Recommend a NAS for XBMC
+1 for unraid
Sorry to bump this thread but it seems to have a lot of good information.

Would an old Athlon 1800+ XP 1.5ghz proc be enough to host a system with unRaid?

I cant seem to find my old P4 system, may have thrown it out sadly when moving...but i remembered when i upgraded to that i gave my parents my old Athlon 1800, and they may just have it laying around somewhere...

Its a pretty old ass processor(10 years) so i wasnt sure if that was enough power...
FuzzeWuzze Wrote:Sorry to bump this thread but it seems to have a lot of good information.

Would an old Athlon 1800+ XP 1.5ghz proc be enough to host a system with unRaid?

I cant seem to find my old P4 system, may have thrown it out sadly when moving...but i remembered when i upgraded to that i gave my parents my old Athlon 1800, and they may just have it laying around somewhere...

Its a pretty old ass processor(10 years) so i wasnt sure if that was enough power...

It should be fine, unRaid doesn't need much CPU power, most of the time its just going to be idling waiting for disk IO operations. I you want to start running additional plugins or using the unRaid machine as a transcoding server then you have to start worrying about CPU performance.
tabish121 Wrote:It should be fine, unRaid doesn't need much CPU power, most of the time its just going to be idling waiting for disk IO operations. I you want to start running additional plugins or using the unRaid machine as a transcoding server then you have to start worrying about CPU performance.

Running things like Sabnzbd etc should be no problems though right?

The more i think about I am not sure, the system will be so old that it wont have SATA ports. And it wont even have PCIE slots...

Would running PCI Sata card's limit the performance in a visible way when it comes to streaming 1080p/BRay to a HTPC?
Can you even run SAB and all the other goodies on unRAID?
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:Can you even run SAB and all the other goodies on unRAID?

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.ph...ed_servers
+1 for unRAID!
FuzzeWuzze Wrote:Running things like Sabnzbd etc should be no problems though right?

The more i think about I am not sure, the system will be so old that it wont have SATA ports. And it wont even have PCIE slots...

Would running PCI Sata card's limit the performance in a visible way when it comes to streaming 1080p/BRay to a HTPC?

Until 6 months ago, I was running Sabnzbd/Sickbeard/Couchpotato on a P4 1.8Ghz with 1024mb ram. I had to upgrade from 512mb because sabnzbd would occassionaly crash when unpacking files of 20+GB because of insufficient free memory. So to be sure, don't run on less than 1gb of ram.

Streaming is not at all impacted by PCI speed, even when you're downloading at the same time.
Satisfied with WD MyBookLive 1TB. Works the way I want and expect it.
I know this is a little off topic, but can anyone recommend a PC case that can house several (i.e. 5 or more) hard drives? I want to build an NAS on the cheap want a good enclose for lots of hard drives, so older model of cases are welcome. Thanks.
Fractal Designs Array R2. I just built one up, great case, I highly recommend it.
Cheers (not cheap though!!).
If you want a good steady nas with litle maintance Qnap is the best choise in my opinion of the pre-built one's. Building one of your own hardware will also work but i noticed i got stuck behin an command line most of the times when i tried to do changes or install software. The good thing you get when you buy A pre-built system is easy to install software and hassle free upgrades.

Dont get me wrong here. For some bulding your own nas with the hardware you want is the only option. I also started with that until i settle down and wanted something easy administrated and that is backed by a community. I ended up trying both qnap and synology. After some months of testing qnap is now my favorite and the real rolls royce of nases.

Cheers
---------------------------------------------------
Intel NUC Haswell D34010WYK | ATV2 | Logitech Harmony One | Onkyo TX-NR808 Receiver | QNAP 809 | APC Back-UPS RS 550
I can tell you that my NAS was based on repurposing unused hardware lying around. Based on a (somewhat) old Aerocool Baydream case, other spare parts and FreeNAS.

The result is a bit bulky - and so is the case - but it works for my needs. It's hidden anyways.

h.udo
f**k..... started editing without sudo | M.K.

Always read the online manual (wiki), FAQ (wiki) and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Team Kodi members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
Please read the pages on troubleshooting (wiki) and bug reporting (wiki) before reporting issues.
I recently built an unraid server. I highly recommend their software. It was easy to get it up and running, and still had all of the options that I needed for more advanced configuration. Sabnzbd, couchpotato, and sickbeard are all running on the server. Installing them was a piece of cake, just download the archives, extract, run, and configure from the web interfaces.

Syres4me Wrote:I know this is a little off topic, but can anyone recommend a PC case that can house several (i.e. 5 or more) hard drives? I want to build an NAS on the cheap want a good enclose for lots of hard drives, so older model of cases are welcome. Thanks.

I ended up going with this case. The case comes with a rack that can hold 4 drives. You can mount it anywhere from the bottom to the top of the case behind the drive bays. I only have 4 at the moment, but the moment I need more I'm getting one of these. That should allow you to stick 5 drives in just about any mid-tower case.
HTPC 1 - Zotac ZBOX ID80U | 4GB RAM | 64GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
HTPC 2 - Zotac ZBOX ID41U | 4GB RAM | 60GB SSD | Openelec | Confluence
Server - unRAID Server | 3 x 2TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD Black HDD (Cache) | Sabnzbd | CouchPotato | Sickbeard

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Recommend a NAS for XBMC0