Xbmc install reporting cant patch to frontrow
hello,
I bought a new appletv2. i jailbroke it with sess0npass tetherd on mac book. Before the xbmc install my appletv reported this

appletv software 4.2.1
OS build version 4.3

Apple-TV:~ root# uname -as
Darwin Apple-TV 11.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 11.0.0: Thu Feb 10 21:46:56 PST 2011; root:xnu-1735.46~2/RELEASE_ARM_S5L8930X AppleTV2,1 arm K66AP Darwin

I followed the instruction provided in the link
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Ins...MC_on_ATV2 but stuck at the last stage. The appletv didnt reboot. This is what i see in my latest attempt.

Unpacking org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (from .../org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2_10.0-7_iphoneos-arm.deb) ...
Setting up bsdiff (4.3-1) ...
Setting up gawk (3.1.6-2) ...
Setting up org.xbmc.xbmc-seatbeltunlock (1.0-1) ...
Found ATV2 running ios 4.2+/AppleTV
Frontrow app md5sum is unknown, not patching
Setting up org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 (10.0-7) ...

Didnt not reboot. Dont see xbmc menu either. Any help would be appreciated.

also tried to type the killall cmd

Apple-TV:~ root# killall Lowtide
No matching processes were found
Apple-TV:~ root#
"Frontrow app md5sum is unknown, not patching"

That's normal, sess0npass pre-patches Frontrow app, the md5sum is changed, we don't try to patch it again.

"Apple-TV:~ root# killall Lowtide"

You are running OS build version 4.3, Apple changed the name of the frontrow app from Lowtide to AppleTV. Try "killall AppleTV"

Note, we don't force a reboot. Do that would require re-tethering. We just restart the frontrow app. Also since you are running 4.3, you might want to install the nightly.
yeah i realised after i wrote this that i need to issue killall AppleTV instead of Lowtide but that didnt help either. I did not see xbmc in the main screen. Will try nightly build and update this.
couldnt find instructions to install xbmc on os 4.3. where do i find instructions to install nightly builds. maybe i am not searching the places. Couple of questions:
1. Does xbmc work on OS 4.3 ?
2. If i remove the power on a jailbroken appletv does that mean i have to jailbreak it again as per your statement above about re-thetering.
"Note, we don't force a reboot. Do that would require re-tethering. "
3. Should i just downgrade appletv2 to 4.2.1 to be in sync with official xbmc release ?
1. yes, i run it on 4.3 because 4.2 netflix didnt work. running the 3/26 nightly currently and it works pretty well. crashes everyone now and then but works well enough.

2. no. you have to retether, not real jb. its called a tethered boot. launch seasonpass. should be two buttons, right one says boot tethered. click that and follow the instructions. really simple and works most of the time. a few times ive done it i wouldnt get video. tv would be blank but if you pushed left or right on the apple remote youd hear sounds like it was scrolling. doing a second tethered boot fixes it so far.

3. you could but wheres the fun in that? live on the cutting edge i say....

Side note: unfortunately keith took out the install instructions for the nightlys, so you gotta look around to get that part figured out. luckily I did my install before they were removed. havent got the gumption to update to 4/1 yet.
THANKS davilla
Update: XBMC installed finally. Havent tested netflix or previous existing apple features yet.

If anyone has the same issues that i ran across downloading the latest release of sess0npass would probably resolve it. I updated sess0npass last night and performed the complete jailbreaking process. I then installed nitotv and from there installed xbmc. This is the only way i could get xbmc to install on mine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Xbmc install reporting cant patch to frontrow0