OpenELEC: a very small complete linux XBMC solution
Is it possible to run nightly XBMC builds on OpenELEC?
Hi,

athloni Wrote:Is it possible to run nightly XBMC builds on OpenELEC?

this time not... i am working hard for our first (stable) release. its planned to provide "nightly builds" with nightly xbmc builds after this release. this time i dont have the time to do this. if anyone is interested to maintain (create the packages, testing, building the images) officially devel builds based on pre-eden then i will be happy to support them.

thanks

Stephan
greetings, Stephan

Well, Openelec works so well that I want to use it on my htpc. I may just have to setup a dedicated fileserver to download new stuff, serve it to the htpc and run subsonic.

I have a netbook that would work nicely for that. Since I got a tablet the netbook doesn't really get used anymore anyways. Smile
Great and faaaaast version of XBMC, well done to all involved.

However, it has problems with python apps/scripts like ListenLIveEU, Grooveshark etc. Anyone found a workaround?
At the moment the Workaround is to not use OpenELEC.
silvine Wrote:Great and faaaaast version of XBMC, well done to all involved.

However, it has problems with python apps/scripts like ListenLIveEU, Grooveshark etc. Anyone found a workaround?

Those add-ons are probably written in Python 2.4 or requiring modifications in the read-only part of OpenELEC, which runs Python 2.6.
RC 7 is released! Many thanks to all users for testing and contributing.

Where is RC6?

RC6 was not released officially. It was released for our new Partner Xtreamer to produce the SSD's with preinstalled OpenELEC.

Highlights:

Added support for many new remotes like:
Zydracon
Fintek
Cypress
Topseed
Ati X10 and compatible
ITE
more Nuvoton based remote receivers
DELL mceusb receivers
XBOX 360 Remote via mceusb receivers
Added support for MDM166A and IMONLCD lcd devices
Added support for many new DVB devices.
Added support for reiserfs, xfs and jfs filesystems.
Added support for XVBA via VAAPI
Added fglrx graphic driver
Added SFTP Server support
Added AFP mount support via netmount.conf
Added support for 'autostart.sh' script
Developers can create a (shell) script in '/storage/.config' called 'autostart.sh'. The script is run on boot and allows for testing of OpenELEC commands.
This is not a supported user feature and is intended for developers only to test boot commands. This feature may/will be deprecated as the project moves on in favour of custom Addons to cover any required autostart features.
Added Service Addon support, backported from XBMC-Eden
Service addons are a special form of XBMC program addon which will be started on boot automatically (when XBMC starts). This makes it possible to run services like SABnzbd & Co.,Transmission and TVheadend in background.
Moved some tools and programs like nano, evtest, Transmission, TVHeadend to Addons
Added support for binary Addons
When XBMC Addons are not coded in Python they are called Binary Addons. A limitation of Binary Addons is that they are OpenELEC architecture specific and cannot be easily moved around like normal Addons.
The implication of this is that if you change OpenELEC architectures i.e. from ION 32 to ION 64 you MUST follow a strict procedure to remove/reinstall Addons completely via SSH.

New Projects:

Fusion
thats a own image for systems based on AMD's Fusion (Bobcat and Llano) platform. This image works for most Users, but its still not stable enough like our other builds. XVBA support is work in process and will be improved over the timewithin our releases.
Ultra
thats a own image presetup for Xtreamer Ultra.

Known issues and limitations

GPU Temperature is not shown in XBMC on some nvidia GPU hardware (bug in driver)
Component Video does not work in the Apple TV image
If you use the installer to install on a new drive, be sure there is at least one partition, otherwise the drive will be not detected
If you find more issues let us know in the forum (Bug Reports)
Daily Eden builds:

http://sources.openelec.tv/tmp/image/openelec-eden/
I like openelec but it appears to use outdated gfx drivers because the image quality is noticeably inferior to the xbmclive ubuntu build. Plus its quite frustrating that you can't edit the advancedsettings file easily. It has better audio support though, I don't know why xbmc live is so temperamental with the audio.

If you could get the customisation of xbmclive and the quickness and audio support of openelec combined, you'd have the perfect xbmc build.
What's better about the image quality with ubuntu? I can believe it but I am curious about it - it might be a colour range type issue (which may be solveable with the old drivers using different settings) - or is it something like sharpness/blocking etc? I.e. where do you notice it and in what types of files?
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
the question is what for driver releases your "xbmclive ubuntu" setup uses? and why you cant access advancedsettings.xml easy?
greetings, Stephan

bossanova808 Wrote:What's better about the image quality with ubuntu? I can believe it but I am curious about it - it might be a colour range type issue (which may be solveable with the old drivers using different settings) - or is it something like sharpness/blocking etc? I.e. where do you notice it and in what types of files?

Its noticeable as soon as you boot into the front menu. XBMC live has a more vivid colour range and is generally sharper and natural while openelec looks soft like the colour and contrast has been turned down. I use both from usb and I notice it as soon as I switch back between one and the other.
sraue Wrote:the question is what for driver releases your "xbmclive ubuntu" setup uses? and why you cant access advancedsettings.xml easy?
I'm not sure which driver, its the latest live build. I'm using an Revo3700 system.

I can access advancedsettings.xml in xbmc live but I can't in openelec because as far as I'm aware it doesn't allow sftp access nor can you use ctrl+alt+f1.
ssh -l root <openelec machine>
Password: openelec
KingsCross Wrote:Its noticeable as soon as you boot into the front menu. XBMC live has a more vivid colour range and is generally sharper and natural while openelec looks soft like the colour and contrast has been turned down. I use both from usb and I notice it as soon as I switch back between one and the other.

I would bet that's a colour range issue myself. I'd say Openelecis using full range (0 to 255) and ubuntu limited range (16 - 235 I think) - and either you don't like the flatter presentation of full range, or your TV is expecting the other. Something like that anyway - likely you can make them match fairly easily with a xorg.conf tweak.

Also - advancedsettings.xml is easy to edit by ssh-ing into the box and looking in .xbmc/uerdata (I use WinSCP).
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OpenELEC: a very small complete linux XBMC solution3