• 4(current)
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Nothing is broken Smile

You are trying to write to a root directory. Therefore need root permissions. Here are your choices:
  • Enable root account and login as root
  • Use sudo infront of command such as nano or cp
  • Write file to a place you can access (your home directory) /home/atv and then use sudo cp to copy it over to the protected directory.

TNX that did itSmile Linux noob.
I did:
sudo passwd root
and enable it. Now i can use winscs and login as root.

TNX again.
All,

Any idea why I am not able to SSH into my ATV using atv/atv username / password?

Thanks,
Alan
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:The system can work with the internal hard drive. To use a USB hard drive however, just plug the USB hdd in your system and restore it using the USB Image. This will work fine provided that the internal drive is still installed - else com.apple.boot.plist's references will need to be changed to /dev/sda.

Do you mean plug the USB hard drive into the ATV's USB port and boot from the flash drive, also plugged into the port ( using a hub), and it will restore to the external USB drive from the flash drive ( assuming the internal hard drive is present)? This would be fantastic and a trivial way of getting an external USB boot hard drive working (using the whole drive!).

philip
Question 
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Well this is the problem. No or limited network connectivity.You can edit network settings in /etc/network/interfaces and DNS in /etc/resolv.conf, though you shouldn't have to do so.

Sam.Nazarko Wrote:USB hub and keyboard -- or a keyboard only if HDD install.

Hope this helps

Well... could you please be a bit more precise about this? Wink

as mentioned, Im a total linux noob. The Keyboard hint was good though :o
Logged into the atv after the error with atv/atv, entered /etc/network/interfaces = no permission. Entered sudo /etc/network/interfaces = Command not found.

Additionally - as you see on my picture - the screen is cut off on the left and bottom, so I dont even get the newest command line / response (no matter what aspect I choose on my TV) :/
So Im working half blind ... this + having no idea what the hell I'm doing there is no good combination :o

Neither do I have a clue what i should change in /etc/network/interfaces Sad

A little "how to solve this problem for dummies" would be highly appreciated

/I guess these dumb questions are pretty exhausting for you - i apologize for that; but I would really like to run you image to finally gain HD support on my aTV

//I could open (and edit) /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf by starting a Knoppix Live CD :o
But I have no idea what to change - all looks quite right?!
Thanks very much for all your hard work. I have no experience with linux on the appleTV, in fact i just bought a 2nd hand Apple TV.

What is was wodnering is, if it is posible to get a 4:3 resolution with this distribution? I still have an old 4:3 CRT and only composite input... I know about the hacks to get color composite output over the component-out..

Does this also work here? Or better, is it easier to set?
JDizzy Wrote:Hmmm.. I'm thinking it downloads the 500MB+ file when installing the image to the USB stick. If so, I could download the image at work and install it to my stick there.
Then, install it from the stick to HD later at home without too much more to download. Am I correct in my thinking here?

Yes. You are correct.

dnguyen77 Wrote:All,

Any idea why I am not able to SSH into my ATV using atv/atv username / password?

Thanks,
Alan

Try ping the device.

pmcd Wrote:Do you mean plug the USB hard drive into the ATV's USB port and boot from the flash drive, also plugged into the port ( using a hub), and it will restore to the external USB drive from the flash drive ( assuming the internal hard drive is present)? This would be fantastic and a trivial way of getting an external USB boot hard drive working (using the whole drive!).

philip

Yep. That's what it does.

Bagheera Wrote:Well... could you please be a bit more precise about this? Wink

as mentioned, Im a total linux noob. The Keyboard hint was good though :o
Logged into the atv after the error with atv/atv, entered /etc/network/interfaces = no permission. Entered sudo /etc/network/interfaces = Command not found.

Additionally - as you see on my picture - the screen is cut off on the left and bottom, so I dont even get the newest command line / response (no matter what aspect I choose on my TV) :/
So Im working half blind ... this + having no idea what the hell I'm doing there is no good combination :o

Neither do I have a clue what i should change in /etc/network/interfaces Sad

A little "how to solve this problem for dummies" would be highly appreciated

/I guess these dumb questions are pretty exhausting for you - i apologize for that; but I would really like to run you image to finally gain HD support on my aTV

//I could open (and edit) /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/resolv.conf by starting a Knoppix Live CD :o
But I have no idea what to change - all looks quite right?!

Of course sudo /etc/network/interfaces gives an error, you need to use a text editor like vi or nano.

