• 10(current)
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)
bigjuggler Wrote:I think I add the following to the fstab using nano:

# Mount the Media partition on the ATV internal PATA disk
/dev/sda4 /media/pata hfsplus force,rw,user,defaults 0 0

Does it matter if it comes before or after what is already there? Is this the right code to add?'

You'll have to modify this for sure. The mount point won't be as stated. It will have to be some point in /home/atv/ I suspect.

I did try various combos but I have yet to get it to work. If you do please let me know!

philip
Hello,

I'm running this distribution from a 4gig USB stick and things are looking great!

I'm just not able to use the resume from last stop position option...

Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time.
Hey folks, just upgraded my old atv/ubuntu to this release. I'm struggling to get standard RCA analog out sound. Not HDMI or Optical. Was working before the re-image.

Has anyone else run into this issue? I noticed the HDMI settings were covered in the manual but didn't see anything referring to analog.

Thanks!

--Chris
I'm using the RCA audio connectors without any problem, did you select the correct analog output in the audio settings screen?
pmcd Wrote:You'll have to modify this for sure. The mount point won't be as stated. It will have to be some point in /home/atv/ I suspect.

I did try various combos but I have yet to get it to work. If you do please let me know!

philip

No time to play right now, but post #4 should be the gouge.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51626
Many thanks from a complete linux noob. I was unable to get my 1080p files to play without stutter in the osx version of xbmc. Your installer is great. My files play very nicely on the linux platform.

One suggestion-you might get less questions on audio setup if the instructions were modified to make it clear that the passthrough device also needs to be setup as custom for hdmi. Took me awhile to figure that out.

Is there a way to move from the xbmc linux environment back to the apple tv environment short of removing the usb stick and rebooting?

XBMC is hanging on the exit screen, any suggestions? If exiting doesn't take you back to appletv function then that would, of course, be moot.

Donation on the way.

Brian
bmel Wrote:Many thanks from a complete linux noob. I was unable to get my 1080p files to play without stutter in the osx version of xbmc. Your installer is great. My files play very nicely on the linux platform.

One suggestion-you might get less questions on audio setup if the instructions were modified to make it clear that the passthrough device also needs to be setup as custom for hdmi. Took me awhile to figure that out.

Is there a way to move from the xbmc linux environment back to the apple tv environment short of removing the usb stick and rebooting?

XBMC is hanging on the exit screen, any suggestions? If exiting doesn't take you back to appletv function then that would, of course, be moot.

Donation on the way.

Brian

Hey,

Thank you for your donation. The manual on the project page has the answers to both custom audio paths and how to handle XBMC's default exit behaviour. I guess if you really wanted to boot straight into frontrow, and you didn't mind making some expert modifications you could extract the mach_kernel on /dev/sda and kexec using the initrd and kernel images. Not for the feint of heart
bmel Wrote:One suggestion-you might get less questions on audio setup if the instructions were modified to make it clear that the passthrough device also needs to be setup as custom for hdmi. Took me awhile to figure that out.

Good point m8. I read the exact same thing, did exactly what you seem to have done, and forgot to mention it. The 'manual' is somewhat elusive for those of us weekend warriors who don't dream in binary.

@Sam: how much of a donation would it take to get you to incorporate afp? afpfs-ng seems like it would do the trick as it's afp for ubuntu, but I'm a dolt and botched the install. Perhaps this particular smb on your distro works better, but when we were on ATV os v1, afp was much MUCH more cooperative (ie faster).

And I've gotten off my *** and made a donation to you pint fund as well finally.
thermobaric Wrote:Good point m8. I read the exact same thing, did exactly what you seem to have done, and forgot to mention it. The 'manual' is somewhat elusive for those of us weekend warriors who don't dream in binary.

@Sam: how much of a donation would it take to get you to incorporate afp? afpfs-ng seems like it would do the trick as it's afp for ubuntu, but I'm a dolt and botched the install. Perhaps this particular smb on your distro works better, but when we were on ATV os v1, afp was much MUCH more cooperative (ie faster).

And I've gotten off my *** and made a donation to you pint fund as well finally.

Check your email. If my instructions worked I'll implement an install script
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Check your email. If my instructions worked I'll implement an install script

I'll have a look and play with it. Unlike you, my mancave is the shower, and that's about the only time I get to myself. It may be a week or two before I get the time to play with it, but I'll report back. Thanks again for sharing all of your hard work with us. I've just watched Tron Legacy, and all I can here is is the pejorative voice on the grid saying A Uuuuuuuzer. Sounds a lot like Loser...
thermobaric Wrote:I'll have a look and play with it. Unlike you, my mancave is the shower, and that's about the only time I get to myself. It may be a week or two before I get the time to play with it, but I'll report back. Thanks again for sharing all of your hard work with us. I've just watched Tron Legacy, and all I can here is is the pejorative voice on the grid saying A Uuuuuuuzer. Sounds a lot like Loser...

Okey doke. Good luck with it all Smile
Cheers for that. Now if I can just get my head down tonight with the new baby for more than about three hours, I can type...
thermobaric Wrote:No time to play right now, but post #4 should be the gouge.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=51626

Thank's that does it. Made a folder in /home/atv and mounted sda4 to it using it. Interesting.

philip
bmel Wrote:[ ]

Donation on the way.

Brian

There is no way of getting to the ATV side short of removing the usb stick and restarting. Perhaps there is some sort of multiple boot loader that you find with "hackintosh" pc's, but it's not clear this can be done without distributing Apple specific sw which is not acceptable. On a "hackintosh" you often see Chameleon booting Linux, OSX, windows, etc ...

Even if it could be done, how would you control the selection? The remote or whatever would have to gain control very quickly. On a Mac you can hold down the menu button and get a selection of bootable OS's. I doubt the AppleTV has that. Would be nice though as the ATV OSX side has some very nice features.

When I exit xbmc I seem to get to a Linux shell. You can ssh to the atv and issue a reboot command and remove the usb drive. Saves unplugging or switching on and off I suppose but timing is an issue Smile

philip
Hey,

I have fixed the blinking question mark issue for good. Anyone restoring to their internal drive will no longer encounter this issue. The problem was with the IDE interface.

http://www.stmlabs.com/2011/04/10/fixed-blinking-question-mark-issue/

Simply rerun the installer script -- the new script has been pushed out automatically, no need to reimage the USB

Thanks for your patience and understanding

Sam
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[RELEASE] CrystalHD Linux distributions for Apple TV with UI installer (Win, Linux)1