!!WORKING!! Netflix+Fullscreen+IR RC+
Thumbs Up 
I had tried the XBMC Flix NETFLIX addon for Dharma 10 now in the repository...I did get it working, but found it sub par.

So I got something else working instead.

First, why the current addon isn't good enough (for me) -

For one, it just launches Internet Explorer and plays the video in Kiosk mode with Microsoft Silverlight...kinda "meh" if you ask me. That defaults to the native resolution of the video, which means (for me at 1080p) there are black bars around the edges until you click fullscreen with your mouse. There is supposed to be a hotkey (F) to make it go fullscreen, but that doesn't work most of the time the Window doesn't get focus on my box... XBMC kind of retains focus "in the background", annoyingly...more meh.

In additional, remote control button presses don't work. There is a IEwrapper to resolve this, but I believe it is older, and I could not get it to work with my Win7 pro 64bit htpc. There are other workarounds using separate applications (EventGhost and Autohotkey)...but there has never been a compatible driver for my (admittedly kajankee off-brand IR receiver) for EventGhost...basically EG detects some but not nearly enough keys to make it feasible for control both whilst in Internet Explorer Netflix Silverlight mode and when back in XBMC.

Now on to my solution -
First, I find Autohotkey lacking, so I use Autoit for this solution. Instead of EventGhost I use a nifty little hole-in-the-wall program KeyboardRedirector.

Together these two applications allow me to have good Netflix support with my XBMC HTPC Server a little bit differently than you might expect...specifically - I use Windows Media Center to Browse and Play Netflix vids...which works great and fully supports my cheapie knockoff Diamond/Formosa/R6 WMC IR receiver to boot!

OK OK, I hear your eyes screaming already - "WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER?! Double-Yew-Tee-Eff mate! This is the XBMC Forums, go back to your Microsoft Girlie Cave and pop a squat!" - Don't trip, I'll explain.

I still use XBMC...I just cheat with the the MS WMC skank around the corner for this application. No biggie.

What I do is use the XBMC Executor Plug-in to launch an exe (compiled from an Autoit script), which launches Windows Media Center directly to the Netflix application and gives it focus. I also added a convenient "Netflix" button to the touch screen of my Harmony 900 remote which can run the exe as well.

My Autoit script to launch Netflix within XBMC is as follows (For this to work you will need to manually install and run the Netflix addon for Windows Media Center once first, clicky here to do that).

Code:
#include <IE.au3>
Opt("WinTitleMatchMode",2)
ProcessClose ("activateXBMC.exe")
Run('"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" windowsmediacenterapp:{e6f46126-f8a9-4a97-9159-b70b07890112}\{982ea9d3-915c-4713-a3c8-99a4688b7c59}?EntryPointParameters=')
WinWaitActive("Windows Media Center", 5)
WinActivate("Windows Media Center")
Exit

XBMC Netflix is great, all remote buttons work and browsing is very good. The menu's are very Similiar to the Netflix implementation on XBOX360 (surprise surprise right?), which is far superior than anything that has ever been browser or App based for P.C. to date that I am aware of. The thumbs load properly and with correct sizing, it is not nearly as clunky and "scripty" feeling as the XBMC Netflix Plug-in.

The best thing is there is no obnoxious WMC Logo or anything major to reveal that you're even using Windows Media Center. The untrained eye won't even notice the small Windows Media Center icon in the top left corner that briefly shows (somewhat camouflaged by a newly loading screen of eye-catching red netflix menus and movie thumbs as the page is loading for a few seconds).

When I am done watching Netflix and want to go back to XBMC, I press the "Close Netflix" soft button I created on my Harmony Remote touchscreen and it launches another Autoit script as follows -

Code:
#include <IE.au3>
WinClose("Windows Media Center")
ProcessClose ("autoitnetflix.exe")
WinActivate("XBMC")
Exit

That's it. Works great.

I do know that Silverlight 5 release is imminent, and from what MS has said this will add standard WMC button press controls...when this comes it may also resolve the fullscreen issue, making the XBMC Netflix addon viable...though I still prefer the Microsoft Style Browsing for Netflix due to the latency and thumbnail quirks when using the generic Netflix API as opposed to whatever uber code MS and Netflix have worked out in their relationship for XBOX360, which now seems to have been ported to PC for WMC as well? <shrug>

If anybody wants to see my KeyboardRedirector and/or Logitech Harmony Remote configs, let me know and I'll post screenshots.
Can you help me with another AutoIt script? I was following these directions and got several webpages to work. Problem is ESPNnetworks.com only works in IE. I thought it'd be simple to swap out the 'chrome' parts for 'ie' parts, but when I do, the script won't run at all.

Can you help me? I still want the same functionality; launch http://www.espnnetworks.com from .exe and when closing it, reopen 7MC.

This is what I was trying to get working:

<script src="http://pastebin.com/embed_js.php?i=5w256r1i"></script>

$temp = EnvGet(“localappdata”Wink
Run("C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe http://www.espnnetworks.com/", $temp&"\Internet Explorer\Application", @SW_MAXIMIZE)
ProcessWaitClose(“iexplore.exe”Wink
Run(@WindowsDir&”\ehome\ehshell.exe”,@WindowsDir&”\ehome”Wink
Kriosym Wrote:I had tried the XBMC Flix NETFLIX addon for Dharma 10 now in the repository...I did get it working, but found it sub par.

So I got something else working instead.

