Can I Have My RC 6 Green Button Back Please
Question 
Hi,

Windows 7, 32bit, SP1, fully patched & updated.

Genuine Microsoft RC 6 remote/IR

Problem - the green button no longer launches Windows Media Center or XBMC.

Until today my RC6 would start up WMC with the green button. A friend told me to try XBMC, installed the latest release, launched it & found the remote didn't function in all the menu's. Told my mate, he said install the MCE plug-in listed under add on's within XBMC. So I did, installed & enabled it, it told me to reboot the computer, I did.

Now, the green button only works if I have XBMC launched with the mouse, then press the green button & up pops WMC? Without XBMC running, the green button launches nothing. Huh

I've disabled, uninstalled the XBMC MCE plug-in, rebooted the PC, uninstalled, re-installed the RC6 drivers in device manager. But it still doesn't work. Sad The plug-in said in the description that it can restore the defaults as though a new install of an RC6 - How? I tried using the default option on the plug-in, but it made no difference. Stare

I want to uninstall XBMC & have my system back to the way it was when Mr Gates flogged me Windows 7. Wink

Can anyone help?

TIA
RC6 remotes use the eHome driver, and this is configured by a registry setting. MCERemote works by modifying this registry setting. By default it configures the green button to send the keypress ctrl-shift-W. This is so you can configure ctrl-shift-W as the hotkey for the XBMC icon, after which pressing the green button will launch XBMC.

If you want to use MCERemote but just have the green button set back to the default, open the MCERemote add-on, select the Configure MCERemote settings option, and set the Windows button to "mce" (without the quotes). This tells MCERemote to set the button action for the green button back to the default.

To restore the remote registry key to the Windows default open the MCERemote add-on and select the option Apply Windows default settings to remote.

To completely reinstall the remote remove the eHome driver in Device Manager (it's under Human Interface Devices and also under USB devices), then before rebooting delete the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr

Reboot, reconnect the USB receiver and the key should be recreated when the eHome driver is installed.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:If you want to use MCERemote but just have the green button set back to the default, open the MCERemote add-on, select the Configure MCERemote settings option, and set the Windows button to "mce" (without the quotes). This tells MCERemote to set the button action for the green button back to the default.

I wasn't able to reset the Windows button with "mce" -- the add-on gave me an invalid setting error.

I was able to reset my Volume Up, Volume Down and Mute buttons with "mce" without issues. (Thanks very much for the patch to allow use of WM_APPCOMMAND in XBMC, by the way.)
Ah, yes, hmm. It does look like a bug in the MCERemote add-on. Try leaving the setting for the Windows button blank instead of setting it to "mce". I need to revamp the add-on for v11.0, so I'll have a look at the problem then. Thanks for spotting this.

JR
No problem. I was able to find the relevant part of the mapping table in the registry and manually edit it back to the default, but normally that would be very difficult to do because the mapping table registry key is so hard to read. Looking forward to the revamped add-on.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can I Have My RC 6 Green Button Back Please0