My first htpc/nas
Building my unraid server was the best decision I've made in a long time. I'd consider it a must have if you are going to use XBMC. The only reason not to have a NAS is if you aren't going to have a media library and if that's the case then I can't see why you would be using XBMC.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
You've all pretty much convinced me that combining nas and htpc is a bad idea. Does any you have any experience with if this amd motherboard plays nice with linux?
xecutionx Wrote:I'd use eskro's guide to build a nice little, standalone HTPC. I think he needs to update the guide to include the new zacate hardware (I can be wrong through).

i have a ZACATE build in my guide Tongue
[Mini-ITX] Zacate 2x1.6Ghz + HD6310 ($183)
RuZleBiFf Wrote:Never use those HDD's in a NAS running RAID.
They can't handle more than 1 connection at the time, and are generally crap for running in RAID. For normal use they are great Smile

Which drives are suited for a raid, WD black, WD blue or something else?
erikbp Wrote:Which drives are suited for a raid, WD black, WD blue or something else?

For media, I'd look into UnRAID instead of a traditional RAID. You'll be able to use any drive of any capacity.
Mixing NASes and HTPCs is bad because:

1. The best cases are meant to do one or the other basically.

2. The best NASes run dedicated OSes like Unraid.

3. A decently cooled NAS need lots of fans, and lots of fans make the kind of noise you don't want in the livingroom.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first htpc/nas0