DVD & Bluray's for use in xbmc & Apple TV 2
Starstream Wrote:x264 developers have said GPU encoders are rubbish and there is very little benefit to adding support for such platforms as the hardware is simply not suited to the task.

That makes absolutely no sense. It's likely do to paying royalties to NVIDIA for their API. Regardless, I'll continue to use Handbrake until I see proof with my own eyes that it's not capable of handling Blu ray video properly.
RosevilleHT Wrote:I'm not sure why it's taking some of you 10+ hours to do the same.

Mate, your encoding BR's with the Apple TV profile in Handbrake, which uses very conservative settings, in short it puts processing speed ahead of image quality, the ATV profile also resizes the videos to 960x544 (960x400 for a 2.35:1 aspect film), in short the ATV profile will encode blurays in an hour or 2 depending on PC specs.

The profiles I'm using put quality ahead of speed and as a result it takes a long time, I'm also encoding at the original resolution of the BD (1080p or more accurately 1920x800 cropped) where the ATV profile is approx half 1080p res.

In fact I've just kicked off an encode of my Terminator Salvation BD using the ATV profile and it's humming along at 45+fps and will be done in about 1hr and 8 minutes, the profiles and resolution I'm using encode at 3fps... do the maths.

edit:
Check this link for the official x264 profiles formatted for use in Handbrake...
http://bytebin.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/...handbrake/

I bet $10 bucks if you pick the slow profile and don't resize your video to half it's original size that your BD will take 10 or more hours, and I don't mean a BD rip you've downloaded, I mean a full size BD rip.
bircoe Wrote:I bet $10 bucks if you pick the slow profile and don't resize your video to half it's original size that your BD will take 10 or more hours, and I don't mean a BD rip you've downloaded, I mean a full size BD rip.

I'll pass on the monetary bet, but I'll check out the Handbrake profile info. I don't know why they would bother putting in an ATV2 profile with crappy settings, but if they are, I have no issue re-ripping my movies. And no, I don't download crappy online BD rips.
I didn't say it was crappy, I said they were speed focused, if they had the all out profiles and it took 5 or 6 hours people would complain and call Handbrake crap cos it takes so long to encode... applications like this need to balance speed vs quality, if users want to use manual higher quality profiles it's up to them.
RosevilleHT Wrote:That makes absolutely no sense. It's likely do to paying royalties to NVIDIA for their API. Regardless, I'll continue to use Handbrake until I see proof with my own eyes that it's not capable of handling Blu ray video properly.

No it's completely true, the GPU encoders already available pale in comparison to x264 and x264 tuned to the same parameters as the GPU encoders is just as fast.

The x264 developers who hang out on Doom9 will tell you themselves, Dark Shikari will tell you himself if you don't get banned for asking such is the frequency and annoyance of this topic for them thanks to PR fluff from GPU companies. It's got nothing to do with royalties, the hardware of GPU's is not suited for encoding quality H.264 video it's as simple as that.

Even Handbrake developers repeat the same thing.
bircoe Wrote:Mate, your encoding BR's with the Apple TV profile in Handbrake, which uses very conservative settings, in short it puts processing speed ahead of image quality, the ATV profile also resizes the videos to 960x544 (960x400 for a 2.35:1 aspect film), in short the ATV profile will encode blurays in an hour or 2 depending on PC specs.

The profiles I'm using put quality ahead of speed and as a result it takes a long time, I'm also encoding at the original resolution of the BD (1080p or more accurately 1920x800 cropped) where the ATV profile is approx half 1080p res.

In fact I've just kicked off an encode of my Terminator Salvation BD using the ATV profile and it's humming along at 45+fps and will be done in about 1hr and 8 minutes, the profiles and resolution I'm using encode at 3fps... do the maths.

edit:
Check this link for the official x264 profiles formatted for use in Handbrake...
http://bytebin.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/...handbrake/

I bet $10 bucks if you pick the slow profile and don't resize your video to half it's original size that your BD will take 10 or more hours, and I don't mean a BD rip you've downloaded, I mean a full size BD rip.

Bircoe,

Could you detail you setting in handbrake for the optimal quality setting playable on atv2?
For bluray and DVd?

thank you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD & Bluray's for use in xbmc & Apple TV 20