XBMC as a VOD front End with transcode??
I have done some searching and can not seem to find a good answer so here is my question/situation.

In my house I would like to stream content from my NAS to anywhere, unfortunately not all network paths in my house are created equal (don't ask it has to do with wireless bridges/repeaters and many devices)

I have XBMC set up on my main TV which has a wired connection the my NAS and streaming works fine (SMB). I would like to be able to stream to some other areas in the house but the connections can't keep up with 1080p mkvs and streaming mostly fails.

What I would like to do is have XBMC set up on the remote machines and work in all its glory EXCEPT instead of going right to the SMB/FTP/Etc source I would like it to say interface to VLC on the NAS and have VLC transcode the stream to something that will stream OK (preset transcode container is fine) and then XBMC to play it.

Each remote machine needs to be able to stream its own content independent of what any other machine is streaming.

I guess to give a better idea the goal would be to have in in house Netflix like setup with the transcoding and all but using XBMC as the front end.

Does anyone have any idea how to go about doing this with XBMC (or any other interface for that matter)

Thanks
CG
I would guess you'd be better off installing a dedicated streaming app like TVersity.

JR
Have you tried homeplugs (ethernet over powerlines) they tend to work better than wireless and can handle 1080p video in most cases.
Thanks. I will look into TVersity to see if there is a way to provide the front end that I desire (Movie descriptions, TV episode overviews and such)

While I have not tried the home plugs that would only solve some of the issue as I would like to have this feature available when I am completely wireless or on devices that have no Ethernet jack.

thanks
CG

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC as a VOD front End with transcode??0