VC1 / MPEG 2 hardware acceleration
Hi All,

Is it only possible get H264 acceleration in OSX ?, Is VC1/MPEG2 something that is being worked on or improved further ?, Or this is somewhat limited by how OSX (Leopard) is built for now ?

All of my movie files are ripped with Makemkv from Blu-ray and played on a 2010 Mac mini. Unfortunately, without acceleration for VC1/MPEG2 movies, some of the more higher bitrate scenes push the CPU to around 120%, and cause quite some jittery playback in spots. The opening panning scene in The Lord Of The Rings - The Two Towers, is an example of this.

XBMC in windows seems to accelerate all the formats perfectly.

thanks!
MPEG2 might be possible in the future when VideoToolBox handling appears under XBMC for OSX (currently in XBMC for iOS). As for VC1, that depends on Apple providing that capability.
Thanks for the reply. It's such a shame that the studio's are still pumping out blu-ray titles in VC1/MPEG2. But then again, apple isn't the best when it comes to thinking about these things..
I recenty activated the Crystal HD card in the older mac mini. CPU usage decreased a lot. But playing VC1 files still stottering within XBMC, but playing in VLC it plays fluently. So my opinion is that video code 's within XBMC can be improved a lot, the machine is capable of playing those files!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VC1 / MPEG 2 hardware acceleration0