make your home mp3 collection available where ever in the world to your smart phone but it somewhat recently added video streaming.

I'd go check their forums.
http://activeobjects.no/subsonic/forum/

Or you could just buy a megaupload account and put whatever you wanted to stream remotely there - like every single person who posts content to services like icefilms or navi-x do. Which is probably the simplest solution of all.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-c...x-or-linux

A little dated but a good starting point.
XBMC contains a upnp server. So you could tunnel that over SSH/VPN and use a upnp client to play the files. You'll not be having the XBMC experience though. The only way you can have that is -surprise surpise- with XBMC.

So rather than to use upnp I would suggest to install XBMC in every location, install mysqld on your server and use that as a central database. You'll of course also have to mount your shares locally, which can be done over FTP(S)/SFTP/DAV/Samba/http/whatever, optionally tunneled over SSH or VPN again.

You can still use the built-in upnp server as a fallback if you can't install XBMC, e.g. on your mobile phone or something.
jimmyyzz Wrote:Is there a consensus on the best way to accomplish this? I'd trying to determine the best way to share my xbmc library (mostly music) over the internet. So I can access and listen via my phone, my work pc, or at a buddies house.

I've read people suggesting ftp, 4media (guess it never was released?), and other things, I just don't know which is better than the other. If you guys have had any success or have any input I'd love to hear it.

I haven't finished reading the whole thread yet, but...

If it's only/mostly music you are interested in, there is always Ampache.
It's a PHP application with MySQL backend, that. so it runs on most systems (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.). There are apps for most phone devices, even though they are not always perfect.

Atm, I'm running it on my Debian server, listening to music from my Android phone with the App Lullaby or Amdrpoid, for iPhone there is iAmpache, and something else for Blackberry.
You can listen through Web interface too, and there are some apps, for desktop to.

Lullaby is availible on the Market up to version 2.2 of Android, otherwise need to compile and install it manually.
iAmpache does not support streaming of 3g atm because of previsous restrictions from Apple. No one has cared to correct this since that restriction was lifted.

Unfortunately it does not have the functionallity for video, which I am looking for my self too.

/Aliex
Pogoplug (www.pogoplug.com) has been the best (at least the easiest) solution I've been able to find to crack this nut.

I can't seem to fast forward when I'm streaming locally or remotely, but I am able to access and stream all my content very easily through the pogoplug website.

You just install the client on your local machine and share whatever directories you want.
I started using plex.

I have the server installed on my HTPC, which grabs the media from my main fileserver.

I have clients on both my laptops, my tablet, and my smartphone.

I have access to all my tv shows and movies in highly stylized format that is easily just as good as xbmc. It's a cinch to setup - I use dyndns, but you don't even need that anymore with their "myplex" feature.

I stream my media on the go all over the place, even on 3g connections while driving, with no issues. I don't see why anyone would look to any other solution.
(2012-06-02, 08:04)vinistois Wrote: I started using plex.

I have the server installed on my HTPC, which grabs the media from my main fileserver.

I have clients on both my laptops, my tablet, and my smartphone.

I have access to all my tv shows and movies in highly stylized format that is easily just as good as xbmc. It's a cinch to setup - I use dyndns, but you don't even need that anymore with their "myplex" feature.

I stream my media on the go all over the place, even on 3g connections while driving, with no issues. I don't see why anyone would look to any other solution.

I've used this solution as well, but I prefer XBMC over Plex. I would love to see an XBMC equivalent to Plex Server so that I can access all of the media that I have in XBMC remotely (trascoded) via 3G.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC streaming to remote pc?0