OpenELEC: a very small complete linux XBMC solution
The thread... no... but Openelec is awesome!

Probably about time it had its own section..? would make searching easier to boot!
Geeba Wrote:Probably about time it had its own section..? would make searching easier to boot!

Agreed, we can haz fights in there Laugh
bossanova808 Wrote:I vaguely recall reading Openelec was going to become XBMC Appliance and 'official' - let's hope so...not that it matters as long as it is available and as awesomely good as it is now.

sraue is a team member and I think most of us consider it being an official distribution for xbmc.

And for everyone in general, there is a difference between openelec and xbmc live and they serve different purposes.

live is meant to be possible to customize, i.e. its an official community playground essentially. This is why its based on ubuntu which already has lots of documentation about how to customize etc.

openelec is meant to be installed and just work, not really tweak it but just work for what its intended for. This is why it could be renamed XBMC Appliance, as with any appliance its just used not altered.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
topfs2 Wrote:openelec is meant to be installed and just work, not really tweak it but just work for what its intended for. This is why it could be renamed XBMC Appliance, as with any appliance its just used not altered.

What about: "XBMC Embedded"?
topfs2 Wrote:sraue is a team member and I think most of us consider it being an official distribution for xbmc.

And for everyone in general, there is a difference between openelec and xbmc live and they serve different purposes.

Yep Openelec ... works.Laugh

Just kiddin felas! Wink
athloni Wrote:What about: "XBMC Embedded"?

Was a name which came up during discussion, we think appliance is better sounding though and more true to what it is. It works on non-embedded devices as well (heck thats all you guys use it for Smile ).

Its still very unsure how this all will work out, I'm guessing it might be that we fork stable versions of OpenELEC.tv and use that as the XBMC Appliance and let OpenELEC.tv be upstream and the development version. Its still during sketching and still more discussion than act Smile We do love what sraue have done (which is why he got invited) and he has helped the community lots and lots with cross compilation problems etc, we are proud he decided to join Smile
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
This looks interesting for a guy like me, who now has a major problem, while running XBMC Live off a USB drive. I just ge got an HP MCE remote, but have no idea how to get it working in XBMC live.... (Drivers??)

Using OpenELEC, would my remote work?
My HP MCE remote worked out the box with openelec.
Thanks sir! Converted! Smile

What happens when XBMC release updated? Would my openELEC box update too?
Cralis Wrote:Thanks sir! Converted! Smile

What happens when XBMC release updated? Would my openELEC box update too?

Yes, well not at the same date of release, but when the next update for OpenELEC is available and tested. Updates for OpenELEC follow up very regularly so you won't miss anything for long. Wink
athloni Wrote:If you choose to close this thread, then please move the other thread to the Linux sub-forum, or even better: make a new sticky one.

I also think that moving the other to the Linux sub-forum is a good idea at this point. The other thread is living in nowhere land.

philip
therionate Wrote:Yes, well not at the same date of release, but when the next update for OpenELEC is available and tested. Updates for OpenELEC follow up very regularly so you won't miss anything for long. Wink

Also it has an auto-update feature. Works great!
cydine Wrote:My HP MCE remote worked out the box with openelec.

Is there something I need to do? All installed.. IR connected... when I press buttons, the IR flashes red, but .. nothing happens on the screen... Is there something I need to do/set on the remote or within XBMC (OpenElec)?
As good as you all make it sound I think I will have to try OpenElec when I get home tonight. One question though. I know it's intended to be run like an appliance, but how hard is it to install other things to run in the background?

Here's what I want to do. Run a torrent client, flexget and a subsonic server. Is that possible? Would that be difficult to do? Does it even make sense to use OpenElec for this?
@flammenwurfer - not so much, I'd use Live in this scenario. Openelec is perfect for making an XBMC player, but not so much for running a general machine - bung that other stuff on your server...
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC: a very small complete linux XBMC solution3