Can you Still First-Time Jailbreak an ATV2 to < 4.3.1 without SHSH?
itsalltrash Wrote:@jd2157 you are correct, 4.2.1 (2100) is more like iOS 4.3 as it was released before iOS 4.3.1. However, for all intent and purposes for JB it is considered in the 4.3.1 family.

Considered in the 4.3.1 family by whom? Both iClarified.com and Wikipedia indicate that build 8F202 is built on iOS 4.3 and not iOS 4.3.1. Also, when you look at the naming of the ipsw file from Apple themselves it's 4.3 and not 4.3.1:

http://appldnld.apple.com/AppleTV/041-05...store.ipsw

So yes I agree, by many people it's "considered it part of the iOS 4.3.1 family" but that doesn't mean they're correct. Version numbers between Apple TV software and iOS are confusing enough so IMHO it's best to stick to the actual versions in hopes of reducing the confusion.
itsalltrash Wrote:However, Keith has mentioned that he should have a newer build by this weekend, next week at the latest. If you can hold off for just a bit longer, maybe this tweak will correct your issue. Be warned, though, that he says that he is not specifically addressing any audio issues.

I'd assume the next build out won't fix the ac3/dts issues. The issue most likely won't be fixed until AudioEngine is merged... But there is currently no ETA to when this will happen.

As for having AC3/DTS working with 4.3, I can't find a single post in the forums where someone has it working, apart from Keith. He is one of the lucky ones to have a compatible setup.

For me 4.2.1 with the latest official build of xbmc is the most stable.
jd2157 Wrote:Considered in the 4.3.1 family by whom? Both iClarified.com and Wikipedia indicate that build 8F202 is built on iOS 4.3 and not iOS 4.3.1. Also, when you look at the naming of the ipsw file from Apple themselves it's 4.3 and not 4.3.1:

http://appldnld.apple.com/AppleTV/041-05...store.ipsw

So yes I agree, by many people it's "considered it part of the iOS 4.3.1 family" but that doesn't mean they're correct. Version numbers between Apple TV software and iOS are confusing enough so IMHO it's best to stick to the actual versions in hopes of reducing the confusion.

Yeah I made the mistake of calling it 4.3.1 also. I think it's better known as 4.3v2

4.3_8F191m (4.2) being version 1
4.3_8F202 (4.2.1) being version 2

LOL still doesn't make much sense to me considering 4.2 (4.1) and 4.2.1 (4.1.1) were named differently *shrug*
More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_version...:_Apple_TV
DN38416 Wrote:I'd assume the next build out won't fix the ac3/dts issues. The issue most likely won't be fixed until AudioEngine is merged... But there is currently no ETA to when this will happen.

As for having AC3/DTS working with 4.3, I can't find a single post in the forums where someone has it working, apart from Keith. He is one of the lucky ones to have a compatible setup.

For me 4.2.1 with the latest official build of xbmc is the most stable.

Is the ac3/dts issue with 4.3 a xbmc issue or is it a jailbreak issue?

Seems to me that the issue has to do with the jailbreak, since the same xbmc build works fine with the older ios firmware.
@jd2157 from a Jailbreak standpoint, the iOS 4.3.1 exploit is the same used on the ATV2 4.2.1(2100). That is the only thing that I am getting at. So when you talk about jailbreaks, it's the 4.3.1 jailbreak, lumping in the ATV2 4.2.1(2100).

As to the right way to call it without causing confusion... good luck. I even got caught up with the version being off from the iOS build so I would rather go with official ATV2 versions, such as 4.2.1(2100).
itsalltrash Wrote:@jd2157 from a Jailbreak standpoint, the iOS 4.3.1 exploit is the same used on the ATV2 4.2.1(2100). That is the only thing that I am getting at. So when you talk about jailbreaks, it's the 4.3.1 jailbreak, lumping in the ATV2 4.2.1(2100).

As to the right way to call it without causing confusion... good luck. I even got caught up with the version being off from the iOS build so I would rather go with official ATV2 versions, such as 4.2.1(2100).

The jailbreak is specific to the iOS version not the Apple TV software version. Apple TV software is just an application running on top of iOS. It's iOS itself that's being exploited so it'll run applications Apple hasn't approved.
So I'm not sure what you mean by "the iOS 4.3.1 exploit is the same used on the TV2 4.2.1(2100)" or "lumping in the ATV2 4.2.1(2100)".

I would rather Apple TV software versions weren't mentioned until they're relevant to the discussion. They're relevant when talking about fixes/features within the atv2 GUI but not when discussing jailbreaking. Ever notice how all the tutorials refer to the iOS version and not the Apple TV software version?

e.g. http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14637
jd2157 Wrote:e.g. http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=14637

Funny you should mention that. If you go directly to the Seas0nPass website, and not to a repeat site, you will see that FireCore (the makers of Seas0nPass) call it 4.2.1(iOS4.3) and not by the apple build version.

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

I think that we are disputing a silly thing here. We both seem to have good intentions and information, let's try throwing that towards people who need it. For consistency sake, I will use both your preference and mine together: ATV2 4.2.1(2100) (iOS Build 8F202).
itsalltrash Wrote:Funny you should mention that. If you go directly to the Seas0nPass website, and not to a repeat site, you will see that FireCore (the makers of Seas0nPass) call it 4.2.1(iOS4.3) and not by the apple build version.

http://support.firecore.com/entries/387605

I think that we are disputing a silly thing here. We both seem to have good intentions and information, let's try throwing that towards people who need it. For consistency sake, I will use both your preference and mine together: ATV2 4.2.1(2100) (iOS Build 8F202).

Agreed we're getting into the weeds a bit here. I'm just advocating for some diligence in how we refer to the software pieces and their versions in hopes of eliminating/reducing a source of confusion for many. For instance, when you say "not by the apple build version" it's not clear if you mean the Apple TV software build version or the iOS build version.

Seas0npass has named both the Apple TV software version and the iOS version correctly so we should do the same. Personally I find it less confusing to refer to the iOS version in the context of jailbreaking since that's consistent with iPhones/iPods/iPads... mentioning the Apple TV software layer adds confusion... but to each his/her own.

For the sake of argument, I'd tweak your format a bit Smile
ATV2 4.2.1(2100), iOS 4.3(8F202)
jd2157 Wrote:For the sake of argument, I'd tweak your format a bit Smile
ATV2 4.2.1(2100), iOS 4.3(8F202)

I'll take it! Smile
Just adding, bought new aTV2 for friend yesterday. it was prelaoded with IOS 4.3. Ran tiny umbrella, saved ssh blobs for ios 4.2.1. Custom restored it through Itunes and ran Greenpoison rc 6.1. All hunky dory no probs.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can you Still First-Time Jailbreak an ATV2 to < 4.3.1 without SHSH?0