First Impressions
Rainbow 
Hey peeps,

Just ordered the first half of my bits and was curious on your comments. So far I'm $500 down n I've got the following in the post:

Antec NSK2480B - Black Micro ATX Desktop Case with 80 PLUS Cer $134.35
Corsair 4GB kit (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz Unbuffered CL 8 DIMM Memory $88.39
ATHLON II X4 645 3100MHZ/95W/2MB $125.15
AM3, 880G, 4DDR3, PCIE, RAID, VGA, GBLAN, HDMI, SATA3, mATX, USB $117.61

Decent mATX case w/PSU, some good quality CL8 RAM, 4 core 3.1GHZ CPUs and a comfortable mATX motherboard that should suit me fine. Still looking for a good 1GB nVidia card, a dual tv-tuner (hauupauge come highly recommended) and a good remote control. Will be running ubuntu 10.10 and XBMC. Already have drives and wireless mouse/keyboards etc and will run a wired connection (suits my setup fine) without SSD (install on SATA?). So far I think I'm in the clear but I'm curious what the big guns think. Any recommendations? Cheers.

Morgz
Why did you choose that CPU and 4GB of memory? Are you going to use it for general purpose or video encoding?
Just general purpose really. I'll try get tuners with hardware encoding and I have no interest in ripping really. Just didn't wanna buy stale technology.. Why, did I overkill?
Sorry but I misquoted my question. So you want to use it as HTPC only? I think the X4 is overkill then. A Dual-Core + newer NVidia GFX will fit your needs too.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94268
Not overkilled with a good gf (560ti for example) if you want to use it for heavy gaming htpc Wink its just awesome with the advanced launcher, i didnt touch the ps3 since then xD
I think I fit group 3, maybe 3.5+. I just want one box. Twin tuners, full HD, Blu-ray etc. Not interested in gaming. In fact, I wasn't sure if I was even aiming high enough. Either way, this should be a decent little HTPC somewhere down the line. I think of it as future proofing and I don't mind blowing the bucks providing it does the job. Any further advice for me?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First Impressions0