• 12(current)
Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled.
Cfishy Wrote:I'm still holding out hope that there will be a software solution for our issues.

I'll give it a couple more months than take your route...
The issue is related to the hardware capability of the iGPU in the intel SB CPUs (24.000 fps vs 23.976 fps) and I don't think that any software is going to correct that. Now that h/w acceleration appears to be working with the nightlies you have three options:
  1. Live with your system as is
  2. Install a discrete graphics card that supprots playback at 23.976 fps
  3. Upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it comes out in 2012 as Intel indicated that they would fix the 24 fps issue in the Ivy Bridge release
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Sounds like we've gotten off topic with the 24p talk......Has the macroblocking issue been resolved with the most recent nightly builds??
In my post I said, "Now that h/w acceleration appears to be working with the nightlies..."

If you recall, the macroblocking issue was a result of enabling h/w acceleration. I have not confirmed this myself but several users have posted in this thread that using the nightly build instead of the lastest stable release (Dharma) results in proper h/w acceleration hence no macroblocking. So now because it appears that the macroblocking issue is gone we can get back to complaining about the 24p issue.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
len45 Wrote:ok I spoke too soon. I am actually seeing the playback get choppy and frames dropped even with HW acceleration turned off. Seems like the i3 without HW acceleration can't decode all that smoothly in highly complex/high bitrate scenes. The way I gauged this is the "o" on-screen display in XBMC using a clip with fast moving CGI (the DTS trailer below). There's a point where the bitrate gets high and the "o" screen shows a "dropped" count that ticks up. And the screen framerate looks a bit jerky for a second there.

Is there a place we can check to see if the devs are working on fixing HW acceleration with Intel graphics in XBMC 11?

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redire...ssless.rar

I'll test it out tonight. If HW acceleration is indeed fixed I think I can live with teh 24 frames a second...
Spyhop Wrote:It's also a lot more money, has a fan on it, uses more power, and unavailable in low profile.

I was mistaken, I've the Sapphire Radeon HD6570 1GB (not the HD6750)..

I was afraid of fan-noise myself, but the CPU fan spins faster when I pull the card out, so in reality my HTPC makes less noise when the card is in.
HTPC 1: Core i3 2100T (Sandy Bridge), Sapphire Radeon HD6570 1GB (discrete video card)
HTPC 2: ZBox HD-ND22 (Intel SU2300+Ion first generation)
Both run: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, XBMC Nightly build
huzzah, this is working now. I just installed hte newest nightly for windows and the newest intel hd drivers from september and enabled dxva in xbmc and it works awesomely. when I hit o in xbmc while playing something it says it's using ffmpeg-h264-dxva. I have an intel core i3 2100 with hd graphics 2000 in win 7 64 bit
wsume99 Wrote:The issue is related to the hardware capability of the iGPU in the intel SB CPUs (24.000 fps vs 23.976 fps) and I don't think that any software is going to correct that. Now that h/w acceleration appears to be working with the nightlies you have three options:
  1. Live with your system as is
  2. Install a discrete graphics card that supprots playback at 23.976 fps
  3. Upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it comes out in 2012 as Intel indicated that they would fix the 24 fps issue in the Ivy Bridge release

Did you try to disable windows 7 UAC? It resolve 23.976 problem.
So what is the situation with Sandy Bridge and XBMC? Is it working all fine just with the 24p issue? I am trying to decide what htpc to buy but I keep changing my mind between sandy bridge and the zotac nd22. Plus does it matter whether it is linux or windows?
saitrix Wrote:So what is the situation with Sandy Bridge and XBMC? Is it working all fine just with the 24p issue? I am trying to decide what htpc to buy but I keep changing my mind between sandy bridge and the zotac nd22. Plus does it matter whether it is linux or windows?

I've a Sandy Bridge and a Zotac ND22. If I were you I'd go for the Zotac. Love that machine. A lot less hassle than the Sandy Bridge.
HTPC 1: Core i3 2100T (Sandy Bridge), Sapphire Radeon HD6570 1GB (discrete video card)
Do you use sab and sickbeard on the nd22? I am just worrying that the nd22 wont handle playing video at the same time. How do you find library browsing speed between the 2? If I'm honest I would go for the seperates version of the nd22 to allow quieter operation.
saitrix Wrote:Do you use sab and sickbeard on the nd22? I am just worrying that the nd22 wont handle playing video at the same time. How do you find library browsing speed between the 2? If I'm honest I would go for the seperates version of the nd22 to allow quieter operation.

I don't use sab and sickbeard on my ND22 (have a separate PC for that). So, I basically use the HTPC's only as player now. I don't notice any difference in library browsing speed, using the default skin. However, using the heavy 'Aeon MQ 2' skin the Sandy Bridge is a lot faster.

But in retrospect. I think I'd rather had bought another ND22, than the Sandy Bridge.
I had a LOT of trouble on a recent sandy bridge build for xbmc live. See this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=108860 Havent been able to solve those problems yet. Not saying that this is entirely indicative of the state of things, but from what ive been reading, there are a bunch of people with issues. If youre planning on going with windows though, it all works 100% apparently.

I couldnt find an ND22 in my area and i needed another htpc built right away, so i ended up going for another sandy bridge (one of eskro's builds), but this time with a G620 cpu instead of a core i3. The only problem i had was getting the suspend/resume going. But i managed to solve it by installing xbmclive dharma on top of ubuntu 11.04. Now everything seems to be in working order. Details here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=110357
saitrix Wrote:Do you use sab and sickbeard on the nd22? I am just worrying that the nd22 wont handle playing video at the same time. How do you find library browsing speed between the 2? If I'm honest I would go for the seperates version of the nd22 to allow quieter operation.

I have the nd22 running SAB and Sickbeard. The only time I have noticed an issue is when SAB unpacks the video. Of course this is a very processor intensive activity which causes browsing XBMC to slow down and stutter sometimes. I havent noticed any issues when watching a video however. You could always schedule SAB to only process files during the late evening. As another poster said, an I3/I5/I7 build browse quicker than the ND22 especially with large libraries. For example, it take between 3-7 seconds for the ND22 to access my 30K song music library.

So what would I do?? I would build wait for Ivy Bridge and build an I3 HTPC. Actually, this is exactly what I am doing. You can never have too much processing power.
Is there any word on proper 24p support with Ivy Bridge?
Just wanted to mention that the stutter problem I was talking about lately on this thread got fixed: Click here

Now, I'm happy again with my XBMC HPTC.. I'm still using my Radeon HD6570, and I probably will keep using it (the CPU fan makes less noise with the GPU card in it)..
  • 12(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled.2