Reptielll Wrote:Thanks very much for all your hard work. I have no experience with linux on the appleTV, in fact i just bought a 2nd hand Apple TV.

What is was wodnering is, if it is posible to get a 4:3 resolution with this distribution? I still have an old 4:3 CRT and only composite input... I know about the hacks to get color composite output over the component-out..

Does this also work here? Or better, is it easier to set?

Set a 4:3 resolution in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Of course sudo /etc/network/interfaces gives an error, you need to use a text editor like vi or nano.
Well I managed to get access to the text editor (nano) ...

You dont have any idea what to change in there?
No, because it should work out of box. Perhaps your connection initialises too late in the startup process - try running ./sync.sh manually, or pinging your router. Verify network cable is plugged in as well
Thanks sam.
As promised, I tried out the installation method 'Internal Hard Drive' and with succes. Again, it worked like a charm! :cool2:

What did I do?

1. Replaced the harddisk of the ATV with a Western Digital WD1600BEVE (which was previously used for running WinXP in a laptop). That is was the exact same type was pure luck/coincidence.

2. Created a USB stick using the 'CrystalHD Linux for AppleTV Installer' with installation method 'Internal Hard Drive'.

3. Inserted the USB stick into the ATV and powered up the ATV

4. Waited for the installer to finish

5. Pulled out the power cord

6. Removed the USB stick

7. Powered up the ATV

8. Waiting for the synchronization to finish and 'tadaaaa' XBMC on the screen

How easy can it be? Smile
Great work Sam, another 'donation++'. Big Grin
When booting my 'LinuxTV' without being connected to the network, it failes to boot.
(by LinuxTV, I mean AppleTV with Ubuntu + XBMX installed using Sam's installer)

I found out that during each boot sequence, it will check for updates of XBMC, CrystalHD drivers & the 'update check' script itself. This scripts is executed since it is defined in the file /etc/rc.local.

Next to not being conneted to the internet: if for any reason the server svn.stmlabs.com would be unreachable, everyone would be unable to boot its ATV. Sad

To circumvent this and disable the automatic synchronization you can perform below changes in the file /etc/rc.local:

original:
Code:
cd /home/atv/scripts
./getfile.sh

disable check/update:
Code:
#cd /home/atv/scripts
#./getfile.sh

Now it boots even faster! Wink

P.S.: when editing in Windows, be sure to preserve the Linux line endings! (naturally, as Linux noob, I forgot about this at first, doh!)
When exiting XBMC (using exit, shutdown, suspend or reboot) the ATV will not power down. As a result, the hard drive will keep spinning! :eek2:

To fix this, change the following lines of file /etc/rc.local:

original:
Quote:clear
exit 0

enable a proper powerdown:
Quote:shutdown -P now

-P corresponds with 'power off after shutdown (implies -h)'
  • normal operation: 27 Watt
  • after exit XBMC (original): 21 Watt
  • after exit XBMC (proper power down): 21 Watt

Huh? :confused2: Again 21 Watt when powering down the hard drive?

The proper power down will power down the hard drive, but this does not save you any power. I double checked that the hard drive stopped spinning after 'shutdown -P now'. It will extend the life of you hard drive and probably also will lead to less corrupted hard drive when powering down the ATV by switching off the AC power. Wink
Sam, i haven't gotten to test your new image yet, but i want to ask - is there a way to restore AppleTV to factory settings after installing image to Internal HDD (in case i need to revert to Apple OS)?
HTPC: XBMC Gotham 15.2 on Intel NUC DCCP847DYE (Intel Celeron 847), 2GB RAM, Samsung PM830 SSD, OpenELEC 6.0.0
SYSTEM: Panasonic TX-P65ST50, Pioneer VSX-922K, Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 + Diamond 9.CS + SW150 sub, Logitech Harmony 880 remote
I have two question 1st one is if I attach a USB drive cam SAMs atv image see this and play files from it. (openelec has this feature) 2nd sound. I have used putty to access the sound set up and I see four bars all coloured I presume I go to the last one iec958 1 and double click I take that un mutes it. How do I then save this, if I hit escape and the enter the command to save this it tells me I don't have permission. Do not know Linux very well.

Paul
bass63 Wrote:Sam, i haven't gotten to test your new image yet, but i want to ask - is there a way to restore AppleTV to factory settings after installing image to Internal HDD (in case i need to revert to Apple OS)?

You can use ATVcloner if you have a Mac to make an image of the ATV original OS, otherwise swap out the HDD for another model before installing Sam's image.
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)1