• 12(current)
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Maybe for later but I don't see it being the focus area of development as many users don't repeatedly run the script.

Excellent point. The juice is probably not worth the squeeze. I'm only doing it again because I wanted to start with a fresh image before I renew fighting with afp via your instructions. I never underestimate my ability to stealthily break things.
thermobaric Wrote:Excellent point. The juice is probably not worth the squeeze. I'm only doing it again because I wanted to start with a fresh image before I renew fighting with afp via your instructions. I never underestimate my ability to stealthily break things.

You'll learn by breaking Smile
Hey Sam, nice work.. took a few tries though..

First time got blinking question mark.
same thing second time.
third time it went through and installed everything just fine.

On the previous image i had of pin87 my usb disks would automatically show up in XBMC as a source.

This didn't work with this image, i added hfssupport and nothing, i had to manually mount the disk using ssh and add it to fstab to auto mount at every boot up and then umount at shutdown. not sure what the problem is, any solution?

another thing was sound over hdmi didnt work. I had to set it to hdmi, custom custom and manually yupe plughw:0,3, reboot and then it worked.
Bandit_Kaine Wrote:Hey Sam, nice work.. took a few tries though..

First time got blinking question mark.
same thing second time.
third time it went through and installed everything just fine.

On the previous image i had of pin87 my usb disks would automatically show up in XBMC as a source.

This didn't work with this image, i added hfssupport and nothing, i had to manually mount the disk using ssh and add it to fstab to auto mount at every boot up and then umount at shutdown. not sure what the problem is, any solution?

another thing was sound over hdmi didnt work. I had to set it to hdmi, custom custom and manually yupe plughw:0,3, reboot and then it worked.

You had to set sound manually because that is how I configured it. Most people use TOSLINK/Analog, so it is preconfigured for that.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Mount/USB -- nothing is broken, I just didn't choose to enable either feature
Nice work Sam.

Only one question:
How do i shut down apple tv?
From the XBMC i actually cannot put to sleep or shut down the machine, only close the xbmc interface and returning to linux.

Thanks
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Check your email. If my instructions worked I'll implement an install script

Sam, I did find a .deb, and I got afp working and the volume mounted. For future use...I started with a clean install, and:

(for my fellow linux n00bs, my end goal here is to mount an external drive connected via USB to my Airport Extreme Base Station using afp. /Hellfire is where all my video goodness lies on the external drive, and my intended mount point is /home/atv/AEBS)

Code:
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/afpfs-ng/afpfs-ng/0.8.1/afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb

sudo apt-get update    #just because

sudo apt-get upgrade   #I like free upgrades

dpkg-deb -I afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb #I was curious about dependencies...

mount_afp afp://thermobaric:[email protected]/Hellfire AEBS
Mounting 192.168.2.2 from Hellfire on AEBS
Mounting of volume Hellfire of server Joe's AirPort Extreme succeeded.
Cool

however... XBMC doesn't see the folder when I'm attempting to add a source. It sees the scripts folder, and that's it.

an ls -l of ~ shows:

drwxrwxrwx 24 atv atv 772 2011-04-12 06:34 AEBS
-rwxr-xr-x 1 atv atv 250 2011-02-03 17:23 disable_updates
-rwxr-xr-x 1 atv atv 208 2011-02-03 17:30 enable_updates
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1262 2011-02-03 17:18 info
drwxr-xr-x 2 atv atv 4096 2011-04-12 11:43 scripts

to me, this means God and everybody has rwx on the mounted drive, aka same as 777. So why can't XBMC see the directory?
Hello,

I would like to know if the "Resume from last stop position" option is working on this release?

Because I can't get this to work! My first try was to run from the USB stick and it didn't work, now I just did a clean HD install and it's still not working.

