ATV2 failed so what should I get
ATV2 was a big failure in my eyes not because of XBMC which I have fallen in love with but the hardware just isnt good enough..

Therefore I want to get a system that runs it well..

I was thinkng a Revo 3700 with Windows 7 Ultimate as I have a spare license.

Revo 3700

Do I really need a SSD as I have read a lot about them on here for the HTPC. I have one in my main PC but how much does it benefit this over the disk that comes with?

Also I was thinking of using a Harmony 300 as I want to be able to control my cable box and TV with it also. Is this recommended or are there better alternatives?
Paraffin Wrote:ATV2 was a big failure in my eyes not because of XBMC which I have fallen in love with but the hardware just isnt good enough..

Therefore I want to get a system that runs it well..

I was thinkng a Revo 3700 with Windows 7 Ultimate as I have a spare license.

Revo 3700

Do I really need a SSD as I have read a lot about them on here for the HTPC. I have one in my main PC but how much does it benefit this over the disk that comes with?

Also I was thinking of using a Harmony 300 as I want to be able to control my cable box and TV with it also. Is this recommended or are there better alternatives?

A SSD greatly improves the user experience. It makes the loading of 1080p fanart almost instant, allowing for a more fluid navigation.

I, personally, have a Logitech Harmony One and am extremely satisfied. I purchased a "like new" product on eBay for around 70$ almost a year ago.
I have a Harmony 650. I got it new for ~$70 on Amazon. It has essentially all the same functionality as the Harmony One but it is limited to controlling only 5 devices. Right now I have it controlling my TV, Cable Box, HTPC, and BluRay player. It works perfectly.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I think I will leave the SSD for now as I can always add it later if its not good enough..

I think I will stick with the Harmony 300 as I don't want any bells and whistles..

Which IR Receiver should I go for?
Use only HP IR receivers (P/N: 5188-1667) with Logitech Harmonies!!!!
It seems quite hard to get the HP ones in the UK, any other suggestions?
Honestly, with the Revos... a SSD drive doesnt give you a HUGE performance benefit. You can just enable DDS fanart compression and give you the same performance. I have 2 Revos, one with a regular hard drive and one with a SSD. The only big difference is with bootup times, but I have my boxes just go to sleep and waking up from sleep is even faster than a SSD bootup time.
Paraffin Wrote:It seems quite hard to get the HP ones in the UK, any other suggestions?

Philips receivers work too.

I know I might be failing but could anyone provide a link to a UK seller for either a Philips or HP IR Receiver?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 failed so what should I get0