First, why the current addon isn't good enough (for me) -

For one, it just launches Internet Explorer and plays the video in Kiosk mode with Microsoft Silverlight...kinda "meh" if you ask me. That defaults to the native resolution of the video, which means (for me at 1080p) there are black bars around the edges until you click fullscreen with your mouse. There is supposed to be a hotkey (F) to make it go fullscreen, but that doesn't work most of the time the Window doesn't get focus on my box... XBMC kind of retains focus "in the background", annoyingly...more meh.

In additional, remote control button presses don't work. There is a IEwrapper to resolve this, but I believe it is older, and I could not get it to work with my Win7 pro 64bit htpc. There are other workarounds using separate applications (EventGhost and Autohotkey)...but there has never been a compatible driver for my (admittedly kajankee off-brand IR receiver) for EventGhost...basically EG detects some but not nearly enough keys to make it feasible for control both whilst in Internet Explorer Netflix Silverlight mode and when back in XBMC.

Now on to my solution -
First, I find Autohotkey lacking, so I use Autoit for this solution. Instead of EventGhost I use a nifty little hole-in-the-wall program KeyboardRedirector.

Together these two applications allow me to have good Netflix support with my XBMC HTPC Server a little bit differently than you might expect...specifically - I use Windows Media Center to Browse and Play Netflix vids...which works great and fully supports my cheapie knockoff Diamond/Formosa/R6 WMC IR receiver to boot!

OK OK, I hear your eyes screaming already - "WINDOWS MEDIA CENTER?! Double-Yew-Tee-Eff mate! This is the XBMC Forums, go back to your Microsoft Girlie Cave and pop a squat!" - Don't trip, I'll explain.

I still use XBMC...I just cheat with the the MS WMC skank around the corner for this application. No biggie.

What I do is use the XBMC Executor Plug-in to launch an exe (compiled from an Autoit script), which launches Windows Media Center directly to the Netflix application and gives it focus. I also added a convenient "Netflix" button to the touch screen of my Harmony 900 remote which can run the exe as well.

My Autoit script to launch Netflix within XBMC is as follows (For this to work you will need to manually install and run the Netflix addon for Windows Media Center once first, clicky here to do that).

Code:
#include <IE.au3>
ProcessClose ("activateXBMC.exe")
Run('"C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" windowsmediacenterapp:{e6f46126-f8a9-4a97-9159-b70b07890112}\{982ea9d3-915c-4713-a3c8-99a4688b7c59}?EntryPointParameters=')
WinWaitActive("Windows Media Center", 5)
WinActivate("Windows Media Center")
Exit

XBMC Netflix is great, all remote buttons work and browsing is very good. The menu's are very Similiar to the Netflix implementation on XBOX360 (surprise surprise right?), which is far superior than anything that has ever been browser or App based for P.C. to date that I am aware of. The thumbs load properly and with correct sizing, it is not nearly as clunky and "scripty" feeling as the XBMC Netflix Plug-in.

The best thing is there is no obnoxious WMC Logo or anything major to reveal that you're even using Windows Media Center. The untrained eye won't even notice the small Windows Media Center icon in the top left corner that briefly shows (somewhat camouflaged by a newly loading screen of eye-catching red netflix menus and movie thumbs as the page is loading for a few seconds).

When I am done watching Netflix and want to go back to XBMC, I press the "Close Netflix" soft button I created on my Harmony Remote touchscreen and it launches another Autoit script as follows -

Code:
#include <IE.au3>
WinClose("Windows Media Center")
ProcessClose ("autoitnetflix.exe")
WinActivate("XBMC")
Exit

That's it. Works great.

I do know that Silverlight 5 release is imminent, and from what MS has said this will add standard WMC button press controls...when this comes it may also resolve the fullscreen issue, making the XBMC Netflix addon viable...though I still prefer the Microsoft Style Browsing for Netflix due to the latency and thumbnail quirks when using the generic Netflix API as opposed to whatever uber code MS and Netflix have worked out in their relationship for XBOX360, which now seems to have been ported to PC for WMC as well? <shrug>

If anybody wants to see my KeyboardRedirector and/or Logitech Harmony Remote configs, let me know and I'll post screenshots.

Good post. I managed to set this up using Eventghost with a combination of MCE Remote/XBMC plugins, and keyboard emulation (for controlling MCE while using Netflix).
For the most part it seems to work good. The only problem is that once focus is taken away from XBMC for moving to WinMCE, when it returns to XBMC Eventghost sends double keypresses. I know the reason for this is that I had to add the keyboard emulation for controlling MCE while in Netflix because Eventghost disables WINMCE. The only way to solve it is to switch inputs away from the HTPC on my harmony, and then switch back. This solves the double keypresses until I once again take focus away from XBMC and bring it back.
If you could post your KeyboardRedirector and Harmony configs, I'd appreciate it.
So I actually got it working properly using this thread as a guide. I had to modify it a bit for Windows 7; I used the newer Microsoft MCE Remote - Vista/Win7 plugin, and had to add a folder and enable/disable macros for 'ehshell', which is Windows 7 Media Center.
So no more double keys, and I have exactly the controls mapped that I need for each service.
All in all, a bit of work, but great idea and a much better looking and functioning solution than the current Netflix plugin for XBMC.
Hey. thanks for the post. The scripts works perfectly in opening WMC right to Netflix, Which is what I've been trying to do.

I do have a question though. I created a Bat file (which is now an EXE) that will Kill the iexplore and Autoit process simultaneously, but I'm not able to run that EXE in your script after the "run WMC" command. I'm not that great at coding and I was wondering if you knew how to add a second Run command after the WMC command in the same script

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
!!WORKING!! Netflix+Fullscreen+IR RC+0