Thanks for your time.
thermobaric Wrote:Sam, I did find a .deb, and I got afp working and the volume mounted. For future use...I started with a clean install, and:

(for my fellow linux n00bs, my end goal here is to mount an external drive connected via USB to my Airport Extreme Base Station using afp. /Hellfire is where all my video goodness lies on the external drive, and my intended mount point is /home/atv/AEBS)

Code:
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/afpfs-ng/afpfs-ng/0.8.1/afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb

sudo dpkg -i afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb

sudo apt-get update    #just because

sudo apt-get upgrade   #I like free upgrades

dpkg-deb -I afpfs-ng_0.8.1-1_i386.deb #I was curious about dependencies...

mount_afp afp://thermobaric:[email protected]/Hellfire AEBS
Mounting 192.168.2.2 from Hellfire on AEBS
Mounting of volume Hellfire of server Joe's AirPort Extreme succeeded.
:cool

however... XBMC doesn't see the folder when I'm attempting to add a source. It sees the scripts folder, and that's it.

an ls -l of ~ shows:

drwxrwxrwx 24 atv atv 772 2011-04-12 06:34 AEBS
-rwxr-xr-x 1 atv atv 250 2011-02-03 17:23 disable_updates
-rwxr-xr-x 1 atv atv 208 2011-02-03 17:30 enable_updates
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1262 2011-02-03 17:18 info
drwxr-xr-x 2 atv atv 4096 2011-04-12 11:43 scripts

to me, this means God and everybody has rwx on the mounted drive, aka same as 777. So why can't XBMC see the directory?

ADD it manually in Sources.XML

I was right. There is a DEB package Smile. Well that's all you need to do for AFP, except you can add said command to rc.local or mount via CIFS in /etc/fstab automatically. Smile

jumpcuts Wrote:Hello,

I would like to know if the "Resume from last stop position" option is working on this release?

Because I can't get this to work! My first try was to run from the USB stick and it didn't work, now I just did a clean HD install and it's still not working.

Thanks for your time.

You mean hibernation? aTV lacks ACPI support
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:ADD it manually in Sources.XML
I was right. There is a DEB package Smile. Well that's all you need to do for AFP, except you can add said command to rc.local or mount via CIFS in /etc/fstab automatically. Smile

I will. Mind telling my why it won't let me add the source via the GUI? Not all of us prefer the CLI over it...

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:You mean hibernation? aTV lacks ACPI support

I believe he means resume the video from the last point you were at, which I notice seemed not to work, but have yet to investigate. May lie in the fact that on the OSX version, it shows up as an option something along the lines of "Resume from last stopped position= (Yes,No,Ask)" But the Linux version's option is "Default selection action= (Choose, Play, Resume and Show information). Option resides under System/Video Settings/Playback IIRC.
thermobaric Wrote:I will. Mind telling my why it won't let me add the source via the GUI? Not all of us prefer the CLI over it...

I believe he means resume the video from the last point you were at, which I notice seemed not to work, but have yet to investigate. May lie in the fact that on the OSX version, it shows up as an option something along the lines of "Resume from last stopped position= (Yes,No,Ask)" But the Linux version's option is "Default selection action= (Choose, Play, Resume and Show information). Option resides under System/Video Settings/Playback IIRC.

Hmm. You;re trying to add the directory you mounted to not the specific protocol right? I see what he means about Last Position now. It works fine for me -- linked to a mysql db though (able to resume from any point)
thermobaric Wrote:I believe he means resume the video from the last point you were at, which I notice seemed not to work, but have yet to investigate. May lie in the fact that on the OSX version, it shows up as an option something along the lines of "Resume from last stopped position= (Yes,No,Ask)" But the Linux version's option is "Default selection action= (Choose, Play, Resume and Show information). Option resides under System/Video Settings/Playback IIRC.

This is correct. Even if I change the default option (play) to resume or show information, it's not working.

Sam, do you think you could take a look at this?

This option is really useful for my kids (and me Smile), who stop shows at any point and like to continue them later on.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry but it's likely an XBMC problem then. It seems unlikely that it's a problem with the OS itself and I am not an XBMC dev.
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Hmm. You;re trying to add the directory you mounted to not the specific protocol right?

Right. I mount afpserver/Hellfire to ~/AEBS using afp. All works well in bash, but when I try to add a video source in xbmc, it does not see the AEBS directory at all. It sees the scripts folder just fine though. That's why i posted the long listing of ~ earlier in case my permissions were wrong.
thermobaric Wrote:Right. I mount afpserver/Hellfire to ~/AEBS using afp. All works well in bash, but when I try to add a video source in xbmc, it does not see the AEBS directory at all. It sees the scripts folder just fine though. That's why i posted the long listing of ~ earlier in case my permissions were wrong.

Get rid of ~ or symlink. Problem solved
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Get rid of ~ or symlink. Problem solved

I don't belive I actually used either. Ah well. I'll figure it out.
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)1