• 4(current)
Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled.
len45 Wrote:I have the same build (i3 2100T), latest drivers, same issue, but turning HW acceleration off seems to make everything OK. I tried blu ray rips with highly complex scenes and everything seemed smooth. Are you running other things in the background? And is the framedropping noticeable or are you measuring it somehow?
The workaround to the macroblocking problem IS to turn off the HW acceleration. So you should not see any problems with it turned off. The downside of turning it off is that the CPU has to work harder to decode the video. That means more power and heat - which in most HTPCs means more noise. A power hungry and noisy HTPC does not usually produce a good user experience. That's why you see all the complaints about this XBMC-specific issue. If you want to see what all the fuss is about then turn ON the HW acceleration.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Same problem here with a brand new i3 2100T HTPC system. Too bad dxva2 isn't working. Hopefully it will be fixed soon in XBMC as I love this piece of software Smile
I just wish the XBMC devs would make some sort of statement about this issue. If they dont intend on addressing it fine...just let us know.
tboooe Wrote:I just wish the XBMC devs would make some sort of statement about this issue. If they dont intend on addressing it fine...just let us know.

I agree we at least need to know if there is even a plan to fix this problem or that we should be looking in some other solution/workaround.
ok I spoke too soon. I am actually seeing the playback get choppy and frames dropped even with HW acceleration turned off. Seems like the i3 without HW acceleration can't decode all that smoothly in highly complex/high bitrate scenes. The way I gauged this is the "o" on-screen display in XBMC using a clip with fast moving CGI (the DTS trailer below). There's a point where the bitrate gets high and the "o" screen shows a "dropped" count that ticks up. And the screen framerate looks a bit jerky for a second there.

Is there a place we can check to see if the devs are working on fixing HW acceleration with Intel graphics in XBMC 11?

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redire...ssless.rar
another one over here. Got a 2100t based system, and playing back videos seems to work fine with HW acceleration disabled. however, when high bitrate scenes are played (>20-25Mb/s) it starts dropping frames a lot. According to task manager none of the cores are above 60%, but "vcpu" (visable when pressing "o") does.

I'd think a sandry bridge based pc should be able to playback a 1080p X264 stream... looking forward to finding a solution.
accountabc Wrote:another one over here. Got a 2100t based system, and playing back videos seems to work fine with HW acceleration disabled. however, when high bitrate scenes are played (>20-25Mb/s) it starts dropping frames a lot. According to task manager none of the cores are above 60%, but "vcpu" (visable when pressing "o") does.

I'd think a sandry bridge based pc should be able to playback a 1080p X264 stream... looking forward to finding a solution.

Are you sure your thermals are in check and the CPU isn't being throttled? I have a 2100t and haven't had any issues so far without HW acceleration. I still want HW acceleration as I hate the HSF that comes with the 2100t as it is loud and makes a high pitched whine. I have it set to idle at the lowest setting (completely silent), but without HW accel, temps go up and the HSF is audible.

Using MPC-HC with DXVA on the other hand keeps things perfectly silent during playback, and temps are much lower on the whole.
len45 Wrote:ok I spoke too soon. I am actually seeing the playback get choppy and frames dropped even with HW acceleration turned off. Seems like the i3 without HW acceleration can't decode all that smoothly in highly complex/high bitrate scenes. The way I gauged this is the "o" on-screen display in XBMC using a clip with fast moving CGI (the DTS trailer below). There's a point where the bitrate gets high and the "o" screen shows a "dropped" count that ticks up. And the screen framerate looks a bit jerky for a second there.

Is there a place we can check to see if the devs are working on fixing HW acceleration with Intel graphics in XBMC 11?

http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/redire...ssless.rar
Would LOVE LOVE LOVE for this to be fixed! Happens a lot to me when there are scenes and the camera is panning the room. It's not a deal breaker but it is very annoying.
I am building a new system soon and was going to go for the i3 but does this problem hppen on the i5 as well ?

if it does and turning off HW acceleration would it handle high bitrates as some people said the i3 can not handle some high bitrates.

3rd question would putting in a ati 6570 gfx card fix the problem if you where to go i3 ? would it play all high bitrates ?

thanks
meridius Wrote:I am building a new system soon and was going to go for the i3 but does this problem hppen on the i5 as well ?
Not 100% sure, but I would expect it to happen on all SB chips with HW acceleration turned on.

meridius Wrote:if it does and turning off HW acceleration would it handle high bitrates as some people said the i3 can not handle some high bitrates.
The i5 should be able to easily handle the task.

meridius Wrote:3rd question would putting in a ati 6570 gfx card fix the problem if you where to go i3 ? would it play all high bitrates ?
Yes.

Bottom line - the i3 would be just fine except for high bitrate scenes. The i5 should handle any bitrate that you throw at it. If it doesn't then adding in a discrete GPU will do the trick since you'll the be able to use H/W acceleration.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I also got this problem with macroblocking. Like others once HW acceleration was turned off, the problem went away. I would benefit from this feature since my htpc is only a pentium e2160/2gb ram lol Although so far things have ran very well lol
just out of interest how do you turn on HW aceleration for ATI or Intel gfx ? for xbmc
I just bought my hardware today to build my first HTPC. So after a lot of reading and advice I decided to buy an H67 mainboard with an i3 2100 cpu...

Ironically, today I found out about the macroblocking issue. Pretty sour at the moment and thinking of returning the whole lot when it arrives and just forget about ever having an HTPC. Have been reading and waiting for 4 years now...
phusebox Wrote:I just bought my hardware today to build my first HTPC. So after a lot of reading and advice I decided to buy an H67 mainboard with an i3 2100 cpu...

Ironically, today I found out about the macroblocking issue. Pretty sour at the moment and thinking of returning the whole lot when it arrives and just forget about ever having an HTPC. Have been reading and waiting for 4 years now...

Don't get sour. Send back the i3 and use the funds to buy a Pentium G620 and a video card. Sorted.
Here is a new dll that might fix the issue. Please use with official 10.1 build

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29293622/.libs.rar
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Macroblocking with new sandy bridge build, dxva2 enabled.2