NAS BUILD - need suggestions
im about to embark on a new build, this time a NAS

id like it to be low cost ofc, low power consumption and alot of sata slots for my drives Smile

suggestions on cpu, motherboard, ram its probably all i need. but a full case setup is also welcome

whats most important to me is power consumption and WOL possibility

i currently got a
Quote:Corsair CX 500W PSU
ATX 12V V2.3, Standard. 2x 6+2pin PCIe, 5x SATA...

maybe it wont fit with the things you suggest, so if thats the case. suggest something better Smile
What software are you planning to run? e.g. if you were wanting to use ZFS then that would dictate the amount of memory you need.
Have a look at this Thread:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=7...post727463

The new AMD Fusion boards are good news for HTPC and NAS people.. the low power version 9W and the more HTPC friendly ones 18W

Some Fusion mobos
MSI E350N-USB3
Asus E35M1

NAS Case: Fractal Design Array R2 (can hold 6 3.5" drives and one SSD)
Maybe a bit expensive, but most ITX boxes will be for HTPC in mind. This one will fit the motherboards above and 6+1 drives!
I'm a huge fan of unraid as a NAS OS. It is basically a stripped down linux kernal with software raid. I have streamed HD content to three different machines from it (granted, a bit hardware dependent) and not seen any issues with the software raid. The beauty of it is that you can add hard drives as you need them without the need to rebuild arrays or anything like that. The only requirement is that the largest drive in the array needs to be your parity drive. I would just buy a 2TB drive for parity and then use whatever you feel like using for the data. I'm currently serving music to my house and almost 500 movies/TV shows to my xbmc and popcorn hour devices.
I'd also recommend that you look into unraid. You can start with the free version, it uses little power because it will spin down drives when they are not in use, and it is very easy to expand. Check out this page on the unraid forums for some server h/w suggestions.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NAS BUILD - need suggestions0