[AppleTV2] Using HDHomeRun
Curious if anyone has gotten this to work. I did some searching around but i didn't seem to find anyone that had gotten any Live TV streaming with HDHomeRun or SlingBox on the Apple Tv 2.
I've tested live TV streaming with TVHeadend, I think much of what I found would apply to HDHomeRun...

Streaming SD channels works just fine.
Streaming HD channels results in chopping and skipping, I think the bitrate in the HD stream is just far too much for the ATV2 to handle.

Let me fire it up and get some actual bitrate numbers.
I think it's not doing Part 10/AVC for mpeg4 encoding, instead Part 2.
So not H264/X264 MPEG4, but Xvid/Divx/etc MPEG4 which is handled by the software decoder, so can't do HD resolutions, the HDHomerun anyways.

But tvheadend works pretty good? Can you record shows easily?
keith Wrote:I think it's not doing Part 10/AVC for mpeg4 encoding, instead Part 2.
So not H264/X264 MPEG4, but Xvid/Divx/etc MPEG4 which is handled by the software decoder, so can't do HD resolutions, the HDHomerun anyways.

But tvheadend works pretty good? Can you record shows easily?

What you'll actually find is it is simply streaming the actual streams it receives via the TV stations transmitter, usually they stream in a TS container and either h264 or MPEG2 but in HD's case usually in silly high bitrates like 20+mbps.

As far as i know devices like the HDHomRun don't do any onboard transcoding.
bircoe Wrote:What you'll actually find is it is simply streaming the actual streams it receives via the TV stations transmitter, usually they stream in a TS container and either h264 or MPEG2 but in HD's case usually in silly high bitrates like 20+mbps.

As far as i know devices like the HDHomRun don't do any onboard transcoding.

Oh, you're totally right, I was confused. it's the HD bitrate MPEG2 that it's probably having issues with. HDHomerun just pulls down the 'transport stream'.

I would think if it's h264 it would work with the ATV2 decoder, but someone might know for sure.
Your right, I've just tested all the channels and the tight arse local broadcasters (Australia so were DVB-T) all broadcast in mpeg2, even the HD stuff... all the SD streams are mpeg2 video with either mpeg2 or ac3 audio.

SD plays fine
HD skips and drops frames like a mad man (500+ dropped frames in a minute or two)

If I had some h264 HD channels to test... I'd test em, maybe I should move to Iran, according to wiki they get h264 for SD and HD!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Using HDHomeRun0