NAS + FW800, does it exist?
Right now I have a intel P4 machine with 2gb ram, and 3x 2tb ( not raided ) for my tv shows and movies for XBMC ( 2x atv2's ) and music for subsonic

then I have my Mac pro that I use for my photography business with 3 external 2tb "My books" ( FW800 ) backed up to each other via superduper.

I really would like to get rid of the "media server" since it runs all day long sucking massive amounts of power for no reason ( I dont turn it off incase I want to pull down a movie while at work or run subsonic for music )

Do they make a enclosure that can hold 4-5 drives that has ethernet for NAS connectivity and FW800 ( output ) so I can connect my Mac pro to it to store and pull my photos off it ( I edit FROM the FW800, I dont edit from the local disk in the mac pro. )

I know the QNAP has ethernet, esata, USB, but they are for INPUT only ( add more external storage and printer server )

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
46 views and no replies.

I'm guessing that is a no. LOL
Closest I have seen is a bunch of daisy chained single drives.

Since you were looking to purchase some h/w anyways why not just replace your P4 with a low power MB/CPU (like atom or zacate)? It would use a lot less power than your P4 and you could get a FW800 pci card for conecting to your Mac.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
wsume99 Wrote:Since you were looking to purchase some h/w anyways why not just replace your P4 with a low power MB/CPU (like atom or zacate)? It would use a lot less power than your P4 and you could get a FW800 pci card for conecting to your Mac.

Check out the Drobo's. They have a number of options with unique connectivity options.

http://www.drobo.com
From what I was reading on the Drobo website, the models that have both FW800 and ethernet ports have to be put to "sleep" before switching between the two. I haven't heard of a standalone NAS that can do what you're asking. Keep us updated if you find something!
raschkec Wrote:Check out the Drobo's. They have a number of options with unique connectivity options.

http://www.drobo.com

You can build a lower power unraid server for less than the cost of a drobo unit.
^^Amen brother! That is exactly what I was thinking. In fact my advice to just about anyone would be if you are going to have more than a single disk of media stroage then build a server - my choice would be unraid. You will not regret it.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS + FW800, does it exist?0