10.1 bug fix disaster
I usually avoid updates unless I have a specific problem that needs addresses and was running a early version of 9 for some time. Saw the claim that the 10.1 bug fix addressed the SMB share problem of intermittent shares not be found and decided to upgrade. Wow, talk about regrets.

Not only is the SMB shares problem not fixed, it's magnitudes worse. Where I used to occasionally boot up and not be able to find a share now it's every single time and it takes 3 to 5 reboots to be to see a share that I want to access. I've tried deleting and recreating all the sources but no help.

In addition to that problem getting worse the changes to the was the library organizes is mind boggling bad.

First there's an added tab at the main menu the displays what the software thinks are content sorted according to type, movies, TV Shows etc, is but it's a convoluted mess of nothing essentially. To get to the actual shares you created you have to select file and go down one level (the addition of another layer of complexity in use that has caused my wife and teenage daughter to simply give up and refuse to use the system(s) any more) and then the problems just get worse.

Despite whatever names an audio or video file has the library has decided for about 1/3 of them a different name is more appropriate to display; for instance a video by the named "All About Steve.mkv" is displayed by XBMC as All Star Baseball 2000, a folder named Holiday Videos containing various holiday videos in different formats is displayed as Housewives Holiday Adventures 1969. I've tried cleaning the database to no avail.

If you have a functioning 9.x version of XBMC I would strongly recommend against "upgrading" to the 10.1 as it's a complete and utter mess.
nothing of what you mention changed between 9.11 and 10.x afaik. it sounds like you grabbed a build from master, which is under heavy development.
My attempts to resolve this seem to say otherwise.

I decided to roll back to the last stable build using the PPAs listed in this forum (10.0 it appears) and here's what happened.

After removing the 10.1 version, rebooting and reinstalling 10.0 I found the that additional tab in the video menu displaying what appears to be content by type, but is essentially meaningless gibberish, is still there but now when I select files and look at the shares, the ones I could find, the files and folders were now displaying with the proper names. Since some of the shares weren't displaying I tried to rebooted at which point I noticed the one thing that was improved in 10.1, the ability to power off the HTPC from within XBMC which was working for the first time ever, was now gone.

I made no changes what so ever to settings, or configuration files etc, just uninstalled 10.1 and reinstalled 10.0 and there was clearly a significant change in the way the library viewed and displayed files and folders just between those two versions.

Unfortunately though I can't mess with this any more since as I said only some of my shares were displaying so I did another reboot and on this second one I can I can no longer access my Linux desktop due to video configuration problem so another complete rebuild looks to be in store. Will definitely be going back to the las stable version of 9 that I have running on my second system.

Not sure why removing a software package and installing an older version using the synaptic package manager would blast my Linux video configuration but there it is.
Well I did a bit more work on this today and discovered something interesting.

Having a mangled HTPC that I could no longer access I started from scratch:

1: clean install of Ubuntu 10.4 64bit
2: install of XBMC using the PPAs obtained following these links in the forum just as I did before.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...light=ppas
https://launchpad.net/~team-xbmc/+archive/ppa

3: Added my shares and everything looks fine, version 10.1 seems to be
installed.
4. Go to Systems -> Skins -> Home Window Options and turn off "Hide - TV Shows (Videos - Library)" and "Hide - Movies (Videos - Library)" and blamo everything goes to hell again. A extra tab to get to my shares, Files I don't recognize, weird file and folder names, files in folders not appearing etc

Only this time the fix is obvious, turn back on the hide video and TV shows buttons on the home screen options and turn off library mode in the auto hide menu on the left of the home menu and everything is back to normal.

So I then ask my self; self, why didn't you just do that before?

So just for kicks and giggles I take the second HTPC I have running 9.11 and do the upgrade as I did before using the same links as above and discover why.

When the upgrade was done for some reason, just as the first time, the Movies and TV Shows tab are on the home screen by default without me turning them on and while I can turn those off, there is no option anywhere that I can find to turn off library mode and I'm stuck with all the extra displays, unrecognizable files names and folders etc.

Kicked that one to the curb and installed from scratch again and everything is back to normal.

Don't know why or how, but that's what happened, twice when upgrading from 9.11 to 10.1
Now don't get me wrong, but being a user since 2008 and not reading manual or forums - you are to blame.

Problem 1 - all about library / files view
Problem 2 - you most probably enabled unstable builds some time ago and forgot about it, reinstalling turned those off as that's default
My skins:

Amber
Quartz

I installed xbmc using the xci script on ubuntu. Everything was working fine with SMB except I occasionally had to reboot to get the shares visible. This was working fine for about 1 month until I updated to 10.1. Since the update I havent been able to see my Workgroup at all. I havent looked too much into it as I'm trying to switch to nfs anyways. Just thought I would show that I have issues also.
It happened to me last night as well.

running aeon mQ2 latest rev on windows 7 with xbmc 10.1

I removed my two smb shares of movies from one of my machines, deleted the video database and thumbnails and went to add back in the smb shares for where my movies where, no matter what I tired I could not browse to where the media was over my network, very bad. I was able to finally get to my movies via smb shares by manually putting in the network location and it worked fine, very weird.

It's the first time I have ever not been able to see my smb shares over the network, it only happened after I installed 10.1

TC Shocked
Loft - Intel I5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-LX, Corsair 16GB DDR3, AMD HD 7700, AOC 27" LCD
Bedroom - Intel I3-530, Intel DH55HC, Corsair 4GB DDR3, Nvidia G610, Samsung 37" HDTV
Living Room - Intel E8400, Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia G610, Samsung 52" HDTV
@tcman47: Did you revert to whatever you were using before 10.1 and test whether it worked there? If not, how do you know it was caused by 10.1?
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

tcman47 Wrote:I was able to finally get to my movies via smb shares by manually putting in the network location and it worked fine

Thats the correct way to do it. Its NEVER failed me.
In order to begin to properly look at this "problem" could you post a debug?
Proper Usage of a debug log
If I managed to help you in any way, please add to my reputation

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10.1 bug fix disaster0