[ATV1][XBMC-Live] Can't connect to SMB share
I'm running Sam Nazarko's image with Crystal HD card on an Apple TV 1 in my living room. In the bedroom, I have an ATV2 running XBMC that has no problems accessing network shares hosted on a Windows 7 machine on a wired network; the hosting machine has all access controls (that I can find) disabled on the drive I want to share.

When trying to add an smb share location via XBMC browsing on the ATV1, I get to the "WORKGROUP" page, it tries to connect, but then gives a "connection timed out" error. I've also tried direct entry of the (static) IP of the Win 7 machine with the same result: the "Working" message with the swirly circle, then "connection timed out." The ATV1 has no problems accessing the internet; I can scrape data for movies stored on the internal disk, ssh into the machine from the Win7 machine, etc.

There are a number of older posts that indicate removal of Windows Live Sign-in Assistant as a fix, but it doesn't appear that my machine (fresh Win 7 install) has that installed. In addition, XBMC running on my ATV2 has no problems accessing the same share location.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris
Chris, I am having the same issue. I will let you know if I find a solution.

Cheers

Canukhd
Did you guys find a solution to this one? I just installed his latest build and I have exactly the same problem.
Use IP based shares, don't browse SMB, it's slow and inefficient probing method
I had a similar problem on the xbmc live setup I just finished, the problem was that 'smbfs' and something else were not installed (sorry but I'm not at home so I can't check)
a google search done properly will most likely lead back to a number of threads regarding this matter.
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation
Updating this thread because it was the top Google search result for Crystal HD and "connection timed out."

I found other threads that warned about the Windows Live Sign In Assistant, but since that wasn't something I'd ever heard of and it wasn't in the my program list, I didn't think that was my problem.

But surprise... turns out that program is included as part of "Windows Live Essentials", which is something I had on my system. I think it came through Windows update at some point.

Anyway, in case this can save the next guy a couple hours... check for Windows Live Essentials. Although the uninstall wizard claimed the only component I had installed was Messenger, my problem went away as soon I removed it.
I have the same problem, but only with Crystalubuntu.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ATV1][XBMC-Live] Can't connect to SMB share0