• 14(current)
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:/etc/fstab

Thank you. After a little searching here in the forum I get it work. Nod
Got a question. Is there something wrong with my CrystalHD card or the driver?

lspci | grep Broadcom yields:
Code:
atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ lspci | grep Broadcom
02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 1612 (rev 01)
And, cat scripts/crystalnum results in:
Code:
atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ cat scripts/crystalnum

So it looks like I have the driver, but Ubuntu doesn't seem to recognize the card.

The crystalhd (via lsmod) kernel module is loaded, I'm just a little perplexed as to why my card version doesn't seem to want to reveal itself. That, and I actually forgot which one I got (12 or 15) and wanted to check it out, without re-opening the ATV that is.
Sam,

First off thank you for putting so much effort into this. I feel like this will be a great use of my apple tv!

I just wanted to know if it is possible to use wifi rather than the ethernet connection? I searched and read the manual and I did not see anything about this anywhere. Am I missing something?
Hi. I successfully installed this image onto an external hdd. However, if i boot without an internet connection it fails, I believe when looking for an update. Is there anyway to boot XBMC from my hdd without the failure? Thanks a lot!
Quote:Got a question. Is there something wrong with my CrystalHD card or the driver?

Code:
02:00.0 Multimedia controller: Broadcom Corporation Unknown device 1612 (rev 01)

so, you have the xx12 version of the card, whereas mine reads 1615 for the xx15 card.

Normal I think. Have you actually tried HD content?
djplayer Wrote:Sam,

First off thank you for putting so much effort into this. I feel like this will be a great use of my apple tv!

I just wanted to know if it is possible to use wifi rather than the ethernet connection? I searched and read the manual and I did not see anything about this anywhere. Am I missing something?

since you removed the wifi card to install the crystalHD card, the short answer is no. However, you could research and find a USB wifi dongle, build in your own drivers, and go from there. But you might just as easily just go get a wireless ethernet bridge, or wireless gaming adapter.
Hi!

First tnx for great product.
Second i was trying to made composite out vorking according to http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay Well i have to modify the script a little because it is not the same as on page.

PHP Code:
Section "Screen"

Identifier     "Screen0"

Device         "Device0"

Monitor        "Monitor0"

DefaultDepth    24
    Option         
"DPI" "100x100"

Option         "UseEvents" "1"

Option         "AddARGBVisuals" "1"

Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"

Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"

Option         "UseEDID" "FALSE"

Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"

Option         "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

Option         "TVOverScan" "0.80
    Option         "
NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "
Coolbits" "1"
    SubSection     "
Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "
720x480" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection 

So i think it will be usefull also for other people, to create script which will enable output for component, composit, hdmi, s-video. Just like you did with ./enable_updates

For example ./video_component will enable component output, ./video_composit will enable composit,.. and so on for HDMI and s-video.

TNX
pumkinut Wrote:Got a question. Is there something wrong with my CrystalHD card or the driver?

lspci | grep Broadcom yields:
Code:
And, cat scripts/crystalnum results in:
Code:
atv@appletv-ubuntu:~$ cat scripts/crystalnum

So it looks like I have the driver, but Ubuntu doesn't seem to recognize the card.

The crystalhd (via lsmod) kernel module is loaded, I'm just a little perplexed as to why my card version doesn't seem to want to reveal itself. That, and I actually forgot which one I got (12 or 15) and wanted to check it out, without re-opening the ATV that is.

Ubuntu is recognising it. Ergo the output from lspci. You have a BCM70012.

funkdr_1999 Wrote:Hi. I successfully installed this image onto an external hdd. However, if i boot without an internet connection it fails, I believe when looking for an update. Is there anyway to boot XBMC from my hdd without the failure? Thanks a lot!

Yup. Disable system updates with ./disable_updates.

illiac4 Wrote:Hi!

First tnx for great product.
Second i was trying to made composite out vorking according to http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/atvdisplay Well i have to modify the script a little because it is not the same as on page.

