Remote Control for Kodi and XBMC (unofficial iOS remote)
XBMC is a great entertainment program, but typing into the text block for a search, writing titles, etc. is slow and tedious. Are there any iPad remotes in which you can use an onscreen keyboard to type successfully? I have the following and they all fail:

ROWMOTE:
PROBLEM: Whenever I attempt to type in a title in Rowmote on my iPad (ver 1) for a search in Apple TV (silver, ver 1) Flash modified XBMC, I get letters added out to infinity. Example: typing in "movie", I get "movieeeeeeeeee", i.e. the keys often appear stuck. This only happens under XBMC, not the root ATV.

Reply from the publisher: That's certainly a problem!, I'll look into this ASAP.
But so far no solution.

Reply from Firecore: We've heard of the issue but unfortunately aren't involved in the XBMC development process.

REMOTE HD:
PROBLEM: Whenever I attempt to type in a title in Remote HD, I get letters added out to infinity.

Reply from the publisher:This is a bug with XBMC that we are aware of, The keys sometimes get stuck. We will hopefully have this fixed with the next update.
This only happens in XBMC.
No fix so far.

XBMC COMMANDER:
PROBLEM: I am having a problem with the keyboard. When I go into a XBMC repository, such as 1Channel, and try to do a search by filling out the text block, I have problems. Not only does nothing type in the text block, but XBMC Commander immediately disconnects and states, "using cached data whenever possible". The only way I can get out of this frozen situation is to use my hand held remote (Logitech Harmony One) and back out of the text
block. How do I use the XBMC Commander keyboard in a repository?

Reply from publisher: Thats actually an XBMC problem. As soon as an addon opens a text window, XBMC suspends its internal web services, thus terminating all communication with XBMC Commander. I've opened a ticket in XBMCs bugtracker for this quite some time ago: http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/11213
hope this will get fixed... Unfortunately for now theres nothing i can do about it Sad

So is there an iPad XBMC remote that will operate successfully with XBMC in the keyboard mode?
@simbafish: you are posting your question in a forum of (yet) another XBMC remote, this one is called "XBMC Remote Control for iPad".

However, to answer your question, to my knowledge the clearest answer you already got from grywnn. All remotes that will connect to XBMC through any of it's services will suffer from the same problem with addons. Whenever an addon is running, XBMC suspends its remote control interfaces. There's just nothing that you can do about it than to fix this inside XBMC's codebase itself. You can follow the progress on that through issue as reported by grywnn.

XBMC Remote Control for iPad suffers from the same issue with addons, though I have never had reports of keys being stuck.
A few days ago the XBMC team released XBMC Eden release candidate 1. In there, the JSON-RPC protocol version has been updated to version 4, which causes problems with XBMC Remote Control for iPad. That's my bad; I thought the version number would only be increased at the official release, but it seems that I should have accounted for the new version number in the RC cycles already. For everyone that updated to RC1 and having problems connecting, this morning I submitted XBMC Remote Control for iPad 1.4.3 for review by Apple, which fixes the problem. I hope it will be available in the App Store in a few days.

By the way, movie support is going forward, my goal is to release it around the time that XBMC Eden is officially released as well.
For all the lucky ones that already own a new iPad, XBMC Remote Control for iPad has been updated to support full Retina display graphics. If you want to try, it's just been approved by Apple and you can download it on the App Store.

I don't have access to a new iPad (yet), so I'd be interested to know how XBMC Remote Control for iPad looks on the new display ;-).
Just bought the app and it looks very promising indeed. Is there going to be an enqueue option for music? I would really like to be able to put different songs into the playlist instead of direct playing them by clicking.
(2012-03-26, 01:57)migra Wrote: Just bought the app and it looks very promising indeed. Is there going to be an enqueue option for music? I would really like to be able to put different songs into the playlist instead of direct playing them by clicking.

Thanks for trying it out. About enqueing songs, that's not supported yet, although playlist support is on my to do list. I'm currently optimizing the last things in movie support, and hoping to submit it to the App Store in the next week or two. After that I'm going to revisit my to do list and see what's next ;-).
Hey, love the app; it's clean and apple-esk. Can't wait for the movies integration and possibly music.

