[DEPRECATED]Rotten Tomatoes ratings scraper
The entire functionality of this scraper has been rolled in to Olympia's excellent Universal Scraper which you can find on the official Team XBMC repository. I strongly recommend that you use this scraper from now on as it combines the best of many metadata sites, with complete flexibility as to which site is used for pretty much every field.

This scraper will no longer be updated and will eventually become deprecated as IMDb and other sites change their layout.

I've created the IMDb + RT scraper. This uses Team XBMC's excellent IMDb scraper to gather your movie information, but with the added ability to grab extra information from Rotten Tomatoes. Such as:
  • TomatoMeter from All Critics
  • TomatoMeter from Top Critics
  • Average Rating from All Critics
  • Average Rating from Top Critics
  • Critics' Consensus
  • Country specific movie certification
At the moment only USA (i.e. MPAA), UK (i.e. BBFC) and Australian (i.e. ACB) ratings are available in the scraper. Please feel free to request your location to be added to the scraper.

When the scraper grabs the rating from RottenTomatoes it will use the 'votes' field for the number of reviews counted for each specific rating. If you don't want the RottenTomatoes ratings and just some of the additional features of this scraper you can still grab the IMDb rating.

For the uninitiated Rotten Tomatoes aggregates the reviews from movie critics and provides a TomatoMeter (percentage of critics who have given the movie a positive review). They also provide an Average Rating of the scores awarded by the critics.

Here's an example of the sort of data the scraper could grab: Battle: Los Angeles:

Rating: (one of)
  • IMDb - 5.9 (70,335 votes)
  • TomatoMeter from All Critics - 3.5 (193 critic's votes)
  • Average Rating from All Critics - 4.9 (193 critic's votes)
  • TomatoMeter from Top Critics - 0.0 (14 critic's votes)
  • Average Ratingfrom Top Critics - 3.5 (14 critic's votes)
Critics' Consensus: Overlong and overly burdened with war movie clichés, Battle: Los Angeles will entertain only the most ardent action junkies.
US Certification (MPAA): Rated PG-13 for sustained and intense sequences of war violence and destruction, and for language
UK Certification (BBFC): 12A
Australian Certification (ACB): M
This is awesome! Thanks
Ooh, this is great. I'll give this a go.
Holy smokes the day that this is released is the day I for the first time decide to search for it! Lucky me! Seems to be working great for me Thanks!
Okay for those who have installed my repository, I've decided to move to Git from SVN.

PLEASE REMOVE VERSION 1.1 MORTSTAR'S ADD-ONS AND REPLACE WITH VERSION 1.2 - JUST REDOWNLOAD WITHIN REPOSITORIES DOWNLOADER IF YOU HAVE IT

The project on Google is marked for deletion and will disappear shortly. Sorry for the inconvenience.
Ok. I installed the Repo. installer plugin and went on to install your repo. Now what? What scrapper do I chose? I went for "IMDB", but I don't see any changes. I did refresh the info, but still nothing.
Once you've installed Mortstar's repo, you also need to install the "IMDb + RT" scraper. Then you choose "IMDb + RT" as the scraper to use with your source. Installing the repo doesn't install the plugin, it only points to another place to get plugins.
redtapemedia Wrote:Once you've installed Mortstar's repo, you also need to install the "IMDb + RT" scraper. Then you choose "IMDb + RT" as the scraper to use with your source. Installing the repo doesn't install the plugin, it only points to another place to get plugins.

Thanks for the info. How would I go about installing the scrapper? I'm running XBMC4XBOX. Thanks.
ocmdiaz714 Wrote:Thanks for the info. How would I go about installing the scrapper? I'm running XBMC4XBOX. Thanks.

XBMC no longer supports XBOX, they've split off development to "xbmc4xbox.org"
To my knowledge XBMC for XBOX has not implemented addons, so this scraper will not work out of the box. If you're wanting someone to help you with this you're best to ask on their forums.
I've edited my local copy to grab UK BBFC ratings instead of US MPAA ratings (fall back is to MPAA if no UK exists). Is this something people would be interested in as an option?
mortstar Wrote:I've edited my local copy to grab UK BBFC ratings instead of US MPAA ratings (fall back is to MPAA if no UK exists). Is this something people would be interested in as an option?
Yes please.

On a side note, any chance you can grab the review consensus from RT and stick it in a field somewhere? For your example movie Spirited Away this would be "Hayao Miyazaki's dazzling, enchanting Spirited Away takes viewers, young and old alike, through the looking glass" perhaps outline would be a good candidate?

I also think the RT synopsis is better than the imdb plot most of the time... any chance you can have an option to use that too ? Smile
I can't get this to work.........

I have downloaded the repository and selected mortstar then I get a window that says downloading but nothing downloads.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Sorted, it downloaded eventually.

David
HTPC1: Intel Pentium G620, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6570, Samsung 830 SSD, Silverstone GD05 case.
HTPC2: AMD Athlon II X2 255, 4GB RAM, AMD HD5450, Western Digital HDD, Silverstone ML03 case.
HTPC3: AMD E350, 4GB RAM, AMD HD6310, OCZ Agility 3 SSD, Akasa Crypto case.
Media Server: i3-3220, 8gb RAM, WHS 2011, 8tb capacity, Fractal Design ARC Midi R2 case.
Been wanting something exactly like this for quite some time...

All my movies have a movie.nfo with a full IMDB scrape. Is there a way for me to have this scraper only update all the IMDB ratings to RT ratings?

If i rescan my whole library, will it just load the nfos or only take what it needs from the nfo and get the rating from RT?
[4 Kodi Clients + 4 Norco RPC-4224 Media Servers w/376 TB HDD Space]
Pr.Sinister Wrote:Been wanting something exactly like this for quite some time...

All my movies have a movie.nfo with a full IMDB scrape. Is there a way for me to have this scraper only update all the IMDB ratings to RT ratings?

If i rescan my whole library, will it just load the nfos or only take what it needs from the nfo and get the rating from RT?

this is also of interest to me

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[DEPRECATED]Rotten Tomatoes ratings scraper0