PHP Code:
Section "Screen"

Identifier     "Screen0"

Device         "Device0"

Monitor        "Monitor0"

DefaultDepth    24
    Option         
"DPI" "100x100"

Option         "UseEvents" "1"

Option         "AddARGBVisuals" "1"

Option         "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"

Option         "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"

Option         "UseEDID" "FALSE"

Option         "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"

Option         "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"

Option         "TVOverScan" "0.80
    Option         "
NoLogo" "True"
    Option         "
Coolbits" "1"
    SubSection     "
Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes      "
720x480" "640x480"
    EndSubSection
EndSection 

So i think it will be usefull also for other people, to create script which will enable output for component, composit, hdmi, s-video. Just like you did with ./enable_updates

For example ./video_component will enable component output, ./video_composit will enable composit,.. and so on for HDMI and s-video.

TNX

No reason. If I setup a ./video_component/composite etc people will still need to modify their xorg.conf for their desired resolutions, therefore there is no point in creating a file that will be modified anyway. Besides, those using composite or component are such a minority that they generally have the experience as they have been using their setup on frontrow under these settings, and thus are familiar with modifications necessary to output video correctly (composite.kext)
Hi Sam and all,

First off thank you for the img.

I have done something bad I think, i ran

sudo apt-get update
and
sudo apt-get upgrade

and now I have a pink screen any advice how I can fix it without reimaging the drive again

sorry for the double post, found this tread and think people have solved this here.

any help appreciated
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
I installed the image and it works perfectly.

However, I tried to enable dds compression. I created the "advancedsettings.xml" file under /root/.xbmc/userdata.

I added the required parameters :
<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

But it seems that it's not applied as I don't get any dds file and switching between movies remains quite slow.

Any idea on how to verify if it is enabled ?

Thanks
Delivereath Wrote:I installed the image and it works perfectly.

However, I tried to enable dds compression. I created the "advancedsettings.xml" file under /root/.xbmc/userdata.

I added the required parameters :
<advancedsettings>
<useddsfanart>true</useddsfanart>
</advancedsettings>

But it seems that it's not applied as I don't get any dds file and switching between movies remains quite slow.

Any idea on how to verify if it is enabled ?

Thanks

Seems not to be working then. Why not add the GPU temp setting and see if that shows under System Info, will tell you if its (advancedsettings.xml) being parsed.
Ilia Wrote:and now I have a pink screen any advice how I can fix it without reimaging the drive again

any help appreciated
See post 191. in alsamixer, use arrrows to move, and m to mute/unmute. use tab to switch pages.
Sam, you are a scholar and a gentlemen.

I tried to do this myself. I based the image on Lubuntu 10.10. As you're probably aware (in a way that I wasn't when I started) that the required Nvidia drivers (100.14.19) are not compatible with modern distributions because of a kernel mismatch.

I cannot figure out, for all I'm worth, how to do a better job than you did. The only things I could think of require a ton of work and a deeper level of understanding of Ubuntu and Linux than I am prepared to investigate.

So, thanks for all your work.
Hi Guys,

@thermobaric - I tried that before, after your comment I went to try again and it worked, after i rebooted a few times.

Now i have:
atv1 + crystalubuntu (sams img) + airplay(airplayer) + airtunes (shairport)
(next is to put it all on the internal drive Smile )

all working.. a MASSIVE thank you to Sam for his image.

Cheers,
Ilia
Current setup:
Amlogic M3/MX + Linux + BOXiK Skin + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6

Previous setup:
Revo 3700 + flirc + OpenElec nightlies + Quartz + Pioneer vsx520 + Dali Lektor 6
atv1 + Crystalbuntu + XBMC nightly + xperience1080
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Seems not to be working then. Why not add the GPU temp setting and see if that shows under System Info, will tell you if its (advancedsettings.xml) being parsed.

I added the GPU temp setting and the "?" still appears after rebooting. How can I get advancedsettings.xml to work? I really only care about dds.
  • 14(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)1