I notice the settings for the app are quit sparse. Can you add an option to include the word 'the' in the title. I hate it when it's ignored.
(2012-03-28, 12:30)mosesvii Wrote: Hey, love the app; it's clean and apple-esk. Can't wait for the movies integration and possibly music.

I notice the settings for the app are quit sparse. Can you add an option to include the word 'the' in the title. I hate it when it's ignored.

Thanks for the compliment! It's great to hear, since I basically designed it to be clean and have a familiar iOS feel. Indeed there are currently not much settings, I have some more ideas, and your suggestion would fit in that list. I put it on my to do list.

I'm polishing the last bits and pieces of Movie support, and I hope to send it out to beta testers this weekend...
I'm very excited to announce that finally I have submitted version 1.5.0 to the App Store for review, which contains movie library browsing support! I've spent a lot of time optimizing it for all iPad models, including the original iPad 1, to work smoothly even with large libraries. Movies are shown as thumbnails, working in both portrait as well as landscape mode and for large enough libraries a section index is included for easy browsing. I've already updated the screenshots in the first post of this thread as a preview; I'll announce the release here too when it's approved.
(2012-04-28, 15:55)gertjanzwartjes Wrote: I'm very excited to announce that finally I have submitted version 1.5.0 to the App Store for review, which contains movie library browsing support! I've spent a lot of time optimizing it for all iPad models, including the original iPad 1, to work smoothly even with large libraries. Movies are shown as thumbnails, working in both portrait as well as landscape mode and for large enough libraries a section index is included for easy browsing. I've already updated the screenshots in the first post of this thread as a preview; I'll announce the release here too when it's approved.

Nice work! Keep it up we all appreciate it Laugh
Hot from the presses, XBMC Remote Control for iPad version 1.5.0, with movie library support is now available on the App Store.

There's some more minor changes as well: support for passwords with non-alpha-numeric characters is fixed, also music, TV shows and movies with diacritical marks are now better supported and many internal improvements to make the app run fast and robust on all iPad models.
Congrats on the update! I've just updated my app and tried out the movies view. Works like a treat. I have about 13 terabyte of videos (tv shows + movies), Ive downloaded nearly every xbmc iPad app there is and am comfortable saying yours is the best with handling movies. It was so fast at updating the movie thumbnails, scrolling down through hundreds of movies is so smooth; unlike some of the other apps out there. Great work! It would be nice to have different views available for tv shows, no doubt you have tons of things you plan on doing with the app. Keep up the great work! I'll post a review on the app store.
(2012-05-05, 01:30)mosesvii Wrote: Congrats on the update! I've just updated my app and tried out the movies view. Works like a treat. I have about 13 terabyte of videos (tv shows + movies), Ive downloaded nearly every xbmc iPad app there is and am comfortable saying yours is the best with handling movies. It was so fast at updating the movie thumbnails, scrolling down through hundreds of movies is so smooth; unlike some of the other apps out there. Great work! It would be nice to have different views available for tv shows, no doubt you have tons of things you plan on doing with the app. Keep up the great work! I'll post a review on the app store.

Thanks, it's really great to hear that it's working so smooth with a huge library like yours. A good way to start the weekend with a positive review like this, definitively motivates me to continue adding more features!

One of the things I indeed have in mind is adding new ways of browsing through music and video libraries, like an album and genre browser for music. Another thing I plan on adding is a detailed movie/TV show view (with plot, rating, actors, etc). I haven't really thought about other ways of browsing TV shows, suggestions are welcome of course ;-).

Another thing which is on my list is adding a view for current audio/video playlist. So enough to choose from. But quality remains very important to me, for every new feature I add.
A minor update 1.5.1, with a few minor bugfixes and support for repeating tap-and-hold up/down/left/right navigation and volume +/- buttons.

Want to give it a try? Check out or download XBMC Remote Control for iPad on the App Store.
Hey gertjanzwarjes, I am having some trouble with your app. Do you mind helping me out so I can tell you how awesome it is? Whenever I try to connect, I get a message that says, "Error Connecting to XBMC: Unsupported protocol version 5, most likely the version of XBMC you are trying to connect with is not supported. Check application settings or XBMC host, tap connection LED to reconnect."

My IP and port settings are correct. I'm not using a password. I am running one of the recent nightly builds (I can't remember which one off hand). Any idea what I should do to get this going? Thanks in advance.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote Control for Kodi and XBMC (unofficial iOS remote)2