OpenELEC: a very small complete linux XBMC solution
Thanks for the info, I've tried to edit the xorg.conf but its just too locked down for me and that makes it frustrating. All I want to do is edit out the # by the correct colour scheme but it won't let me overwrite the original file.

I've managed to edit advanced settings in sftp though.
KingsCross Wrote:Thanks for the info, I've tried to edit the xorg.conf but its just too locked down for me and that makes it frustrating. All I want to do is edit out the # by the correct colour scheme but it won't let me overwrite the original file.

Just place your customized xorg.config in the Configfiles folder.
Thanks, setting the colour scheme to limited has helped improve the picture. I'll be using openelec from now on as its the best version of xbmc I've found so far, great work guys. Really like the quick bootup/shutdown speed too.
OpenELEC 1.0 Final Released:

http://www.openelec.tv/component/k2/item...1-released
Cool, is there a way to update or does it require a fresh install?
KingsCross Wrote:Cool, is there a way to update or does it require a fresh install?

Thats very easy: http://openelec.tv/find-help/documentati...e-openelec
Which thread should I be asking questions in about openELEC? There are 2 different ones. This one and [ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC

Just recently posted some questions in the other, rather than duplicate, here is a link to post
Tight_wad Wrote:Which thread should I be asking questions in about openELEC? There are 2 different ones. This one and [ANN] OpenELEC.tv - very small and fast booting Embedded Linux Distribution with XBMC

Just recently posted some questions in the other, rather than duplicate, here is a link to post #972

Neither. Questions should be posted on the OpenELEC forums.
magao Wrote:Neither. Questions should be posted on the OpenELEC forums.

WOW! That would make both of these threads a useless waste of time then? Fun seemed like a lot of good questions and answers on them.
No - these threads let people know about new releases of OpenELEC and other status updates.

That people have asked questions here and been answered is fortunate for them, but this is not the right place to do so.
NO problem, you won't have to tell again. I have my answers already. And I certainly can take frick'n hint when I am not welcome!

Oh, then its kind stupid to have this thread located in

XBMC Community Forum > Help and Support > XBMC General Help and Support > XBMC for Linux and XBMC Live Specific Support

Or am I have a little trouble with the definition of "help" and "support"?
Does OpenELEC come with it's own OS like XBMC Live or do you need an OS to install it? Can you install advanced launcher for roms on it?
Tight_wad Wrote:NO problem, you won't have to tell again. I have my answers already. And I certainly can take frick'n hint when I am not welcome!

Oh, then its kind stupid to have this thread located in

XBMC Community Forum > Help and Support > XBMC General Help and Support > XBMC for Linux and XBMC Live Specific Support

Or am I have a little trouble with the definition of "help" and "support"?

There no need to be angry(or so i assume).

You are asking nicely and were answered nicely. OpenELEC have its own dedicated forum for question and its best to use that for questioning. But that doesnt mean you cant ask in either thread in xbmc forum. i believe magao doesnt give you any *hint* that you can "frick'n take".

by the way, congrats on the 1.0 openelec release.
magao Wrote:No - these threads let people know about new releases of OpenELEC and other status updates.

That people have asked questions here and been answered is fortunate for them, but this is not the right place to do so.

Is this forum banning OpenElec because maybe it's better than XBMC LiveHuh
GSP-UFC Wrote:Does OpenELEC come with it's own OS like XBMC Live or do you need an OS to install it? Can you install advanced launcher for roms on it?

OpenELEC is meant to be an appliance. It comes with its own OS and the I think advanced launcher (I don't use it - you'd be better off asking on the OpeneELEC forums). Unlike XBMC Live, you can't upgrade the OS or components independently (no apt-get upgrade - the OS and most of the filesystem is read-only).

athloni Wrote:Is this forum banning OpenElec because maybe it's better than XBMC LiveHuh

Ha ha ha. Nothing's being banned. The two distributions serve very similar purposes, but some of the aims are different.

OpenELEC aims to be a complete appliance which works out-of-the-box for nearly everyone. The individual components of the OS and base software can't be messed with (OK - there are ways to do so, but it's pretty advanced ...). Instead when you want to upgrade you completely replace the KERNEL and SYSTEM (which does not mess with user data except where e.g. updating from Dharma to Eden changes the library format). For the majority of people, there is never a need to go to the command line on OpenELEC - the config files, user data, etc are published as samba shares.

XBMC Live (and XBMCFreak) are more aimed at someone who wants an appliance, but is familiar with Linux and the command line. They tend to require more tweaking to get working "properly" (e.g. updating video drivers, etc) although for many (even most) people they will work OOTB.

I've used all 3, and find that OpenELEC serves my HTPC needs best. Note that I'm just a user, although I've submitted several bug reports and helped resolve them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC: a very small complete linux XBMC solution3